Super Smash Bros Brawl- Sonic

ultimentra

WiiChat Member
Mar 15, 2008
Hello everybody, I am ultimentra- long time smash bros fan and got brawl as soon as it was released here in america. I have unlocked all of the characters and I decided I really wanted to play as Sonic. However I have discovered that compared to other characters of his stature he is severely underpowered. Sure he has speed, but so does fox and fox at least does decent damage. Is this a known fact that Sonic sucks? Is this do to a bias at HAL Laboratories or was this accidental? Or is Sonic not unbalanced at all and I am not using him correctly? If someone could answer these questions with or provide some advice on sonic I would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.
-Ultimentra

To me it sounds like our not using him right You see speed = power you have to train with him and learn his everymove then you will win lots to fights remember
speed = power

they all have their special talents... whether it be strength, speed, etc... its only the character so much before its your own talents that do real damage, specially against different people using different characters. try to learn the character best you can... i saw on a sig once that said something along the lines of... "dont play till you can do anything, play until you cant miss anything"

checks and balances.

Last edited:
So do you guys have any suggestions as to how I could use him "correctly"? Have any special combos that have worked out well that you would like to share?

sonic has speed but I think the cool thing about him is his recovery if he falls off stage

sonic's fun to use and fast as hell, but i know what you mean.

half the time, i'm racking up my enemies' % to above 150, and i just can't ko them.

sonic's speed and recovery (BOING!!!) are what attracts most people.

I LOVE SONIC! But I have to admit he is underpowered, but for the right reasons, I find Speed very helpful, and yes you obviously aren't using him right, I like to consider him to Combo King.

Hey guys i would really like to thank you a whole bunch with a story about an online match I just had. I went on youtube and found this new combo with sonic and I applied the hit and run strategy and hit the nets with it. It was on Shadow Moses Island, the stage i wanted. My main enemy was Ike but with the Side-B spin dash hit, jump out and combo and all that other stuff I basically owned him. The other guys didn't bother us that much, until the smash ball appeared. I got the smash ball and eventually knocked all 3 of them out and didn't die afterward. Then it was sudden death between me and the player using Ike. He was up on the level above me, I tried an up A aerial he dodged but when i landed I did a smash attack it connected and sent him flying the other direction, bouncing off the wall and then into the sky. It was my first 1st place win in my Internet match history. And man it was epic. I saved the replay to my SD card and im gonna show it to all of my friends lol, also Sonic will now be my main. Sonic Boom baby, Sonic Boom.

Last edited:
Here is something you should know about Sonic.. Sonic is in my opinion and my Friend who is a very good smasher, one of the best in brawl, However, you need to know how to use him... It's Extreamly hard to master him i hear. but once you do master him..i hear he is almost unbeatable.. Just practice and practice his moves..i know that when you do the Side B you can jump and than attack in mid air..which is one of the key techniques of his power. Timing is also a key factor on how to make him good.

Sonic is great, possibly one of the best in Brawl, but he's so fast it takes a while to get used to. When I use Sonic, I use his speed to flow from one attack to another without fear of my opponent having enough time to recover. (i.e normal combo, then do a running attack on the falling opponent, then jump into the air and land ine ir two blows. If your opponent is playing a REALLY slow character, try hitting them with a side B when they land.)

Sonic is pretty good in my eyes, especially with his one attack where he basically homes in on the enemy. Yeah, he's a little underpowered, but he's so fast that almost none can catch up to him.

Back