Pokemon X/Y

I kinda like male Pyroar, it's obviously a pretty unexceptional Pokemon but at least the normal typing makes it a tad more interesting than Typhlosion and whatnot.

I share Traggy's desire to at least try and use relatively mediocre Pokemon. It's more fun than just using what you know is good, imo.

Last edited:
I kinda like male Pyroar, it's obviously a pretty unexceptional Pokemon but at least the normal typing makes it a tad more interesting than Typhlosion and whatnot.
It also gives it STAB on Hyper Voice, to help against those that resist its main Fire STABs.

If only Pyroar was a physical attacker like a ****ing FIRE LION should be. I mean, why blow fire when you have Fire Fangs? It could probably get a better moveset, and then make use of its Hidden Ability. I caught a Moxie Pyroar without looking at its stats, and now it just sits in my PC. :/ Physical attacker + second highest Speed of all Fire types + amazing HA might even make it OU. But no, it has to be a special attacker.

Yeah, it does have an oddly low attack for a lion. I've noticed this with Clawitzer too, Clawitzer has an oddly low attack for something with a giant claw, I know it's supposed to be a cannon, but doesn't 73 seem a bit low for that? Though, even if it was 90 or something, it would still probably opt for an all special set, even if Swords Dance and Aqua Jet are nice.

No one wants stat-wise clones of Arcanine 'n Kingler.
Even with increased attack stats, 71/90/88/120/89/59 isn't all that similar to 55/130/115/50/50/75 and 86/105/72/109/66/106 isn't all that similar to 90/110/80/100/80/95. Well, I guess the latter is somewhat similar, but as it is now, it's already pretty similar to Charizard and Typlosion, both with 78/84/78/109/84/100. Raising attack brings it closer to Infernape, Simisear, and as you mentioned, Arcanine, with 76/104/71/104/71/108, 75/98/63/98/63/101, and (already stated), respectively.

Pyroar is more of a glass cannon and less of a mixed attacker. I just think Game Freak should give it a different HA/stats if it can't make use of Moxie.
I think they might have been going for "special attacker until it gets a kill, then becomes mixed", which is an interesting and fun concept, which might have worked if splitting EV's wasn't basically required for that. Even if that wasn't an issue, 68 at +1 isn't even much higher than its special attack. Heck, it doesn't even get Flare Blitz.

edit: Oh, and I just discovered smogon's UU viability ranking thread
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xy-uu-viability-ranking-thread.3500340/
I think Houndoomite, Hawlucha, and a few other things were banned recently
I can't believe vivillon is so high o_o

Last edited:
Even if that wasn't an issue, 68 at +1 isn't even much higher than its special attack. Heck, it doesn't even get Flare Blitz.
That's my point. Pyroar needs to sweep at least three Pokemon (half an entire team) to make any use of its Attack.

That's my point. Pyroar needs to sweep at least three Pokemon (half an entire team) to make any use of its Attack.
Well, an invested +1 Return still hurts quite a bit, the problem is that you need to invest in it. At +2 it will be doing a lot of damage even if uninvested, but the point to using physical attacks would be to break past more specially defensive pokemon, which they'd send out right after you got to +1, making that irrelevant. Or at +0, before you even kill somefin in the first place, though Pyroar probably has enough power to 2HKO even some defensive Pokemon with Life Orb Fire Blast, so switching in on it might not be the best idea.

Last edited:
Pyroar's Atk is ****, it doesn't get Flare Blitz. Troll Freak definitely didn't intend for it t' ever be used as a Physical or even Mixed attacker, I reckon t'is just a case of "useless ability for the lulz".

I heard someone mention Arcanine... Who hear doth spoke of the only 'Dex classified "Legendary Pokemon?"

Back