Nintendo's secret double strategy?

So, then you are assuming that this is as quick as nintendo can feed these things out? They are still in demand just about EVERYWHERE.

You seriously think that nintendo is making them as fast as they can?

dakuda I think the others have a good point...It would raise more money the way sovieto explained...while also bringing in more people to the wii market and giving them more time to work on the games they have delayed to make them better than they would have been

dakuda said:
A company doing that would shoot themselves in the foot.
but they are doing it and its successfull.
im pretty sure most consoles sell their the most in the first couple years then after that its just accumulation. so now would be the time to do it.

Exactly. Rather than sell a ton and then burn out in a few years, they're going to spread out the wii's success in an attempt to keep the console in demand throughout its entire lifetime, something that no console has ever attempted, let alone accomplished.

You do have a point. Nintendo has us chasing the carrot on the stick. At this point, I have stopped checking the Brawl update site. By the time the game comes out, we will know 90% of the characters, all their moves, all the stages and everything about the game. Unless Brawl has some kick-ass surprises and Master Chief as a secret character, Sakurai is just diluting the freshness of the game by releasing all the aspects of Brawl.

Unfortunately that is all mere speculation without any real evidence to support the claims of conspiracies. Metroid Prime 3 was delayed because Retro wanted more time to work on the game, not because Nintendo wanted to do it for **** and giggles. We don't know why Brawl was delayed but I heard from IGN that there were some bugs so it's probable that Nintendo is working on it and online. No one is forcing you to look at Smash Dojo. As for production, I wouldn't doubt that Nintendo is holding back consoles but only to increase holiday supply. Selling 800k in the summer is pretty impressive and Nintendo just can't flip a switch and suddenly start pumping out consoles. Besides that, Nintendo is conservative and doesn't want an excessive amount of supply.

To answer the question that you ask in an attempt to negate any objections, it's because I know Nintendo. I know that it does things the ways they want to. I know that it's not afraid to delay games to improve the general quality of the games. Am I disappointed that games don't come out earlier? Sure I am. But I don't ***** and whine and try to assign ulterior motives to paint Nintendo as the big bad corporation that loves to screw over its customers.

It makes sense because you say it in a way it can only make sense ;)

I think this is just one of those conspiracy like theory's. Its nice to talk about and its nice to think nintendo would actually do this but I dont think its true.

Actually companies do slow down on production and there are very good reasons for it in the supply and demand chain. Simply put it is good for Nintendo to not ramp up production brecause it keeps the console price up. As soon as the flood the market the Wii price would start going down. Of course there is a fine line in making sure you get the supply right and so far Nintendo is getting it right. I also suppose instead of ramping up production they will release a different model anyway to run alongside the current Wii, that way they get even more sales. That would probably have extra memory and maybe even a DVD or HDD/BlueRay drive.... I'm sure even Sony would like their drive in the Wii.

Raz

Good grief people.
The Wii has sold twice as fast as the XBox 360. Nintendo makes a profit on every Wii it builds. They are not holding back production. There are Wii's to be had in a lot of places. The rate of Demand was unexpected, plain and simple.

Just adjust your tinfoil hat and worry about other things.

LoganSix said:
Good grief people.
The Wii has sold twice as fast as the XBox 360. Nintendo makes a profit on every Wii it builds. They are not holding back production. There are Wii's to be had in a lot of places. The rate of Demand was unexpected, plain and simple.

Just adjust your tinfoil hat and worry about other things.

QFT... So many people think they are holding back because you look at other systems and how they are so abundant. I donno about sales figures at the moment but they surpassed the 360 a couple of months ago and that's just insane.

Would you rather Nintendo mass produced with a mass amount of problems like ps2? They would have to remove that Nintendo seal.

wii is selling a lot, yes. but as you said they make a profit on console, youre telling me they are selling all those wiis, and that with the huge profit from the DS, they cant ramp up production? bullshit, it uses a last gen graphics chip and motion sensitivity isnt exactly new, you telling me they cant open up a couple more factories for production?
its selling amazingly, but not that amazingly. they knew the wii would be a success though after putting a ds was. youve heard everywhere "the ds was testing the waters"

Razoola said:
Actually companies do slow down on production and there are very good reasons for it in the supply and demand chain. Simply put it is good for Nintendo to not ramp up production brecause it keeps the console price up. As soon as the flood the market the Wii price would start going down. Of course there is a fine line in making sure you get the supply right and so far Nintendo is getting it right. I also suppose instead of ramping up production they will release a different model anyway to run alongside the current Wii, that way they get even more sales. That would probably have extra memory and maybe even a DVD or HDD/BlueRay drive.... I'm sure even Sony would like their drive in the Wii.

Raz
I'm pretty sure the Wii isnt powerfull enough to run it's own blue-ray.

Sovieto said:
.., they cant ramp up production? bullshit, it uses a last gen graphics chip and motion sensitivity isnt exactly new, you telling me they cant open up a couple more factories for production?...

So, how's that widget factory you got going, huh? You are making a million widgets a month and now people want you to make 2 million.

Can you even comprehend how many Wii's are being made? Over a million a month. Do you even know what it takes to "open up a factory"? It takes six months to build a house, how long do you think it takes to build a "factory", stock it with material and hire people to build the components? Oh, and get the person who supplies you with material to double their production too.

Want to get an idea what it is like? I want you to make 5 paper airplanes and time how long it takes you to make those five. Now, I want you to keep making 5 paper airplanes at the same speed for 5 hours. Tomorrow, I want you to make 7 paper airplanes in the same time it took you to make 5. And the day after tomorrow, I want you to make 10 paper airplanes in the same time you made the first 5. BTW, you can only make 40 airplanes at a time until your cousin from out-of-state brings you more paper. Have fun.

Back