Wii's Internal Memory

The Wii could use that space for developers. If that's true then the 4gb is null. It will be a priority to developers and NOT extra space for VC.

It's probably used to reduce load times, which makes sense. Just look at the PS3, it's a load beast! Ever load when you bring up the menu screen? Raise the bar Sony! In those terms all consoles are last gen, because 2 of them promised loading screens would be a thing of the past, and all of them are still using loading screens. I'm not sure how much of that memory goes to reducing load times, or it's like Virtual Memory on your computer.

SD cards save VC games? I thought they could only store save data? I'll be getting a SD card once Brawl comes out. To store replays, maps, and port music into future games.

No, the VC game progress is not saved to the SD card. The VC game progress is saved automatically because the Wii uses software emulation for its VC games. The SD card saves the "channel" info but does not oallow you to play directly from the SD card, only transfer back to Wii internal memory. The 4GB flash memory could be used for ALOT of things including decreasing load times, updates, overclocking reasons, etc. It's WAY too early to know but know that Nintendo forsaw the space and graphics issue long before we thought about discussing it... they have us covered, trust me....:yesnod:

ShawVAuto said:
About the Wii's internal memory, there is a video on You Tube about a company called Semi Conductor taking apart a Wii. They discovered that it in fact has a chip with 4GB of flash memory on top of the 512MB that we all know and hate.

Could someone, in theory, just replace the 512MB with a larger size and increase the internal memory?

I have all the retro games for play on my PC. I have only downloaded my true favorites off of VC so I will never have trouble with memory. But I have never downloaded any N64 games on there which I'm sure take alot more space. I do agree that more storage space would be better for the ones who download alot.

Dav_4550 said:
Could someone, in theory, just replace the 512MB with a larger size and increase the internal memory?
It would depend on the memory controller... and, of course, your abilities to solder surface-mount components with lots of pins by hand (which aren't designed to be soldered by hand). Surface-mount rework equipment exists, but unless you're doing a lot of such work, the price is prohibitive.

http://users.tpg.com.au/pschamb/surm1.jpg

Sremick is right, unless you have the proper equipment, DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT. It may be possible but Nintendo has/will release new ways to access space. I REALLY can't see them expecting to release 1-3 games per Monday (US) for who knows how long on top of DS demos on top of updates on top of WiiWare and not have a solution for space constraints. It's Nintendo for crying outloud. It's like thinking FORD would not forsee a problem with the assembly line when they started it. Nintendo revolutionized home console gaming and made it a staple, they have something.:crazy:

Back