Wii Success May Lead to Cheaper Next-Gen

Torin said:
I will agree it was like that the first month I got it. But think about it the same would for the 360 or PS3. When I first bought those there were only like 2 good games that you could play, which I ended up beating and then got bored of it. Now over a year into the 360 it has tons of games and options, the Wii for me is the same way, I have several games and continue to play it every day.
well if you were into shooters cod2 couldve kept you busy. cod2 is still one of the top played pc games online, even after cod4 came out. :shocked:

LoganSix said:
I'm having a hard time believing you actually have 2 friends who live physically near you, so your "couple million" is very hard to swallow.

I played Tiger Woods '08 with the husbands and, yes, Wii Sports with the wives. They won't buy the Wii for their 3 and 5 year old, they will buy it for themselves. I know for a fact that my brother and his family play the Wii actively. And I know for a fact that the people who came over to play at my brother's when I had the Wii over there, play actively on the ones they bought.

I have games I play when my friends are over and ones I play alone. I don't play video games every waking hour when I get home from work, I have a social life that takes me out of the house, maybe you should try working on one.
social life... overrated.

funny you mention that because im about to leave to the movies so i cant continue playing in this thread. too bad, so sad.

Sovieto said:
well if you were into shooters cod2 couldve kept you busy. cod2 is still one of the top played pc games online, even after cod4 came out. :shocked:

Again, maybe you should read posts more carefully, I did not say anything about PC games?

Sovieto said:
funny you mention that because im about to leave to the movies so i cant continue playing in this thread. too bad, so sad.

Enjoy the movies by yourself.
My evening consists of having an adult conversation and probably getting a beer afterwards with a group of friends.

I don't see Sony or Microsoft going any cheaper personally, they will still be pushing the big hardware. Nintendo will probably advance the motion sensing a bit and use visuals similar to what 360 was this gen.

Sovieto said:
you know, ever since the week after i bought a wii on its launch date i realized...
the wii is like a trampoline, its really fun once you get it!!!!! its sooo fun! you think theres nothing better. then after a week or 2 it kinda gets boring, you go on it once in awhile. then your friends come over! oh boy! your friends and you play on the trampoline like its the best thing ever and your friends leave wishing they had a trampoline too. this happens over and over. then soon, you hardly touch the trampoline, your friends still thinks its great but when they come over youre like: nahhh, lets do something else.

I meant to stay out of this discussion because I think it's sort of silly to compare these systems - if people find them to be fun, let them have their fun. But upon reading this, I had to put in my couple of cents.

That 'trampoline effect' you talk about with respect to the Wii being fun for a couple weeks and then gets boring is NOT a Wii exclusive effect. It's a game effect. It doesn't matter what system a game is on, if it doesn't compel you to keep playing you won't.

Personally I'm a PC fanboy, my computer can kick any console up and down the block with regard to graphics and performance, but I still enjoy my Wii and I've played SSBB almost every night since it came out. I also play SM Galaxy frequently and really 'should' get back into Metroid but I can't stop playing SSBB :p Certainly, I don't really play Wii Sports much since getting Pro in bowling and golf, but that's not the fault of the Wii, it's me having got my money's worth out of a game that I may come back to briefly but will never really spend time on again.

So really, the only thing I'd like to correct is that it's not your Wii that gets boring after a while, it's games in general, which is why they release new games... if they never got boring, we'd still be playing Asteroids on the Atari 2600.

Well, what an interesting thread....

I for one agree with Sovieto and also with the many Wii fans that have spoken in this thread. I've had my Wii since Christmas and until next week, my Wii will actually be used since about 2 months because I'm finally getting SSBB. I like my Wii, but at times it does get boring. I agree with Bliss on the whole "patience" because I believe it will sooner or later come out with more better games. Take PS3 for example, at first it was just a very strong hardware console with hardly any good games, but now it starting to bring out the exclusives and is starting to become more popular than that of the 360. Though I'm not going to get either PS3 nor 360 because I'm just going to get an awesome PC to worry about all the high end graphics. Well, there's my opinion on this topic.

The Wii has some strong hardware too. It's unfortunate that more games don't take better advantage of it, and instead are trying to rush games out the door (having been caught with their pants down regarding the Wii's success and popularity).

sremick said:
The irony is: give a modern kid Asteroids to play, and they'd probably be sucked in immediately. Easy, obvious gameplay. Quick to pick up. Fun to play.

Find out: http://www.neave.com/games/asteroids/

Sort of like Pac Man, Tetris, etc.
I just played it this morning! (in widgets) : )

After reading some of Sovieto I can see you prefer 360 over Wii, but why bash some people who post in the thread? The reason why you start attacking is because you misread the message of fun > graphic, that doesn't mean omg Wii (fun) > 360 (graphic). Beyond that is just purely personal opinion of what fun is to certain people. Me? I still play Wii Sports even after owning the Wii for two months now, it's still as fun as the first time I've played it : )

More people who come to visit me want to play Wii Sports bowling more than any other game. These are people who've been playing my (and others') Wiis for over a year now. It doesn't seem to be getting "old" anytime soon.

Sovieto said:
great, you sold 2 familiys on the wii, ive sold a couple million myself on it too. but once they get it do you think they really play it actively? did you let them have their fun with carnival games and wii sports and they were left thinking it was so fun? how long does that fun last?

you know, ever since the week after i bought a wii on its launch date i realized...
the wii is like a trampoline, its really fun once you get it!!!!! its sooo fun! you think theres nothing better. then after a week or 2 it kinda gets boring, you go on it once in awhile. then your friends come over! oh boy! your friends and you play on the trampoline like its the best thing ever and your friends leave wishing they had a trampoline too. this happens over and over. then soon, you hardly touch the trampoline, your friends still thinks its great but when they come over youre like: nahhh, lets do something else.

and i know i wasnt the only one this happened to, not by a long shot. i dont expect anyone to be like: oh yes sovieto, youre right... it is like a trampoline and i hardly play it anymore!
i just want people to read this, let it sink in, let them know, whether they admit it or not, this is the truth. YES. i am confident this is how it goes, because it has happened to every single person i know personally who owns a wii.

i read like the first 3 sentences, then i fell over your wall and broke my eye. read the paragraph above this.

The trampoline analogy - me like!

Wow, what was this topic about again...
I see the price structure staying close to the way it is. Nintendo seems set to launch @ the $250 price range which is ok for me. I was lucky to find a store (FYE) that offered a $50 rebate for reserving and purchasing a 360 at it's launch so $350 wasn't too bad for me at the time. I still can't justify buying the PS3 right now, I will wait for a significant price drop and pick up an even cheaper one on Ebay eventually.

As for the other topic in this thread...:smilewinkgrin:

I was very excited to get my 360 when it came out. I got it on day one and played some very nice looking, fairly fun games. Later games like Gears of War and Bioshock came out and I was very pleased. But the whole time, I was bored with the same old same old. I thought this was the "Next-Generation" and all I seemed to get from it was Hi Def graphics, a bigger hardrive, and more online gaming. Now I love all those things, but it didn't feel new or fresh to me. I was very excited about the Wii. I will always be a diehard Nintendo fan and considering the fact that the Wii has only been out for a little over a year and I already have Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash, and soon Mario Kart in my collection, I must tip my hat to Nintendo. I agree that the Wii makes the best 2nd console choice for the hardcore. It is selling to the masses though because hardcore players are not the masses. We are a minority. Go out to a bar or any public gathering and say something like "who else is excited about that clan tourney in Rainbow 6?" and see how many people care about what you're talking about. But start a conversation about the Wii and people are interested. (Actually many bars even have Wii bowling leagues and such in place already). Casual sells, it is not a bad thing. I play my wii almost daily. Not for hours as I can w/ my 360 but it still gets play time. But I invested a lot of time chasing stars in Mario, completing Zelda and Metroid, and now with Smash, the wii is getting more of my attention again. When compared to other tactical shooters on the 360 or PS3, Medal of Honor is horrible. But I have so much fun playing it because of the unique controls. Thats what's fun and different. And that is why I resent the statement that the Wii's gameplay is not fun. That couldn't be further from the truth IMO.

So let Sony and Microsoft continue this arms race of theirs. Hopefully they will eventually see some profit come their way. In the mean time I applaud Nintendo for giving me a unique experience coupled with some of the finest first-party games I have ever played of theirs.
Sorry for the wall of text

Even if the next-gen systems try following in the wii's footsteps, Nintendo will do it best, they've already proven that they're the masters of innovation. I can see Microsoft staying firmly in their Shooter/moderately expensive niche and still doing pretty well; Sony might try to butt in on Nintendo's market. Bad idea for Sony, because people will probably still buy the nintendo product due to their signature characters.

Back