What are your most overrated movies ever?

andrewborn

The Cinephile
Aug 10, 2009
Goshen, Indiana.
Wii Online Code
1501-7886-1310-7503
For me, they're:
1) Shawshank Redemption, which was boring as hell, but is somehow imdb.com's number one.
2) The Godfather, because it completely and utterly failed to keep my attention for one hour, let alone 3. (This is coming from a guy who watched Magnolia on a regular basis.)
3) Crash 2004. Jesus, that movie wants to be Magnolia and Short Cuts so bad. It screams "I'm anti-racism, so you have to love me!" In opinion, it's the worst film to ever win best picture. What the **** were they thinking?

So, what are yours?
I'm talking most overrated as in movies that the critics really loved, as opposed to movies that sucked but were really popular.
If we get into the latter, we basically have all mainstream horror films in the past 7 years and all the shitty teen comedies.
Of course, there are definitely more...

So, what movies do you think are overrated by either the critics or the general public?

Napoleon Dynamite. Really didn't like that film. Not the main actor, Jon Heder is fine, but the situation and characters.

Can't really think of any more off the top of my head. There's quite a few films I didn't like, but those were generally not well recieved anyway.

I know critics didn't like it either, but Transformers 2 was horrible. I thought you might appreciate this: [video=youtube;q_D2XKRbYmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_D2XKRbYmM[/video]

Any horror movie. No idea what people's appeal is with shitting themselves as they see people get carved up and stuff (yes, I know it's not real).

anddd the Titanic.

Oh Jesus Titanic was awful.
Yeah, I do love the Transformers 2 hatred.
Plot holes abound.
Personally, I'm a fan of horror films.
But that's because I'm somewhat of a sadist.
I have a very strong stomach for that sort of thing.
Hell, I saw Cannibal Holocaust while eating dinner.
Quite honestly, I don't watch horror movies to "**** myself."
Movies don't really scare me...with the exception of films like Irreversible, which disturbed me to no end.
You probably just haven't seen many good ones.
There are lots of intelligent, coherent horror films, but for the last ten years mainstream horror has suffered greatly...
I mean, look at the **** people are putting out now.
A Haunting in Connecticut (saw it in theaters and walked out halfway through), the grudge (and all those japanese remakes for that matter), and the list goes on.

For me, they're:
1) Shawshank Redemption, which was boring as hell, but is somehow imdb.com's number one.
2) The Godfather, because it completely and utterly failed to keep my attention for one hour, let alone 3. (This is coming from a guy who watched Magnolia on a regular basis.)

Wow, really? I thought both films were excellent. I'd happily watch either at any given time.

Also, whilst Transformers 2 wasn't necessarily a good 'movie', it was rather enjoyable to just sit back and watch a load of robots twat the fuck out of each other, along with some very watchable eye candy.

As for overrated flicks, I can't think of any at the moment off the top of my head...but I'll return one day.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey

It's utterly pretentious, far too long, and the ending is the most tedious, nonsensical thing I've ever seen (short of the last two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion).

2. The Exorcist

Quite a few people know seem to think this is the scariest film ever made, but I just don't get it. I don't think I've ever seen a more boring horror film in my life.

3. Howl's Moving Castle

I like most of Hayao Miyazaki's films, but this is just terrible. The ending doesn't make any sense, the characters are uninteresting (especially the protagonist), and it goes on for way too long.

4. Star Wars series

Yeah, I went there. IV and V are by no means bad, but I've seen better and more interesting sci-fi films. The other four are genuinely awful, filled with irritating characters, tons of plot holes, and an atrociously bad "love story" between Anakin and Padme.

5. Cloverfield

An interesting take on the "giant rampaging monster" subgenre, but unfortunately far too clichéd to really set it apart. The characters are flatter than paper, and the first 20 minutes are spent on some tedious birthday party which in the end contributes nothing to the plot.

6. Titanic

50 billion hours or so of sappy melodrama all for a foregone conclusion.

7. The Blair Witch Project

A noble attempt at doing a different kind of horror film, but the problem is nothing really happens.

8. Audition

Starts out as a dull comedy, but it's really just an excuse for the gore-fest in the latter part of the film.

9. Hostel

See above.

10. Fahrenheit 9/11

'Nuff said.

Honourable mentions: Taxi Driver, The Sixth Sense, Akira

TITANIC -Titanicly shite
Transformers - I wanted it to transform into something good
ET - Extremley tripe
Godfather (all) - I just didnt like it
The hangover - It was ok at best but those calling it a comedy classic" must of been drunk the night before

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey

It's utterly pretentious, far too long, and the ending is the most tedious, nonsensical thing I've ever seen (short of the last two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion).

2. The Exorcist

Quite a few people know seem to think this is the scariest film ever made, but I just don't get it. I don't think I've ever seen a more boring horror film in my life.

3. Howl's Moving Castle

I like most of Hayao Miyazaki's films, but this is just terrible. The ending doesn't make any sense, the characters are uninteresting (especially the protagonist), and it goes on for way too long.

4. Star Wars series

Yeah, I went there. IV and V are by no means bad, but I've seen better and more interesting sci-fi films. The other four are genuinely awful, filled with irritating characters, tons of plot holes, and an atrociously bad "love story" between Anakin and Padme.

5. Cloverfield

An interesting take on the "giant rampaging monster" subgenre, but unfortunately far too clichéd to really set it apart. The characters are flatter than paper, and the first 20 minutes are spent on some tedious birthday party which in the end contributes nothing to the plot.

6. Titanic

50 billion hours or so of sappy melodrama all for a foregone conclusion.

7. The Blair Witch Project

A noble attempt at doing a different kind of horror film, but the problem is nothing really happens.

8. Audition

Starts out as a dull comedy, but it's really just an excuse for the gore-fest in the latter part of the film.

9. Hostel

See above.

10. Fahrenheit 9/11

'Nuff said.

Honourable mentions: Taxi Driver, The Sixth Sense, Akira

1) I can definitely see not liking 2001.
I didn't like it until the second time I saw it.
The first time, I was 11 and sick.
The second time I was like 14 and I really enjoyed it.
I definitely see your argument though.
(By the way, listen to the final Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite sequence while pink floyd's Echoes is playing (the song) and it's syncs up interestingly.
I would normally say that's f***ing stupid, but Kubrick actually approached floyd to do the soundtrack to the movie, and they rejected. Very interesting.)

2) The Exorcist is slow, but I really enjoyed it.
I mean, if you can look past the special effects, it's a great film with some very skillful tension-building.

3) HMC...yeah, not so good. Miyazaki films are hit or miss for me.

4) Star Wars...you went there, so I don't have to. I mostly agree, although I sort of liked Jedi. Honestly I enjoyed the original trilogy a little bit until I saw the other three, and then I never wanted to see another Star Wars film as long as I live...I don't know, I still like the old ones, I just could never watch them again. They are classic though (but that does NOT equal good all the time. Birth of a Nation is a classic, and anyone who says they liked it is lying.)

5) What a load of bullshit.
Scary my ass.
[rec] was fifty times the movie that was.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say quarantine is probably even better than Cloverfield, and that's saying something.

6) **** that movie.

7) I enjoyed it...but I know it's extremely hated. Except there are a surprising number of critics who liked it.

8) That movie kicks ass.
Slow, but it still kicks ass.

9) Don't compare Hostel with Audition man...
Hostel is basically the best movie ever made!
Kidding.
The only thing worse than Hostel is Hostel II.
Except for one scene in the second I enjoyed, where this woman is lying naked underneathe a body that's hung up by a rope upside down. She slits the body's neck and revels in the blood. I thought it was hilarious!

10) Worst Michael Moore movie, that's for sure.
I liked Bowling for Columbine, but that's it.
F9/11 was just stupid.

Taxi Driver I thought was great, but it's not "disturbing" or whatever.
It doesn't really deserve it's reputation.
Never seen Akira.
The Sixth Sense was a great film, but for the love of god it WASN'T F***ING SCARY! FOR THE LAST F***ING TIME, IT'S NOT F***ING SCARY!

The Hangover was terrible.
Frankly, anything that has been touched by Judd Apatow.
The man sure knows his marketing though.
Who knew that raunchy comedies could also be crowd-pleasers.
Apatow basically got his start doing Freaks and Geeks though, which i f***ing loved.

The Good The Bad and The Ugly was boring, but it's not half as boring as once upon a time in the west...
Oh jesus, that was TERRIBLE!
Seven Samurais is overrated too, but still interesting.
And just about anything John Cassavettes is overrated, especially stuff like a Woman Under the Influence.

These piece of **** Pixar movies are all lame too.
Haven't seen a single one of them i've liked, and I've been dragged to several.
I did like a few when I was younger, mainly Toy Story, but then I turned 10.
Yeah.

Lord of the Rings, lord of the rings, lord of the rings....

The Matrix...
All style and no substance after the first.

Lawrence of Arabia and Dances with Wolves are probably the two most boring oscar winners ever.

Saving Private Ryan was boring to me...
Yeah, I get shot down for that one a lot.

Charlie Chaplin sucks, and has always sucked.

WTF is with slumdog millionaire?
That is NOT the kind of movie the oscars usually recognizes.
It was an interesting film, but not worthy of best picture...

Gladiator = not cool.

Ben-Hur was pretty lame.
All those bible epics were bad, but Ben-Hur was especially terrible.

Anything with the words "Planet" and "Apes" in the title.

Sorry guys, but for me it's Avatar (the blue ppl movie) Thankfully I didn't see the whole thing because when me and my friend saw bits of it at the overpriced cinima after christmas '09, he had servere dirrera and almost passed out so then we had to leave (maybe he had it because of how bad the movie was).

When we rented it on DVD in april '10, me and my dad saw it the beginning of it (stoped afterwords), ans we both aggred it was a overhyped shlock pile ppl jized their pants over.

Yeah, Avatar, It´s not a bad story, cause it had been used several times in the past...

For me The most overrated movie is Inception , its a great movie for all time and i cant stop my self to watch it again and again!

I thought Talladega Nights was like that. I am sure I thought the same about others too but that comes to mind right now.

Back