Wiikly Update for 10/29/07 (US)

mym6

WiiChat Member
Jan 26, 2007
ND USA
Castlevania® II Simon's Quest (NES®, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): In this one-player adventure, you'll take on the role of Simon Belmont once again and duel to the death with Count Dracula. Grab your legendary whip, Vampire Killer, and roam freely through Transylvania on a quest to find the count's missing body parts-these are the key to breaking an evil curse. This quest won't be easy, though, for you must battle hideous fiends who stalk the land. In addition to the intense action and tight control the Castlevania series is known for, this sequel also introduced several unique game-play elements into the fold. Build experience the longer you play, buy weapons and items from merchants, or talk with villagers to get clues (some of which are false). Watch as day turns to night and then back again. Take a deep breath, steady your nerves, and help Simon end his curse and defeat the count once and for all.

SAMURAI-GHOST™ (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older - Animated Blood and Violence, 600 Wii Points): This action platformer features a samurai ghost from the depths of the underworld. In a past war, Kagekiyo managed to defeat the shogun Yoritomo and his clan. However, their evil spirits were not completely destroyed, and now, in the world known as Dark Side, they seek the time of their rebirth. In order to shatter those ambitions, Kagekiyo must make his way across seven zones and head for "The Heart of the Darkside" where Yoritomo lies in wait. Use spirit weapons to power up your sword, or other items, such as candles to recover health, and defeat the endless hordes of enemies. Each zone is not only protected by a boss but also includes demons as well as real samurai from 12th-century Japan. Get ready for some intense one-on-one combat action.

MAGICIAN LORD (NEOGEO, 1-2 players, Rated T for Teen - Blood and Fantasy Violence, 900 Wii Points): Released in 1990 and regarded as one of the NEOGEO's earliest signature games, this side-scrolling platformer mixes action with the mystical world of fantasy. A magician named Elta, last descendant of the famed Magician Lord, takes on an epic adventure to save the world from the evil Gul-Agieze. Elta must battle through eight stages, collecting the eight tomes of power that are key to defeating Gul-Agieze and his evil plans. By obtaining orbs in one of three colors (elements) that appear during the game, Elta's offensive powers and jumping abilities can be strengthened. The effect varies considerably depending on the combination of elements, though, and Elta can transform into six different forms: Waterman, Dragon Warrior, Shinobi, Samurai, Raijin or Poseidon. Can you help Elta to become the new Magician Lord?

I'm getting Magician Lord. I already have Simon's Quest. A lot of people hate that game but I actually liked it. If you like Zelda II: Adventure of Link it's similar. I think Simon's Quest is better, though. No overhead map, some really catchy music, and lots of exploration. Out of all my NES games that's probably one of the top 10 I spent the most time playing because of the different endings based on how long it takes you to beat the game.

It's not as good as the other NES Castlevania games, though. Why couldn't they have added something like Zombies Ate My Neighbors instead of Samurai Ghost?

Last edited:
I'll probably get simon's quest when I finally get some points. I thought it was a good game back in the day, still waiting for turtles II though.

I was going to save the wii points that I have but every time I save for something good nothing comes out. Maybe if I use them that will change.

There goes my last 500 points.

I want to try out Magician Lord too. It was supposed to be one of the first 3 VC NEO releases, but we got stuck with fighters instead. Might have to get more points for that one.

They do know that there was this little system they had called the Nintendo 64 right...

balsho said:
They do know that there was this little system they had called the Nintendo 64 right...

Agreed. There really should be at least one release weekly for every system featured on the VC.

Releases aren't bad this week though.

Last edited:
The other games for the N64 I can think of that are worth playing are Majora's Mask, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Smash Bros., The Banjo games, Mischief Makers, Blast Corps, Body Harvest. Most of the major N64 games have already been released.

An alien invasion game like Body Harvest would have fit the theme they were going for I guess.

Wish they would have released Rondo of Blood but I think Konami may steer clear of that because of the PSP version. Anyway, the games this week are a heck of a lot better than last week's stuff.

Last edited:
Pilot Wings, Ken Griffy Jr. baseball(prob rights issues), Shadows of the empire, Turok... They just piss me off, I bought the thing for the VC and this wait on releasing the good/popular games is just dumb.

I know the Angry Gamer Nerd hated Castlevania 2, but I liked it (I bought mine for $1 back in the day). It's a lot slower pace than a normal NES game, and as long as you have an FAQ you will do fine.

Castlevania 1 is one of the hardest, Castlevania 2 is one of the easiest. Castlevania 3 is just right. Beware the bears!

Zackh321 said:
I'm getting Magician Lord. I already have Simon's Quest. A lot of people hate that game but I actually liked it. If you like Zelda II: Adventure of Link it's similar. I think Simon's Quest is better, though. No overhead map, some really catchy music, and lots of exploration. Out of all my NES games that's probably one of the top 10 I spent the most time playing because of the different endings based on how long it takes you to beat the game.

It's not as good as the other NES Castlevania games, though. Why couldn't they have added something like Zombies Ate My Neighbors instead of Samurai Ghost?

I did too.

Magician Lord, HELL YEAH. I LOVE THAT GAME. I can still remeber as kid going to 7-11 when they still had arcades and playing that game along with Street Fighter 2. Now only if Capcom would release some arcade perfect Street Fighter 2 on the VC to compete with Neo-Geo.

Back