Online kind of stinks...

Atomheart

M'bating to Z Suit Samus
Jul 30, 2007
WI
The Play Anyone option is pretty much worthless. Not only can you not see names or use taunts, but the matches are fixed to 4 player 2 minute KO fest. So not only can you not have less than four players (people or CPU's), but you can't change the mode. That sucks.

I suppose there are friends matches though. I just hope that I'm playing when everyone else is.

Bummer.

I've also been having problems connecting to friends games. Sometimes it doesn't work at all without giving an error message. Sometimes I just get disconnected. And sometimes, I get the bizarre message that my "friends status" has changed, even though it clearly hasn't.

Quick question, which I doubt anyone knows: Can you only play friends matches against YOUR friends? In other words, say I want to join a friends match with a friend, who is waiting with a friend of his/hers who is NOT my friend. Is this possible?

I agree, the online options are pretty limited for "anyone" matches at this point. I haven't even been able to get in a match for some reason....it just sits at the player select screen saying it's waiting for 3 other people, and after a minute it kicks me back to the main menu saying there was a problem.

Anyway, I'm hoping that they'll expand the 'anyone' customization options down the road. At this point I would imagine they're just trying to get everything working with regards to SSB online (and keeping up with the loads). Does anyone know if there are more options for "anyone" matches in the Japanese version?

They might as well not even have included the Anyone option. I'd rather not have one at all than to have all of my hopes and hype crushed upon getting the game.

Anyway, I wouldn't count on them expanding the Anyone options. I think they did that on purpose to make the matchmaking simple (for them).

I can't even get a game of anyone match. It just sits there searching for other players then after 2 minutes or something it kicks me off and say I was disconnected from players.

T3kNi9e said:
I can't even get a game of anyone match. It just sits there searching for other players then after 2 minutes or something it kicks me off and say I was disconnected from players.

Just do Friends matches. That's what I'm going to have to do. I'm going to PM you my FC. Add me and send me yours.

Atomheart said:
The Play Anyone option is pretty much worthless. Not only can you not see names or use taunts, but the matches are fixed to 4 player 2 minute KO fest. So not only can you not have less than four players (people or CPU's), but you can't change the mode. That sucks.
it would be kind of unfair since once person gets to choose all the modes lives, so you would end up being in a match where everyone is giant, fast, and the gravity is high. on a map which is completely un even (one platform, one space for player one, the rest is completely below him, which is covered with spikes and all that.)
Atomheart said:
I've also been having problems connecting to friends games. Sometimes it doesn't work at all without giving an error message. Sometimes I just get disconnected. And sometimes, I get the bizarre message that my "friends status" has changed, even though it clearly hasn't.
Well i think it is because the game just came out, so the servers aren't probably up all the way. so i think the 'friend status' is probably no room in a server for you and your friends.

Atomheart said:
Quick question, which I doubt anyone knows: Can you only play friends matches against YOUR friends? In other words, say I want to join a friends match with a friend, who is waiting with a friend of his/hers who is NOT my friend. Is this possible?
Yes it probably is possible.

balrogs.pa said:
it would be kind of unfair since once person gets to choose all the modes lives, so you would end up being in a match where everyone is giant, fast, and the gravity is high. on a map which is completely un even (one platform, one space for player one, the rest is completely below him, which is covered with spikes and all that.)
Well i think it is because the game just came out, so the servers aren't probably up all the way. so i think the 'friend status' is probably no room in a server for you and your friends.

Yes it probably is possible.

Well, I really didn't mean THOSE options. You can't even change it from 2-minute KO fest to a 3-minute KO fest, let alone a stock battle, etc. In other words, you can ONLY do 2-minute KO fest battles. It's so limited that it's worthless. I suppose that's their way of forcing us to do Friends battles.

I would rather have it like guitar hero, where someone hosts a match with settings like stock timeing and you can search for stock match or time or something

balrogs.pa said:
I would rather have it like guitar hero, where someone hosts a match with settings like stock timeing and you can search for stock match or time or something

Exactly. That's how I thought it was going to be. Strangely, no reviews mentioned this. Bummer. It's bad enough that there are no stats, names, or taunts in Play Anyone matches.

I'm able to play with my friend but it's reallllly laggy. Every now and then though we get a good 10 seconds of smooth gameplay but the majority of our games have been lag ridden.

Well the only real thing i wanted was that you could have a taunt in any match so that you could say something like "Hey dude your good, add me my friend code is ____________, which i bet everyone would have as one.

the random play seems very odd. usually it jus sits there til time runs out, without anyone joining.

im able to edit time and stock for friend fights though at least.

I dont care about anyone mode really, but the friends one needs improvement, I cant even get a game with my added friends to work. One of us starts a game and no one can join it lol.

Edit: lol, that smart person didnt know someone was downloading a Netflix o_O heh. But friends mode still could use some work, and more players :D a few bigger maps and up to 8 players would rock!

Last edited:
Back