The Many Holidays of Every Day

October 15th

A plentiful five holidays for today.

National Grouch Day
Sweetest Day
International Day of Rural Women
White Cane Safety Day
Wishbones for Pets

Anyone still watching Sesame Street and is subscribed to their magazine (god save you, you poor soul...) would know that today's the day to be, indeed, a grouch. National Grouch Day is something I'd happily celebrate, but we've enough people who think every day is grouch day, so I decided to keep my share of douchebaggery to myself. Even for today.

The idea behind Sweetest Day was to give boxes of candy to the poor, the orphaned, etc. to show that they aren't a forgotten part of society. That's all well and dandy, and I'd support such a holiday if it weren't boxes of candy. Sweetest Day was organized by Cleveland confectioners during 1922 to promote candy sales and obviously increase their profits. A good deed covered by dirty motives...

The International Day Of Rural Women certainly isn't a holiday; it's a day of recognition. "Rural women" is referring to the countless women who are poor and lack basic freedoms that tend to escape said women in third-world countries, and how important women are to such rural societies. This day is intended to bring awareness to the poverty-stricken women who are forced to live in these conditions, particularly with high price spikes for food every few years, making the poverty-stricken even moreso.

Yep, this is essentially one of the days to spread awareness for the poor and the starving, and get people to take the initiative on donations to save lives and the like. I would pick this as my holiday pick of the day, but considering I've never once made a noteworthy donation of any sort, that'd be utterly hypocritical... So I'll refrain.

White Cane Safety Day is a day of observance in the US for those who are forced to live with a cane; the symbol of those who are visually impaired or completely blind, but a symbol of independence as well. You're missing half of life if you can't see, perhaps even more, so respect for the visually impaired is something to spread word about. My life would fall to shambles and then some if I were to lose my eyesight, so I've got all-due courtesy for those unfortunate enough to deal with it. For that reason, this is my holiday pick of the day.

Wishbones for Pets has nothing to do with Wishbones, far as I know. It's a fund drive starting from today 'till Thanksgiving for animals. My opinion is, take money for animal stuff and put it into human-related plights so PETA can gtfo KTHNXBAI

/hypocritically heartless, since I have a cat

Most of these "days" aren't holidays either, you're a bit late to the trend. :p

December 24th
Birth of god
December 17th birth of me

IDUNCAREABOUTANYMORE

October 16th

Today, we've only got two holidays:

Dictionary Day
World Food Day

As nerdy as you might think this day is, Dictionary Day is actually worth noting. It celebrates the birthday of the man considered to be the Father of the American Dictionary, Noah Webster. Without his dictionary, we effectively wouldn't have online English dictionaries for all the spelling-impaired imbeciles on the internet (... guilty).

World Food Day is the day celebrating the founding of the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization. Every year it has a different "theme", obviously about food. 2011's is "Food prices-from crisis to stability"; with the economic troubles across the world, it's certainly accurate about food prices being in a crisis. I loves me some good food, and the yearly-changed reasons for World Food Day are always something worth a day of awareness. Thus, World Food Day is my holiday pick of the day.

I could use some dinner, actually... ... ...

Dictionary Day, now that's a good thing. It serves to counter the common butchering of language today.
For gentlemen such as I, mastery of verbose manners is a must.

Indeed. Those who hope to endeavor towards the finer points of debate, or, "arguing" as you put it, certainly should be thoroughly indulged in their lingual skills.

I would hope a robust vocabulary isn't considered a common mannerism among gentlemen, as my self-classification of a gentleman would then be completely false...

Back