Wii memory card

esoterika

meow mix
Mar 5, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Wii Online Code
2614-1105-1770-2289
I was just wondering, is the Wii's SD card just for game data or does it do something else? I've been using my Gamecube one inside my Wii and noticed theres an extra slot for a SD card. Now, can this be ANY SD card or does it have to be the Wii brand? I saw it at the store and it looks just like any 1Gb SD card would... is this something I would want for my Wii?

Well you can store photos on the SD card, and game saves from the internet. It has to be a wii SD card brand, you can't use any old SD card. If you want to store photos or get game data off of your friends wii, then get an SD card.

Foosoo said:
It has to be a wii SD card brand, you can't use any old SD card.

Poor information.

Nearly ANY SD card will work up to 2GB .. .. .. there are a few that don't, but all of the major brands do.

idjut said:
it accepts larger than 2GB
No it doesn't.

First of all, just because that listing has "Nintendo" in the name, it's not made by Nintendo. It's the manufacturer SterlingTek (falsely) claiming that it'll work with the Nintendo Wii.

Secondly, if you read the reviews you'll already see someone comment on both this fact and reiterating that the Wii doesn't support over 2GB.

I'll spare you the technical reasons, but 2GB is a "special" size point. It took certain technology to handle cards bigger, usually these days it's done with SDHC. The Wii doesn't support SDHC nor does it support standard SD > 2GB.

Back