size

-D-X-

WiiChat Member
Sep 8, 2006
Do we know how big are the games going to be? I am just wondering if I am going to have to but some 40gig ext hd or something.

the wii VC games will firstly be saved on the hardware which is about 200 megabytes.
And im sure nintendo will provide external memory packs for the VC games.
The size will be like the orignals, maybe more compressed

it does not matter we can just add on a hard drive, i see no fuss what so ever. The amount of space the wii gives is perfectly alright. I will add on space thats all. At least we are not being ripped off like sony fans, 60 gb is just an exscuse to charge so much... I think. Also THE ALL MIGHTY BLUE_RAY!!!

hey

Here are the range of cartridge/ROM sizes for each Nintendo console.

NES: 64Kbit - 4Mbit (8KB - 512KB)
SNES: 2Mbit - 32Mbit (256KB - 4MB)
N64: 32Mbit - 512Mbit (4MB - 64MB)

Incase you don't know 1Mbit is equal to 125KB. I would also think that each ROM would be compressed in some manner, making them even smaller. You also should remember that games may not use all the storage space of the cartridge. Finally, I would also like to mention that I think hardly any N64 games (well I only know of 1, which is Resident Evil 2) used a 64MB Cartridge, I think on average they would use 8MB - 16MB sized cartridges/ROMs.

cyas

what does VC stand for and what do u mean it will b "compressed" into the console and take up memory? altho im almost certain i know what u guys mean, can u tell me anyways so i now for sure please? thanks :p

RPGMasterTurk91 said:
what does VC stand for and what do u mean it will b "compressed" into the console and take up memory? altho im almost certain i know what u guys mean, can u tell me anyways so i now for sure please? thanks :p
VC stands for Virtual Console, which is Nintendo’s equivalent to the Xbox live arcade in which users can download many titles from the Nintendo back catalog. This includes titles from consoles such as the N64, SNES, NES and also the Sega Mega drive/Genesis and the TurboGrafx -16.

Games will be saved to Wii's internal memory, which is 512MB. I think when they're saying "compressed" they mean the games will be optimized in terms of file size so they can be downloaded from VC in a matter of minutes or seconds.

Hope that helped.:)

RPGMasterTurk91 said:
VC stands for Vince Carter :lol:

yosh64 said:
hey

Here are the range of cartridge/ROM sizes for each Nintendo console.

NES: 64Kbit - 4Mbit (8KB - 512KB)
SNES: 2Mbit - 32Mbit (256KB - 4MB)
N64: 32Mbit - 512Mbit (4MB - 64MB)

Incase you don't know 1Mbit is equal to 125KB. I would also think that each ROM would be compressed in some manner, making them even smaller. You also should remember that games may not use all the storage space of the cartridge. Finally, I would also like to mention that I think hardly any N64 games (well I only know of 1, which is Resident Evil 2) used a 64MB Cartridge, I think on average they would use 8MB - 16MB sized cartridges/ROMs.

cyas

Just for the record, one bit represents a binary value of either 0 or 1 state (otherwise referred to as an on or off state). A byte is a string of 8 bits of varying states. so while a bit has two variables, a byte has sixteen variables thus factoring it eight times.

I'm saying this because of some minor inaccuracies. A Megabit's byte equivalant is actually 128Kbytes instead of 125Kbytes. Thus a Kilobyte, is not 1,000 bytes but is instead 1024 bytes. Similarly, a Megabyte is not 1,000,000 bytes exactly, it is more like 1048576 bytes.

The Binary system is known as a Base-2 system (as the only numerics it encompasses are 0 and 1), While the established world-standard mathematical Decimal system is a Base-10 system (as it uses all numbers from 0 through to 9) and the Web-colour-coding numerical system is a Base-16 system (also referred to as Hexadecimal, as it uses the standard decimal system and also alphabetical characters corresponding to colour codes, being A, B, C, D, E, and F).

Got just a little drawn out again but hey :p

hey

@Ezekiel86: Yep, I thinks you are correct... I found it odd that it wasn't to the power of 2. I actually got that (125KB) from Wikipedia, as I couldn't be bothered calculating it for myself :\. Anyhows, as you probly know... it's easy to calculate... 1Mbit = 128KB = 131072Bytes = (1024*1024) / 8.

cyas

Last edited:
Back