Suggestions for system physically security?

Noz

WiiChat Member
Feb 28, 2008
We're putting a wii in a break room, and unfortunately there's a real possibility that if the console isn't physically secured that it will disappear. I don't see an obvious way to secure it physically to anything.

Any suggestions? I haven't been able to come up with anything better than a case with a combo lock which itself is physically secured where the stuff could be stored when not in use.

(dang - meant "system physical security")

Last edited:
that's it... make sure it has ventilation... thank god it's wireless.

if you want accessibility to change games, maybe the rectangular hole in the front could be just slightly smaller than the face of the wii?

make sure to include a way to add gamecube controllers and memory cards and such.

how secure do you want it? Just enough to keep honest people honest or to really protect it?

We're just trying to make it secure enough so that somebody just doesn't walk off with it because it's not attached to anything and easy to take. Bicycle lock level secure, not security vault secure.

then you may find a kensington lock kit handy... these are what people use for laptops...

i don't believe the Wii doesn't has a kensigton lock hole, but i'm sure there is a kensington kit that allows items to be nearly as secure. :)

i would lie it down on it's side and then just strap it down with something, like zip ties. it may look ugly but hey, it's a wii!!!

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. buy a wii mesenger bag ang put the wii in there at night in a locking file case. then just tape the wires down securly.

Get some of those PC anti-theft plates. They're basically three metal plates that are slathered in a 3M adhesive. The metal plates attach to the PC, the monitor, and the desk. There's a metal eye hole at the end of each plate that a metal cord and padlock attach to. We used to use those at the University I worked for. It'll give someone full access to the Wii but still keep it secure enough to avoid casual theft. And that adhesive is pretty darn strong.

Have some type of container for it and lock it up when you're not playing. I have a picture of a glass door in my mind where it could be locked. When you play you can unlock it, since you're there to be the surity, so changing disc, etc. won't be a problem. Lock it back up when you're done :x
Other than that I don't see any other methods.

Get some plumbers tape and strap it down with that. Or goto the nearest autobody supply store and get some black double sided sticky tape.

Last edited:
There seem to be a number of options out there related to hal2814's idea. Searching for "metal plate computer lock" or "metal plate adhesive lock" pop up lots of serviceable options. Thanks! ("wii security" or "wii lock" are poor search choices for this subject)

best buy has a playable wii in a glass case with a lock on the controllers wires, and it's pretty non-stealable.
I'd suggest something like idjut said in the first reply

The controllers (or games, etc) will get stolen eventually if they aren't secured as well. :) People just aren't honest.

Just don't buy it for the break room. It's just going to distract people and they are not going to return from their break in a timely fashion.

Back