Wii News Channel Now Live

i0n

:eek:
Apr 30, 2006
UK
I'm sure most of you are now aware that the Wii News Channel is now fully active. The news channel is a free service to Wii owners, the News Channel gives you key stories in multiple categories from across the country and around the world.

"The Associated Press is always looking for innovative ways to expand its audience for news and information," said Jane Seagrave, vice president and director of AP's digital division. "The Wii News Channel extends our global reach even further, on yet another platform, offering our news to people who otherwise might not see it."

The simple user interface allows Wii owners to spin a virtual globe and point to the location of a news event using the Wii Remote. Stories will be listed under headings including Business, Sports, Arts/Entertainment, Technology and Science/Health to allow users to quickly access information in the order they want. At any given time, dozens of stories might be available for each category. In the global view, stories can be grouped by region instead of category. Icons show which stories have been read, which stories are text-only and which ones come with news photos. Because Wii caters to all different ages, the interface allows users to change the size of the text. By using the "always-on" system functionality of WiiConnect24™, stories will be updated frequently, even while owners are sleeping.

this is very fun, cool and of course informative. ive been reading all morning lol

hmmmm.......... some local news if you live in the south. seems nothing going on here in scotland. our local news search came up with leeds which is bout 450 miles away:frown2: on the plus side the rest of the worlds news kept me occupied for a while

Very very cool I thought - child like interface with adult content; it's spot on. I especially like the global interface with the news items stacking up into piles of news papers. Pictures as well....well done AP and Nintendo

I was a bit disapointed.
I was expected scrolling news like you see at the bottom of CNN, etc.
Also was expecting audio and video content.
The globe looks really cool though esp. with the high stacks of news in some countries.

I noticed that my firmware version stayed on 4.1 E though.

Love the news channel, it's very easy to use and informative. I was excited when I saw the blue light on today, and once it downloaded, I was on it for a while trying it out. Good job, Nintendo. Now we'll see how up-to-date the channel is.

Calvinhedge said:
Love the news channel, it's very easy to use and informative. I was excited when I saw the blue light on today, and once it downloaded, I was on it for a while trying it out. Good job, Nintendo. Now we'll see how up-to-date the channel is.

seems to be updated every couple of hours so far

A really great combination of the Weather Channel's globe system and news from all around the world!:) I was surprised at some of the news as it's a bit violent, not because I'm a prude or anything, but if they're allowing this stuff to be viewed by kids of all ages, then why not allow us the ability to communicate with people we don't know? Why do we have to use the friend-code system to protect us and then we can read stuff that's just as graphic as what some random person might say in a message?

Hope in time they'll be able to incorporate local news too; I'd like to know when different bands are coming to clubs in my city.:D

Nice easy way to get some headlines. I like the global news (globe) too, however, not much in the rest of the world, mostly US news. This will be great. Now, I can get weather and news.

news channel is pretty nice. good news updates.

I think the wii news channel is a great channel.I think they did do it almost perfect.The scrolling bottom would have been neat.

I was incredibly dissapoinbted with this terribly crap news service. You'd think nothing ever happened here (in Australia). All the news was american crud I'm simply not interested in. Like "judge x in blahtown says Blurglefartyromp!" - rewally - who gives a flying **** about that who isn't in blahtown?

They really need a better supplier for the stories.

Back