thread patrolling?

dodabird

dodabird
Sep 14, 2006
Guam
ok, it's getting more and more difficult to stay objective, but i'll go ahead and give it a shot.

it seems that there are members of this forum that seem to want to join the wiichat police department. you know who i'm talking about, right? they always say things like:

"excuse me sir, but can i see your license and membership number? you seem to have been double-posting, in a clearly single-posting zone. have you been drinking tonight?" and...

"you have the right to remain silent. anything you say can--what? i'm sorry, i didn't hear you? what did you say? oh, i'm sorry...you can't say that because, quite frankly, it's been said before. and the laws of this great nation clearly states that you cannot say something, ANYTHING, that someone else has already said. that's correct, sir--we're completely doing away with the constitution and the article that gives us the freedom of speech. are you from around here, sir? probably not, because if you were, you'd know these laws. you must be from 'noob' york. or...

"freeze! you're under arrest for 'fanboyism!' that's right, you heard me! nowhere in our laws does it state that you're allowed to enthusiastically and excitedly discuss ANYTHING that you truly love; otherwise, you're committing first-degree fanboyism. do you understand that son? FAN-BOY-ISM!!! yes, i know you were just stating how strongly you felt about the playstation 3, and how outrageously disappointed you were with the nintendo wii and how the ps3 'owns' it; but that's beside the point. the point here is that you aren't allowed to express extreme emotion--no no, that's against the law. does it hurt me? no. am i being affected in any way? nope. is it hindering me from continuing on with my life, and will it affect my personal future? of course not. but we still don't want you to do it. no real explanation, except that we're the wiichat police!

you've seen them around. help me understand.

edit:

oops, i said "help me understand" again. should this have been posted in my previous thread since i said it there as well?

edit #2:

if i've offended anyone by posting this thread in this particular section of wiichat.com, or by anything i have said (in this thread or my other one), i apologize. but i can't help but feel like some members take this forum completely overboard, and exaggerate the rules to the point where it seems militaristic. maybe it's just me, but maybe not--hopefully, there are others who can identify with me on this.

Last edited:
Wrong section and over exagoration:rolleyes:

I am hardly thread patrolling anyways, but thanks for the thread dedicated to me, that quote was spot on.

Site feedback is at the bottom near the lounge.

Cpt.McCloud said:
Wrong section and over exagoration:rolleyes:

I am hardly thread patrolling anyways, but thanks for the thread dedicated to me, that quote was spot on.

Site feedback is at the bottom near the lounge.

please understand that i'm not personally attacking you. i am, however, attacking the idea of "patrolling;" and whether or not you want to believe it, that's what you're doing. McCloud, i've got nothing against you as a member--as long as we're clear.

dodabird said:
please understand that i'm not personally attacking you. i am, however, attacking the idea of "patrolling;" and whether or not you want to believe it, that's what you're doing. McCloud, i've got nothing against you as a member--as long as we're clear.

Yes I understand but I just click on most threads and read through, and if I feel something should be said, I will say it. I dont try to patrol the site or backseat mod.

Yeah, we are clear:)

Just next time look out for site feedback;)

So dodabird, are you saying that there is no use for moderators, or that there is no use for people who wish to help the moderators?

yes, there is a need for them. moderators exist to ensure that this site is hatred-free (including racism, bigotry, slander, etc.). i truly feel it's a waste of the moderators' time to go through the threads and harass users who harmlessly (and, quite often, unintentionally) "break the rules" by double-posting, "fanboying," and the like. do you see what i'm saying? shouldn't the focus be on the more harmful things?

ok here is what the Demon Slayer has to say. Double Posting is against the rules, it's not of course a federal Crime, but when on see it, often one would say " Please use the Edit button next time." It's not arresting like a cop...we don't patrol the forum like you say we do. We go to post to post, read and if someone is doing some sort of Spam, or anything that one should not do, we state it out, that is to insure that the forum is remains a livable place for every member.

You Also Overly exaggerated your statement. When someone actually post another different thread but the subject was already posted before, it is counted as "Old" news, thus it creates annoyance for most members. Which is why there is a Search button here for people to check if it was already posted. To many threads that are the same subject starts to spam up the Forum, and we members find it overly annoying

i still have not seen a member going after someone about being a Fanboy, one is always allowed to his opinion, once that opinion gets to Flaming we the soul called " patrollers " will be commenting on the one going against Fanboyisum.

The point is, we members have every right to help out mods, because most of the time, mods are busy, and not on. Syntax and Prez are often on, and i think i0n finally come at least once a day, but their not always on at the same time which is why we "Patrol" as you insist on calling it, to make sure the rules are fallowed. c'est ca

I suppose this could be annoying, but it's nicer then someone simply saying "YOUR A DOUBLE POSTING N000B!!!". At least they are being creative.

dodabird said:
yes, there is a need for them. moderators exist to ensure that this site is hatred-free (including racism, bigotry, slander, etc.). i truly feel it's a waste of the moderators' time to go through the threads and harass users who harmlessly (and, quite often, unintentionally) "break the rules" by double-posting, "fanboying," and the like. do you see what i'm saying? shouldn't the focus be on the more harmful things?
Focus should exist on both those things. What you have to understand though, is that there is a lot you do not see. If we let anything go, this place would look like a heap of garbage. No one would be able to find anything they are looking for, no one would be able to have a nice civilized discussion (such as this one), etc...
It's hard to understand what I mean, because our mod team gets rid of all the rule-breaking stuff so quickly, but if we didn't enforce the rules and keep this place so clean then there is a good chance you wouldn't even be on this forum right now.

And to get back to your main point, I think it's great when members help out. Simply posting "noob theres already a thread on this" does not do much. However, telling the member what they did wrong (in a kind manner), and guiding them to the correct place, greatly helps the forum.

Last edited:
i'm glad i've attracted an actual moderator to respond to my thread. first, i think it must be made clear that i understand the reasoning behind the forum rules--we need to have a clean, clutter-free environment so that the members of this forum can better enjoy their time while visiting the site. this is clearly understood, and contrary to what most of you have made my thread out to be, i am NOT against the rules.

i am, however, against the members who seem to keep the rules in a handy-dandy notebook and search every single post with the sole purpose of catching members who break them. it seems as if the idea of catching a member double-posting, or engaging in "fanboyism," or posting old material has taken on a negative aura, contrary to the "kind manner" in which moderators attempt to engage in. it's not the moderators i'm after (although if they're guilty, then them as well); i'm specifically talking about regular members who think they're moderators. and when they post in someone's thread, that's their entire reply. like, there could be a thread post about mario strikers charged, and the thread poster says something like, "rep me" in their sig. i've seen it a million times where a user will reply, and all he'll say is, "dude, asking for rep isn't cool." see what i'm saying?

and prez, i really think you should be using your time more wisely. instead of patrolling the threads and looking for members who harmlessly break the minor forum rules, you and the rest of your team should be out there looking for people who are truly offending others by making uncalled for and immature remarks. that's where your focus should be, shouldn't it?

if i was a fisherman, a rule of thumb i'd always follow would be to let the smaller fish go so i could save room in my boat for the bigger, more rewarding fish. that's all i'm saying.

Last edited:
Prez and the other mods a doing a phenominal job, and i highly dough they need advice from you. See you have not been around lately, thus you don't know what happens to the Forum. I understand where you're going with this. Probably you saw something happen, or something happen to you, and you think like, gees it's not his fault. I do not believe anyone is going threw these forum for the soul purpose of simply having a hawks eye on someone doing something wrong. However, when someone sees a member doing something like double posting, it is at the forum's best interest to point him to the right direction to make sure it does not happen again in the future, thus it's how we keep the Noob count low. C'est tous que c'est. Minor rules or not, they should all be fallowed.

You also have to understand, when you routinely come to this forum and see the same threads, you tend to speak up.
From what I have seen people are nice about, because its usually new members who do it.
So, you show them the old thread, and let them know about the search feature etc. Show them around. Which I don't see as being bad, helping out other members.

Its almost like training a new employee, you show them the ropes, be nice about it no matter how difficult they can be, your still helpful to them.

Keeps the forums running smoother, and eventually ends up making those posters want to come back to such a friendly environment.
Even though they made a mistake, they want to come back because they know they can rely on WiiChat for help.

Here's another scenario, someones first day at school.
The teacher's job is to make sure the child has a good first day, and helps them make their jump into school a smooth one.
Although many here don't have powers to control things, when we all do are part and help out other members, thats what makes a forum.

And to my knowledge thats what we are on now.

dodabird said:
that's correct, sir--we're completely doing away with the constitution and the article that gives us the freedom of speech.
There's a constitution for the internet? Whoa, didn't know that!

hahahah so youd rather have a forum where everyone bashes each other cause of their fanboyism, double/triple posts cause they want to, post in the wrong sections and maybe even spam up the forum.
if you dont act like such a newb on forums and just read the forum rules and what each specific forum is about you wouldnt encounter this problem.
mods most of the time dont have time to say why this post is spam, or that post is flaming, or why this thread is moved, so when peers do that it helps the forum overall..and you..you just annoy it.

Sovieto said:
hahahah so youd rather have a forum where everyone bashes each other cause of their fanboyism, double/triple posts cause they want to, post in the wrong sections and maybe even spam up the forum.

no. you've missed the point. i'd rather have a forum in which its moderators are more concerned with maintaining a safe, hatred-free environment for all its members to enjoy. double-posting, "fanboyism" (which really translates to enthusiastic personal opinions), wrong section posts, and "spam" are small, minor details that seem, at least on this forum, to be capital crimes. so a member asks a question that's been asked before; should he really be blasted for it? if you're a school teacher and are asked a question at the beginning of the year, and later on that year another student asks the same question, is your response to be, "listen, noob, that question was already asked. please don't double-ask your questions, because although it's perfectly fine and it's not gonna hurt me to hear your question again, it really irritates me, and i have better things to do than entertain previously asked questions (like, uh, search other websites, and play the wii, and use words like "noob" cuz i don't have a social life)." there were/are users on this forum that post things like, "the wii s**ks my c**k and i wanna eat its p***y." forgive me, but i believe it's those users that deserve the moderators' attention, not double-posters.

and you..you just annoy it.

and, uh, isn't this a form of bashing?

Back