Wii health risks?

Mr_Happy

WiiChat Member
May 6, 2007
Two weeks ago I make a post about wiimotes and hand cancer (which promptly got deleted) and im told its perfectly safe. Now im watching TV and look what comes on - A Panorama episode on the health risks of radiation caused by wireless networking (wifi & bluetooth)!
Considering 1 Wii can have up to 18 bluetooth and wifi signals (16 wiimotes, the signal from the wii to the wiimotes and wifi signal to your router) all emiting at the same time, one right in your hand. I feel its especially relevant. :yikes:
Although I doubt many of you care, I thought I'd post this here incase.

Oh and you mods please dont delete this post, its a real health concern and I'd hate to have to go round posing it on every wii forum I can find, just so I can find one that wont delete my post. :aureola:

LOL you're kidding me. microwaves are more dangerous than IR waves. and wireless waves are like radio waves....radio waves can only kill in large quantities, wireless routers don't kill people, but radio towers do.

Actualy it is a legitamit concern..... I laugh my but off every time I see some fool wearing a blue tooth ear-piece for there cell phone. hmm lets jam a transmitter that out puts at frequencies of 2.4 mhz in our ear.... can you say cerebral carcinoma. A more imediate concern is carpel tunnel though. You tend to need have to have a familial history or other contributing factors to cancers.... such as smoking or handling of carcinogens to help excite free radicals into rapid formation of cancer cells..... Eat lots of anti-oxidants. Ive worked in a high radiation environment for 11 years and my dad has for 37 years. Healthy diet and proper protective gear help. I will be marketting lead lined wii gloves soon at only 350 bucks a pair. They will weigh 5 pounds so they shouldnt interfere too much with game play:smilewinkgrin: Just dont worry about it... as long as you dont hold the thing for hours a day in your mouth you will be ok. blue tooth works at 2.4 mhz microwave at 3.0 ghz thats a big difference but radiation is QUANTATATIVE not QUALATIVE. meaning long term lowdose exposures can be just as or more damage causing than one short high dose. The problem is no one knows the threshhold for long term low dose.

Last edited:
it is a consern but i heard noone that got canser, i heard you can get from cellphones and they are cases where that happend, but these are people on there cellphones ALOT

Of course no one has gotten cancer yet, but this is a long term deal to think about. Cell phones are bad, tvs are bad, computers are bad, i'm sure wii remotes are too. These days we are all getting quite a bit of these not so good waves. Only years from now will we all see just how bad it really is. :smilewinkgrin:

Oh well, time to go play with my cancer stick!:smilewinkgrin:

All the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in the world is just a drop in the bucket compared to the ocean of other problems and risks humans have to deal with, honestly. It's not like you're being exposed to gamma radiation.

Take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Radio_transmition_diagram_en.png

Lower power = longer wavelength. Longer wavelength = less risk. Anything lower than 300GHz (generally) won't have any effect on your health. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are FAR below that limit, which is a good thing.

Take into consideration that visible light is OVER 300GHz, on the same spectrum.

Last edited:
LOL.... MaXimus you could not be more wrong. Radiowaves at 3ghz are quite dangerous yet alone 300ghz. radio waves have there own spectrum and microwave energy begins at 3ghz... far below the 300 ghz threshhold you set. Tell a hotpocket 3ghz radiowaves are not dangerous. 3ghz (microwave energy) is UHF... that is Ultra High Frequency.... very short waves. I use an mri scanner which can output up to 2.7 ghz radiowaves. when a patient is large enough the scanner will give a warning that you are aproaching microwave strength and prolonged exposure may burn the patient. I have actually seen a patient recieve 2nd degree burns from prolonged mri exposure. they where large and touched the sides of the gantry where the transmitters are housed. Low doses can and due cause harm there is no such thing as negligable dose when that dose is given over long periods of time. I still wouldnt worry about the wiimote though its the ear pieces I would worry about. Even if blue tooth is only strong enough to deposit energy 1/16 of an inch into your skin....... the ear piece is IN your ear. not far for a tumur to travel before it hits the brain.

Last edited:
shadowrunner said:
LOL.... MaXimus you could not be more wrong. Radiowaves at 3ghz are quite dangerous yet alone 300ghz. radio waves have there own spectrum and microwave energy begins at 3ghz... far below the 300 ghz threshhold you set. Tell a hotpocket 3ghz radiowaves are not dangerous. 3ghz (microwave energy) is UHF... that is Ultra High Frequency.... very short waves. I use an mri scanner which can output up to 2.7 ghz radiowaves. when a patient is large enough the scanner will give a warning that you are aproaching microwave strength and prolonged exposure may burn the patient. I have actually seen a patient recieve 2nd degree burns from prolonged mri exposure. they where large and touched the sides of the gantry where the transmitters are housed. Low doses can and due cause harm there is no such thing as negligable dose when that dose is given over long periods of time. I still wouldnt worry about the wiimote though its the ear pieces I would worry about. Even if blue tooth is only strong enough to deposit energy 1/16 of an inch into your skin....... the ear piece is IN your ear. not far for a tumur to travel before it hits the brain.

What the hell did you think high powered radiation does? NOT burn? That's like pointing a 50mW laser pointer in somebody's eye and saying "Do you see it?".

A large flood of particles or waves will not cause ionization if the individual particles or waves are not energetic enough. These ionizations, if enough occur, can be destructive to biological organisms, and can cause DNA damage in individual cells. Extensive doses of ionizing radiation have been shown to have a mutating effect to future generations of the individual receiving the dose.

The amount of energy required to ionize an atom or molecule may widely vary. X-rays and gamma rays will ionize almost any molecule or atom; Far ultraviolet, near ultraviolet and visible light are ionizing to very few molecules; microwaves and radio waves are non-ionizing radiation.

Mr_Happy said:
Two weeks ago I make a post about wiimotes and hand cancer (which promptly got deleted) and im told its perfectly safe. Now im watching TV and look what comes on - A Panorama episode on the health risks of radiation caused by wireless networking (wifi & bluetooth)!
Considering 1 Wii can have up to 18 bluetooth and wifi signals (16 wiimotes, the signal from the wii to the wiimotes and wifi signal to your router) all emiting at the same time, one right in your hand. I feel its especially relevant. :yikes:
Although I doubt many of you care, I thought I'd post this here incase.

Oh and you mods please dont delete this post, its a real health concern and I'd hate to have to go round posing it on every wii forum I can find, just so I can find one that wont delete my post. :aureola:

You're so full of **** its amazing. Get a life for real. Theres a million more "dangerous" things than the Wiimote so I'll take my "chances" with this new method of playing.

Actually, when you think about it -- this entire topic is iffy.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both use wireless controllers (I'm assuming both Bluetooth, but I don't know for sure), why not mention them too? :-/

MaXiMiUS said:
Actually, when you think about it -- this entire topic is iffy.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both use wireless controllers (I'm assuming both Bluetooth, but I don't know for sure), why not mention them too? :-/
Yep. Its just another anti-Wii poster......

^^I agree with that^^

I'm sure that Bluetooth and Wifi can be, "dangerous":sick: but I really doubt anyone is worried about this. Besides I have the kind of attitude thats like, "I'll wait for it to happen and then I'll begin to worry". Hell, knowing me I probably wont even worry after it happens either lol.

Back