Official Baseball Talk

FWELR said:
thought this was the right place to put this rather than in the gaming thread (this is for more than discussing just your team playing, everybody ;))

just saw a commercial for MLB 07 the Show, which they call the most realistic baseball game ever. just had to laugh at that, realizing that in about a month or 2, the Bigs will come and we'll be able to control everything, and then next year MLB 2K8 will come out for Wii, and that'll be realistic instead of arcade-style. so my question is this: Why does Sony think that because I can see the sweat on a player's face do I think I'm actually playing, when it feels more realistic with Miis and the wiimote? silly sony, just had to bring that up.

I can't wait for the Big's to come out. It sounds like it's going to be awesome.

this one is actually Matt Cain going back; Miggy C. yes, Big_league_slugger, Miguel Cabrera for Matt Cain and Pedro Feliz (our 3B that swings at everything but can hit it hard) hs been suggested by Giants and Marlins fans alike.

If miggy is going anywhere it will be in '09. But I think we are going to get a stadium deal done and then lock up Miggy and Dontrelle long term.

Bigs will be fun.. but no online.. its official. But it will still be fun!

that sucks. in aprl i went down to boston and say the Yanks lose, they ended up getting swept by boston.. i think or lost 2 out of 3.......... Yanks lost again... They will hopefully break out soon and win win win

Attachments

• 18_7_35.gif
    18_7_35.gif
    41.3 KB · Views: 30
jowii said:
i don't. i don't want the hall to have anything but an asterisk next to his name.

i agree, we should put an asterisk next to bonds' name.

but..... if we're doing that, then let's do this, too:
Put an asterisk next to Babe Ruth saying "He did not face any Negro League pitchers.

Put an asterisk next to Cy Young saying "He pitched on a higher mound than is used today."

Look, if you'll remember, Jason Grimsley got busted for using HGH last year. Had anybody else even heard of Jason Grimsley before that happened? If he's doing it, who the hell else isn't? Everybody cheats, at everything. If you don't believe me, don't lock your front door or you car tonight, because nobody will try to cheat and take your hard-earned stuff, right?

I was rooting for the your boyz last night FWELR. :nono: I dislike the Muts.

I would think about taking Benitez off your hands. The Fish usually have a knack at rejuvenating a closers career ie: Armando Benitez, Todd Jones, Joe Borowski

FWELR said:
i agree, we should put an asterisk next to bonds' name.

but..... if we're doing that, then let's do this, too:
Put an asterisk next to Babe Ruth saying "He did not face any Negro League pitchers.

Put an asterisk next to Cy Young saying "He pitched on a higher mound than is used today."

Look, if you'll remember, Jason Grimsley got busted for using HGH last year. Had anybody else even heard of Jason Grimsley before that happened? If he's doing it, who the hell else isn't? Everybody cheats, at everything. If you don't believe me, don't lock your front door or you car tonight, because nobody will try to cheat and take your hard-earned stuff, right?

First off, I don't think that giving in to the "well everybody's doing it" idea is worth the pixels its printed on. If thats what makes you sleep easy at night as a giants fan, then so be it. But this how I feel about it. All of the other inequalities of baseball that you cited were all parts of the state of the game at the time (the rules, the field set up, etc) and not the state of human beings at the time. Thats why they are called "performance enhancing" drugs. They take what you could do on your own and amplify it to impossible levels. HGH (and I know this, as I have to take a medical licensing exam in about 3 weeks) is a natural hormone secreted into your blood stream in a tightly regulated manner. No amount of exercise and weight lifting can achieve the concentration levels achieved via an injection of it. Testosterone is the same way.
Changing the rules, the equipment, those are accepted changes. They change as the world does. No one disputes the greatness of those players. But when a player's greatness was achieved without his own natural strength, ability, and determination as the only things that he had, then that player is not part of the same category as Ruth and Young. They are part of a different category. A category of people, be they good or bad, that are unnaturally good at baseball. What makes the legends legends is the fact that they achieved great things by themselves; the way they were born. Thats what has inspired the young to the old for as long as the game has been around. That is what makes them great.

If want to enjoy an artificial performance sport go watch Nascar. At least they are honest about the machine's contribution to their success.

Last edited:
jowii said:
First off, I don't think that giving in to the "well everybody's doing it" idea is worth the pixels its printed on. If thats what makes you sleep easy at night as a giants fan, then so be it. But this how I feel about it. All of the other inequalities of baseball that you cited were all parts of the state of the game at the time (the rules, the field set up, etc) and not the state of human beings at the time. Thats why they are called "performance enhancing" drugs. They take what you could do on your own and amplify it to impossible levels. HGH (and I know this, as I have to take a medical licensing exam in about 3 weeks) is a natural hormone secreted into your blood stream in a tightly regulated manner. No amount of exercise and weight lifting can achieve the concentration levels achieved via an injection of it. Testosterone is the same way.
Changing the rules, the equipment, those are accepted changes. They change as the world does. No one disputes the greatness of those players. But when a player's greatness was achieved without his own natural strength, ability, and determination as the only things that he had, then that player is not part of the same category as Ruth and Young. They are part of a different category. A category of people, be they good or bad, that are unnaturally good at baseball. What makes the legends legends is the fact that they achieved great things by themselves; the way they were born. Thats what has inspired the young to the old for as long as the game has been around. That is what makes them great.

If want to enjoy an artificial performance sport go watch Nascar. At least they are honest about the machine's contribution to their success.

im not saying that what bonds did was right or wrong, ive said that before. what i was trying to say in that post was that you cannot put an asterisk next to bonds unless you put an asterisk next to just about every other single person because the rules change over time. back when everybody was doing these things, (yes i do believe bonds, mcguire, sosa, clemens, giambi, etc did performance enhancing drugs, and bonds was the only one who did not break the unwritten rule saying they wouldn't tell anyone. that's why he might get indicted and nobody else will.) there was no rule in baseball at the time saying that they couldn't do these things. the only law they broke is the federal law saying you cannot take these drugs without a perscription. so, therefore, you can't really fault bonds baseball-wise. you can do it otherwise, but denying his greatness (500 steals, 2000 RBIs, .300 hitter, 7 MVPS, 4 Gold Gloves, Silver Slugger, all-time walks leader [intentional and regular], all-time slugging percentage leader, all-time on-base percentage leader, and soon-to-be all-time home runs leader) is just flat-out insane.

and, lastly, there is no way i could watch 43 cars turn left 1000 times. no matter how fast they're going.

Back