The Real Super Mario Bros. 2 (wanted)

Wiinter

Audentes fortuna iuvat
Apr 20, 2007
Wii Online Code
8745-5143-2651-5351
I'm actually a fan of the American release, I have fond memories--but I'd like to play the original Japanese SMB2 as well.

http://www.sydlexia.com/smb2j.htm

sydlexia said:
While this game is a lot of fun, it is not the true Super Mario Bros. 2. Didn't you ever wonder why the vast majority of SMB2 enemies never reappeared later in the franchise? The truth is, the game released in the U.S. as Super Mario Bros. 2 was actually a port of Japanese game called Doki Doki Panic with the Mario gang replacing the game's original heroes. The real Mario 2 was released in Japan in 1986 and Nintendo decided it would be far too difficult for American gamers. So instead, they took an easier game and gave it a Mario theme. This was probably one of the first times that a Japanese gaming company screwed over The West, but it would not be the last.

Visit the page for screenshots and descriptions. And if you're offended by bad language (this guy takes his Mario very seriously), see the SMB: The Lost Levels from SMB All Stars on Wikipedia instead.

I've never played it (didn't have an SNES and don't live in Japan), but I'd like to. It looks like the version in SMB All Stars was dolled up rather nicely, and it comes as a compilation, so I'd be happy if that went up on the auction block as well.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it came out in the West even though it didn't originally. Hudson have already done the same for one or two TG-16 games.

The article mentions that you can download the game file and play it on an emulator. I've never used an emulator before. What are some good ones, where do you get them, and how do they work?

Edit: nevermind

I found a site here that has some emulators and I got the original SMB2 to play on it. It works quite well. Only drawback is playing it on a keyboard.

Last edited:
Thats why for about $15 dollars, I bought an adapter that lets you plug in either a Gamecube, PS/PSII, or XBOX controller......works like a charm.....(I like PSII the best for most games).

However, I will pwn any of you at Madden 07 online using my keyboard, which most people say is a ridiculous feat.

The real Super Mario Bros 2 was released for Super Nintendo. It was included in Mario All-Stars.

I'd like to play it, but it certainly isn't a priority for me. I think it's basically the original Mario Bros. with amped up difficulty and a few new levels.

Conan the Librarian said:
Thats why for about $15 dollars, I bought an adapter that lets you plug in either a Gamecube, PS/PSII, or XBOX controller......works like a charm.....(I like PSII the best for most games).

However, I will pwn any of you at Madden 07 online using my keyboard, which most people say is a ridiculous feat.

can you suggest some adapters and where to get them?

cimbom said:
The real Super Mario Bros 2 was released for Super Nintendo. It was included in Mario All-Stars.

As you can see in the original post, that's one of the games I'd be happy for them to release--however, purists might not be happy with it. The gfx aren't the original, and I've read that Nintendo spiced it with extra powerups to make it easier.

cimbom said:
Is that what "The Lost Levels" game was on Allstars? The Lost Levels were so effing hard.

I see Nintendo releasing Super Mario All Stars (SNES) on the Virtual Console.... some time after they release Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) on the Virtual Console.

What would be the point in that, just release lost levels seperatly, if they release all-stars then people who want it who haven't bought any marios for NES yet pay only 800 points total where as people who have already got mario and mario 2 and mario 3 by that point will have used up 1500 points.

I'd love to see Mario Brothers 2 (The Lost Levels to us in America) released on the VC. I've got it on SNES, god damn it's hard! Me and my grandpa spent like 2 years on that game before we finally beat it.

Back