What Happened To Super Mario 128?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.K. Slider

WiiChat Member
Sep 25, 2006
England
After the legendary Super Mario 64 was released in 1996, creator Shigeru Miyamoto said he was developing “Mario 128″, where Mario and Luigi would appear in the same game on the N64, and the N64DD. In an interview with Swedish Level3 Magazine, he said Mario 128 was one of his “great loses”;

“Super Mario 128 was just one of many experimental games we had. Suddenly, everybody started talking about it. I’m in the all-too easy habit of starting a project only to later on not do much of it. There is a great deal of unfinished work on my desk. I worked on a prototype for the Nintendo 64 game with Mario and Luigi in it for some time.”

He also mentions that Mario 128 was only an experiment, where they tested various new gameplay mechanics, some which will be used in the upcoming Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii.

“Mario 128 was a collection of different experiments. Super Mario Galaxy takes a lot of the experiments from Mario 128 and implements them in the game. Because of that it’s partly 128 but there are also elements that existed in Mario 128. I don’t know when we’ll be able to bring those out.”

What do you think about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back