Why are we not bored of Mario?

its a stupid argument... thats like bashing Halo Guys for liking halo 2 alot... Is it as good as the first and just as much fun to play little different here and there? sure.. its great... its not the original but you still can play it...lol

its just a rare is all usually in the gaming world we have a good game ruined by a sequal.. but there are a few that live up to there name just about every time and keeps us comming back for more

Mario just has been around the longest but there are plenty of other games that have had the same type of sucess

Final fantasy what XXIV will be out soon...lol everyone still loves it

Look at Link/Zelda thats not going away anytime soon

Resident Evil Has has alot of years under its belt now

Halo has a big enough cult following you know they would sell it up untill number 20 is released even if they didnt change a thing...

Most kinda Come last a few years and Go away like... ex. Mortal Combat, Doom,Kirby

But for a few they are lasting characters that you couldnt just toss to the side even if it was time... So your too old to eat mushrooms and save the princess... everyone gets it...

the real question is why do you care enough to write a 10 paragraph post on the fact you dont love Mario anymore? Or are you trying to convince yourself more than you are us?

Actually I wonder the same thing about halo. I liked the first Halo then Halo 2 and 3 turned into multiplayer fest. But still, Halo 3 has a different story. Not everyone buys it for online. Im going to burrow halo 3 to play campaign and thats it.

Zelda has a different story in every game, and they add alot of new things.

Final Fantasy has new stories on each one does it now? New spells/skills? I dont play FF so I dont really know, but I doubt its the same.

RE has all different stories and new things. Especially RE4...

well they all have the same basics at the core... the storys all that really changes... the game type doesnt...Does Halo go from a FPS to a Strategy no, and its the same with all of the long lasters....
all that changes is the storys, graphics, and if your lucky the Gameplay... you change the game you loose the fans.
thats why game sequals normally bust, because its alot like movies the story doesnt have to get better than the first but the special effects better be good... '
See: spider-man

SM64 wasnt different from any other SMB game but it did show you how to play in the new 3D world... And it was considered one of the best Games of that time period...
alot of times the mario games are just an introduction to the system... no one said these are the best games made, but they never suck thats for sure... and sadly games that suck is something we have had to get use to lately... its not NES days where everything has to get a gold Seal of approval before they ship it out...

It may not be new,it may not be great, But it is a nice breath of fresh air when you know you can spend 30-50 dollars on a game take it home and not be mad with yourself later...

T3kNi9e said:
Actually I wonder the same thing about halo. I liked the first Halo then Halo 2 and 3 turned into multiplayer fest. But still, Halo 3 has a different story. Not everyone buys it for online. Im going to burrow halo 3 to play campaign and thats it.

Zelda has a different story in every game, and they add alot of new things.

Final Fantasy has new stories on each one does it now? New spells/skills? I dont play FF so I dont really know, but I doubt its the same.

RE has all different stories and new things. Especially RE4...

if were gonna get that specific then mario always changes... fire power,racoon,cape,water cannons... geesh

Halo, you shoot people,
Link/Zelda you get your weapons and travel the country side,
FF you cast spells,
RE you kill zombies....
and in mario... most the time you save the kingdom

it hasnt changed one bit...lol atleast you can take mario and play something else once in a while too, like sports,smash brother,cart,party....

Last edited:
wezeles said:
if were gonna get that specific then mario always changes... fire power,racoon,cape,water cannons... geesh

Halo, you shoot people,
Link/Zelda you get your weapons and travel the country side,
FF you cast spells,
RE you kill zombies....
and in mario... most the time you save the kingdom

it hasnt changed one bit...lol atleast you can take mario and play something else once in a while too, like sports,smash brother,cart,party....

lol if you say it that way, then it makes everything seem repetitive. Thats a bad arguement as its basically a way to ignore the situation instead of manning up to it.

Simply put, Mario is repetitive, a hell of alot more than most all games. There's no way around it because its true. You can try to make other games seem repetitive but its not, especially when compared to SMG.

But being older I dont like things to be so close to repetitiveness. The galaxy and gravity thing was the biggest change which was nice, but it still felt ALOT like SM64 but 10x easier.

and you really cant bring up halo, because ive already admitted that its about the same aside from a few new guns, new story and new maps.

But what you said about the other games is downright being evasive. You could say all the GTA's were the same, when its just not true. Though GTA4 could end up being like the rest, but we'll see when its released.

I don't like that a lot of people are agreeing with this article.

What it all boils down to is this: The reason people aren't sick of Mario is because he is a Classic.

When you think of arcade games (Galaga, DigDug, Pacman, etc.) Do you think: "Man. This game has no replay value whatsoever." Of course not! Those games were MADE to be played over and over again. Its the same deal with Mario. Its semi-short, sweet, and to the point. We don't replay Final Fantasy over and over again because it take 25 hours to beat it.

Mario takes 5 hours (give or take a few depending on the game), and theres bonuses and extra stuff to explore if you feel adventurous.

And as much as people like to disagree, everyone loves it when the story has a happy ending. People who claim that they get off on the fact that a main character dies in a story are complete idiots. They just want to be special.

We know Mario saves the day. We know that he is a lowly plumber trying to save and win the heart of a beautiful princess time and time again. And we know, that no matter how many times he saves her, shes going to be kidnapped and "tortured" by being put in a large comfortable room, being fed all she desires, and having the thought that a teddy-bear of a man is coming to save her. Everyone loves the storyline, and thats why we aren't tired of it.

Its nostalgia, plain and simple.

T3kNi9e said:
lol if you say it that way, then it makes everything seem repetitive. Thats a bad arguement as its basically a way to ignore the situation instead of manning up to it.

Simply put, Mario is repetitive, a hell of alot more than most all games. There's no way around it because its true. You can try to make other games seem repetitive but its not, especially when compared to SMG.

But being older I dont like things to be so close to repetitiveness. The galaxy and gravity thing was the biggest change which was nice, but it still felt ALOT like SM64 but 10x easier.

and you really cant bring up halo, because ive already admitted that its about the same aside from a few new guns, new story and new maps.

But what you said about the other games is downright being evasive. You could say all the GTA's were the same, when its just not true. Though GTA4 could end up being like the rest, but we'll see when its released.

lol I dont see how you think because you say so they are different... these games all have the same exact purpose with a slightly different story in mind...

granted it may stick out more in mario cause you always have to save the princess again, except in smb2 you can play as the princess,or toad,or luigi.... smb3 you save the princess after you free each kingdoms leader first... so the same but on a bigger scale.. SMW you need to ride a dinasaur to get anything done and do alot of flying... SM64 you need to controll your urge to vomit because its the first real 3d game you played and it gets to you... lol took me weeks to beat it just because of the motion sickness.... but yet again the gameplay severly changes as well in sunshine and galaxy...

so whats better the exact same gameplay with a different story? or basically the same story with different gameplay? thats really opinion... but obviously gameplay Seems to work fine.... how many other games could go till number 7 without much change in story? all it does is prove how popular it really is.... Granted not everyone likes it but based on sales they are in the minority

Last edited:
Quite frankly, I don't care. So what if I enjoy playing Mario games?(except party -_-) I think people need to chill about it being 'repetitive'. If you don't like it, then don't play, and leave us the heck alone.

The whole idea of games is to have fun. If people still have fun with GTA, let them play. If there is still a Mario following, wonderful. But I don't see the point of essentially saying all people who play Mario without question are all 'fapping fanboys'.

His argument applies to almost everygame i can think of. A franchise reaches a "terminal velocity" and stops creating new things. With SMG, Mario has proved that, he has still kept everything he had, but gave them a twist. and thats what he always does.

Thats why we arent bored. And at this rate, we never will be.

We're not bored of Mario because he's everbody's hero and in many ways, really an inspirational character. Sure the games follow the same basic plot every time but is that really such a bad thing? If you want a good plot line go watch a movie. Video games are about having fun and enjoying the experience of controlling your own character. Mario has appeared in over 200 games and is the very icon of gaming. In short, once you become bored of Mario, you become bored of video gaming itself.

Back