Plug in the Wii and its a gray screen

cmpas2

WiiChat Member
May 22, 2010
Turkey
I brought my Wii over from America when I moved to Turkey. Its an American (NTSC) Wii and I am trying to play NTSC games. I bought a european power pack.

After reading a lot on the internet I was convinced that when I came here and purchased an LCD TV I would be able to use the Wii without a problem. I currently have it hooked up to a Samsung LE32B450 through the composite cable (yellow rca video cable) that shipped with the Wii.

Am I doing something wrong? Everything is just in black and white and the screen modulates some. In game and in the Channels menu.

Are you positive it's all hooked up correctly? How old is your wii? Maybe a reader inside the wii is broken or messed up. Just some suggestions from a .... clown <_<

You are probably using a PAL television set. North American units are designed for use with NTSC tv's. Likely the only way you will be able to use it is to purchase a multi-system TV, or run it through a VCR that can convert the NTSC signal to PAL for your TV.

You are probably using a PAL television set. North American units are designed for use with NTSC tv's. Likely the only way you will be able to use it is to purchase a multi-system TV, or run it through a VCR that can convert the NTSC signal to PAL for your TV.

I dislike your superior smarticles :frown5:

The connection is fine. The TV itself reports to be multi-system. Its a Samsung LE32B450. I have no other way of testing to make sure the Wii works apart from this TV though :( It worked fine when i left the States about a month ago.

Will getting a component cable still be affected with the NTSC/PAL TV issue if it turns out I was mislead about the TV's NTSC/PAL/SECAM ability?

gray scrambled NTSC Wii image on PAL TV

I brought my Wii over from America when I moved to Turkey. Its an American (NTSC) Wii and I am trying to play NTSC games. I bought a european power pack.

After reading a lot on the internet I was convinced that when I came here and purchased an LCD TV I would be able to use the Wii without a problem. I currently have it hooked up to a Samsung LE32B450 through the composite cable (yellow rca video cable) that shipped with the Wii.

Am I doing something wrong? Everything is just in black and white and the screen modulates some. In game and in the Channels menu.

I had the same problem bringing my USA Wii to Hong Kong. It was hard to find, but in the PAL TV menu...hidden around Autoformat (on/off) = set to off, i started to find something that let me change Ext1 to NTSC. I have a Toshiba flat screen PAL TV.

Don't need a $120 USD NTSC/PAL convertor. Just find the manual for your PAL TV...although my manual was in Chinese, I just scanned every page until I saw the English for "PAL/NTSC" ...once I new it existed then it was a matter of finding the right "hidden" menu ;-)

This was a little non-intuitive so let me explain further.
Once I changed the TV source to the Wii then the screen would grey and scrambled. Even opening up the menu for the TV would end up disappearing upon each "scramble". I had to shut off the Wii, then go back into the TV Source (where the Wii was connected--but now off) and go back in to the TV menu.

While in this TV Source, I was able to turn off auto-format and then from another TV menu page, I manually set it to NTSC from some obscure, hard-to-find TV menu. Once done and saved, then I turned the USA Wii back on and it worked on my PAL TV.

Last edited:
or it could be on the wrong channel. when i have my t.v on input 2 it's a black screen with scrambled video of a wii menu so i flip it to input 1.

Back