super mario galaxy 2 breaking wiis

WiiChat Member
Mar 18, 2008
Just sent it in for repair. Hope to get it back soon. Any how really wanted to get mario galaxy 2. But some at nintendo were complaining it broke their wii.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/11352#11352

Anyone have similar issue because of galaxy 2? Should I be concerned or just get the game and not worry about breaking my wii again? And if it does break again will that be covered in the 1 year warentee that my 85 dollar repair says it comes with?

Super Mario Galaxy 2 will not break your Wii. The fact that it broke down when you got the game is just a coincidence, it would have happened with any game. It would be akin to thinking that putting gas in your car made it break down because you filled up just before your engine blew up.

Chances are you just have a dirty lens but it could also be misaligned, so a repair is the most thorough course of action. Once you get your Wii back you will be able to play SMG2 without any problem and it certainly won't 'break your Wii' again.

There is nothing about the SMG2 disk that is any different to any other disk. The only Wii games I know of that are different are SSBB, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Sakura Wars; because they are on dual layer DVDs which can be harder to read.

Just to clarify, I've played SMG 1 & SMG2 on 4 different Wii's (models ranging from 2006 to 2010) and not a single one of them has had any trouble with either game.

There are quite a few wii titles out there that damages wiis and I've wonder "why haven't they done anything about it?"

^ What can they do about it? The Wii's lens isn't damaged by dual-layered discs. Even if it did, Dual-layered discs are required to be so because there's too much information for a single layer.

A dirty/faulty lens is what problems like these stem from, not from a particular disc. Dual-layered discs are simply harder to read, and might accelerate a problem that is already there.

Back