The Futurama Thread

GigaRidley

Ouroboros
Jan 24, 2008
Larchmont, NY
Wii Online Code
4005-0628-2206-3853
Frankly, I'm surprised there wasn't one sooner.

For those sad meatbags out there who have never heard of Futurama, here's a quick (or as quick as I can make it) sum-up of its unique history as a television show.
Futurama is the creation of Matt Groening, the creator of The Simpsons, and David X. Cohen, a Simpsons writer. The first episode aired on March 28th, 1999. The plot revolves around Philip J. Fry, a delivery boy from 1999 who is accidentally cryogenically frozen on New Year's Eve and wakes up 1000 years later, on New Year's Eve of 2999. Getting a job working for the Planet Express delivery company, Fry and his friends Bender (a bad-mouthed robot) and Leela (a cyclopian who serves as Fry's love interest) travel to different planets meeting various other characters (and saving the universe a few times). Though never the smash-hit The Simpsons was, Futurama was a hilarious show that had (and still has) a dedicated fanbase. Mainly due to Fox's ineptitude, Futurama was shown erratically, and it was cancelled after the fourth production season, ending its run on Fox on August 10th, 2003. But Futurama was not done yet. After being aired on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim program, Futurama was picked up by Comedy Central and is aired every night after South Park. Four straight-to-DVD movies were also commisioned by Comedy Central, which would each be cut up into four episodes and rebroadcast as a new fifth season. The four movies were Bender's Big Score, The Beast With a BIllion Backs, Bender's Game, and finally Into the Wild Green Yonder, which was released on February 24th, 2009. With no future Futurama seasons planned, it is likely that this is the true end of this amazing series. But there is still a glimmer of hope: according to several sources, the strong sales of the four movies have prompted FOX to begin discussing a possible sixth season(!) Let us pray these talks bring us more Futurama, for it would be a sad day if the series ended permanently.

So that's Futurama's history in a nutshell (Sorry it was so long). If you have never seen it, go out and rent Volume 1, and while you're at it, rent Volumes 2, 3, 4, and the four movies. It will save you the eventual dash to BLOCKBUSTER for more sweet Futurama goodness.
This thread is for both new and old Futurama fans alike. Who is your favorite character? What's your favorite episode/ movie? What would you like to see the series do if it returns? How much garbage does Dr. Zoidberg eat in a day (scratch that one)?

Also, I only insist on spoiler tags for movie-related discussion, so beware if you don't want some of the magic to be spoiled.
The discussions begin... NOW!

Last edited:
Futurama is more of a cult-classsic-esque TV show than a really popular one it seems to me.

I love that series! My favorite is when they go into the parallel universe. Funny stuff.

I've always been a fan of Futurama. I was excited when I heard about the movies. My favorite character is definitely Bender followed closely by Zapp Branigan and Fry and of course Zoidberg (can't believe I forgot him). They are the funniest ones. My favorite episode was the superhero cream one. I really hope they make it into a series again and don't end with the movies.

Last edited:
Futurama. Is. Awesome. Especially Zoidberg.

zoidberg.gif

zoidbergdance.gif

mexicanshell3jt.gif

LOVE Futurama. My favorite character has to be Bender. He's such a smartass. And I can imitate Zoidbergs voice :lol:

My favorite episode I think is when Fry and Bender search for a new place to live.

My favorite episode I think is when Fry and Bender search for a new place to live.
I love all episodes of Futurama, but the earlier ones are just very funny, not HILARIOUS like they are later. There's a bit too much explaining going on since Fry just arrived in the future.

All of you, get the hell out. WHY HAS THERE BEEN NO MENTION OF SCRUFFY.

Great series. I think what I love the most would have to be The Scary Door. Hilarious parody.

"you are entering the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location. The kind of place where there might be a monster, or some kind of weird mirror. These are just examples; it could also be something much better. Prepare to enter: The Scary Door."

"In the end, it was not guns with bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex. "

As for favorite character I think I'd go with the hypnotoad, followed closely by Fry.

Hypno-Toad is indeed great. Hypno-Toad is one of the best running jokes in Futurama, save for one little problem: first-timers will have AB-SO-LUTELY NO idea what the joke is unless they see the first Hypno-Toad joke.

Back