What the Wii needs to be truly successful

Jsheehan1942

WiiChat Member
Feb 22, 2007
The wii needs alot of things and this can all be achieved through firmware updates and regualr updates.

-have gamertags (with friend codes if Nintendo is still stubborn)
-when pressing the home button on the wii, have a online menu similiar to xbox live with friends list, messaging, and recent players that you request friend codes from.
-headset or keyboard

Hardware
-make it so the Wii is compatible with usb harddrives.

Channels
-Media Channel: music,movies, and pictures from hard drive or sd card.
-Demo/trailer Channel: play demos and watch trailers.

Games

- Make some virtual console games online
-need: more sports games, online fps similiar to MOHH2 controls, less mini games, online co-op adventure games.
- and please 3rd partys at least try to make good games.

Other
-make Miis more customizable

So you want the Wii to be an Xbox 360 with a 6-axis controller and have Mii's is what you're saying...

also, i've seen the whole "Online VC" games thing a lot and that has to be one of the worst ideas ever thought of. You Can't make those games online. Most of those games have been coded for 10,15 or even 20 years. WHY make it online? The best they could do is make a leaderboard for them or something. but you can't make those games online playable against another user.

and they don't need that stuff to be sucessful. They're already sucessful.

I would LOVE a Headset and i would LOVE for the Friendcodes to be gone. but i'm not going to get all pissed off if they don't do it right away.

What i will tell you is that when Nintendo goes to make their next console, if they don't fix most of the complaints we've had over the online things and the whole space issue (which i don't have a problem with but a lot of people do), then they certainly wont be sucessful. especially since that's about 5-7 years down the road.

Last edited:
Yeah it looks like you just want a Wii60. Not happening.

The Wii is unique; let it how it is.

Maybe Nintendo, who claims to have the 'next-gen family gaming console' should fix the freaking save game compatibility of games. I have emailed them twice and the responses I got were ignorant and the employees had absolutely NO idea what I was talking about. A game manufacturer makes a wii game, and it usually has what.. 3 slots to save on? Well, my family of eight can't play on three slots!

What am I supposed to do when the SD card is more useless than a ps1 memory cartridge? I can move my three slots to that SD card all day long and never get any more memory space. Why would I want an SD card to put games on? How can more than three people play on the system that's advertised for the whole family?

Nintendo really needs to think about their memory cards before anything, I really don't know who in the company thought it was cool to just release it with such an idea.

Basically right now I have to have three SD cards, that's more money than I want to spend just to get my games. Not to mention the SD cards now have to be kept track of. I have to remember who's is who's, I may lose one. I have to spend a few minutes moving data around before and after I play... It goes on and on. I am extremely disappointed in Nintendo at the moment.

Sshado said:
Maybe Nintendo, who claims to have the 'next-gen family gaming console' should fix the freaking save game compatibility of games. I have emailed them twice and the responses I got were ignorant and the employees had absolutely NO idea what I was talking about. A game manufacturer makes a wii game, and it usually has what.. 3 slots to save on? Well, my family of eight can't play on three slots!

What am I supposed to do when the SD card is more useless than a ps1 memory cartridge? I can move my three slots to that SD card all day long and never get any more memory space. Why would I want an SD card to put games on? How can more than three people play on the system that's advertised for the whole family?

Nintendo really needs to think about their memory cards before anything, I really don't know who in the company thought it was cool to just release it with such an idea.
I think u could put the data on the sd card then make new data in the system memory. :yesnod:

but yeah, still a pain, seriously they should upgrade to like 5 save slots. :lol:

JAKE196 said:
a demo channel has been announced. :yesnod:

The demos from that are DS games that you send to your DS. Previews for Wii games on that channel are limited to videos. Conceivably it could be expanded later on.

From the OP, I'm hearing:

"I wanted an Xbox 360, but I didn't want to shell out the money for it. So I got a wii."

JAKE196 said:
I think u could put the data on the sd card then make new data in the system memory. :yesnod:

but yeah, still a pain, seriously they should upgrade to like 5 save slots. :lol:

Oh yeah, i can do that.. But then the NEW DATA on the system memory.. IS STUCK. the only way to bring SD on there is DELETE IT.

GJ nintendo, you just want me to buy four sd cards.

And on another note: They should upgrade to 99 slots.. like playstation. Five is still too little. OR.. Let us save more than one copy of data on an SD card. Its called.. current technology.

USB hard drives FTW. That alone would open up a buttload more options. Movies, more VC room, DLC space, music, backup saves, DEMO'S, etc.

EDIT: An Xbox 360 doesn't replace a Wii. I have both because they are too different...but the Wii can't keep up with what it has right now. So no, the OP getting a 360 is not a solution.

Jsheehan1942 said:
The wii needs alot of things and this can all be achieved through firmware updates and regualr updates.

-headset or keyboard

Channels
-Media Channel: music,movies, and pictures from hard drive or sd card.
-Demo/trailer Channel: play demos and watch trailers.

Games

- Make some virtual console games online

Not all of these can be updated through firmware.

In the online section, i agree with the headset, however, it already has a usb keyboard

You can already watch movies, pictures, and listen to music on ur SD card.
Demo/trailer channel is announced to exist soon.

There was a recent announcement that a VC game would be online. Search Wikipedia for it.

The Wii already has a usb keyboard support, using it in games is up to the developers afaik.

Sshado:

Don't blame the Wii itself nor Nintendo about the small number of save slots/profiles in games (except of course in Nintendo's own games), it's not a limitation in the system, it's up to the developers how many save slots/profiles a game has (MK:A can have 7 profiles, haven't tested what's the limit in Red Steel if there is one). I agree that being able to have more than one copy of the same game's save on an SD-card simultaneously would be great.

One thang you have to remember is Wii wifi is free and xbox live isnt, so they arnt losing any money if you stop playing online :/

The keyboard is already compatible and now you can use it on the Internet Channel I love to play online games on the big screen

Back