Xbox 360 Black Elite

Syntax

That Canucks Fan
Dec 27, 2006
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0001
Apparently Microsoft will be releasing a new xbox in the next week or so called
the Black Elite. Heres some more information on the console along with some pictures.

It's no great surprise that Microsoft has a new Xbox 360 model in the works, but today they made if official and also announced five new Video Marketplace partners.

The Xbox 360 Elite will come with a 120GB hard drive, an HDMI port, a HDMI cable, both component and composite cables, an audio adapter for use with HDMI and a black finish for the console, wireless controller and Xbox Live headset. It will not have, despite rumors to the contrary, the smaller 65 nanometer chips, built in IPTV support or a built-in HD-DVD drive.

While Microsoft declined to comment on specific launch numbers for the new model, they did say it would not be a limited edition run. The Elite is here to stay, as are the core and standard Xbox 360.

The Elite model will hit in North America on April 29 for $479.99 along with a new stand-alone 120 GB hard drive that will sell for a whopping $179.99. The hard drive will come with a transfer cable and software to move the content stored on a 20 GB hard drive to your new drive.

Microsoft will also begin selling black battery packs and play and charge kits for the same price as their white counter-parts.

While the Elite edition will also be selling around the world, Microsoft did not discuss the date or price for other regions.

"Today's games and entertainment enthusiast has an insatiable appetite for digital high-definition content," Peter Moore, corporate vice president for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, said in a prepared statement. "Xbox 360 Elite's larger hard drive and premium accessories will allow our community to enjoy all that the next generation of entertainment has to offer."

Peter Dille, senior vice president of Marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment of America, was quick to point out that all of Sony's consoles offer an "elite" experience.

"The PlayStation 3 is the only elite gaming system on the market. Microsoft is trying to catch up to us at this point. Beyond the benefits of HDMI and a hard drive offered on every PS3 we make, we also provide game developers and consumers the huge capacity of Blu-ray disc, Wi-Fi, free online gameplay, wireless motion sensing controller and the power of Cell," said Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Our strategy has always been to offer all our consumers a future-proof experience when they first purchase any PS3, rather than continually asking users to upgrade with expensive new add-ons and entire new SKUs."

Speaking with Albert Penello, director for global platform marketing for the Xbox 360, earlier today I asked him why, after months of saying that an HDMI output was unnecessary for high-def gaming, was Microsoft now releasing a console with the port.

It was, after all, just six months ago that Msoft's Shane Kim was calling 720p the "super sweet spot" for gaming.

"That's a good question," he said. "I think what's interesting is that we have proven the point. One of the reasons we talked about that at the beginning was we were competing with a bunch of empty promises. We said 1080p cane be done through analog, the picture quality isn't any better on HDMI, and I think we proved that."

" I don't think (HDMI) is necessary, it's not necessary to give a high-def experience," he said. "The HDMI decision was partially something that we have been thinking about how we were going to introduce. And now that there are a lot of televisions that have HDMI, we felt the time was right."

But, Penello is quick to point out, the Elite really isn't about the HDMI out, the big news for the Elite is the larger hard drive.

"I wouldn't encourage a current owner to come out and buy the Elite," he said. "We are releasing the stand-alone 120 GB drive... that's really going to be the primary solution for those who want more storage."

Penello said that Microsoft is working on a way to allow those current Xbox 360 owners who do decide to buy an Elite to transfer their data from their old Xbox 360 to their new one. He added that Microsoft has no intention of discontinuing either of the current models, there will be, he stressed, three Xbox 360 SKUs in the marketplace.

"We still think the 20 gig model will be our volume driver, the one most customers will buy," he said.

The decision to create an Elite model for the 360 was spurred in part by the "explosive growth of marketplace," Penello said.

While Penello acknowledged that the hard drive limitations of the Xbox 360 is a hot topic on gaming forums, he said that Microsoft doesn't believe that's an issue faced by most typical gamers.

"From my standpoint a lot of people still have room on their 20GB hard drives and we are still going to optimize all of the content on marketplace around 20GB," he said.

Microsoft also announced deals with distribution deals with five new video Marketplace partners:

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment: They will be releasing its direct to video movies exclusively in high definition on Xbox LIVE simultaneous with their availability on DVD, starting with "Sublime" and later offering "Babylon 5: The Lost Tales."

A&E Network: "Dog the Bounty Hunter," "King of Cars," "Gene Simmons Family Jewels," "Driving Force" and "Criss Angel Mindfreak"

ADV Films: Top offerings from the #1 producer-distributor of Japanese animation ("anime") outside of Japan

National Geographic: The television series "Is It Real?" and "Taboo" as well as programs such as "21 Days to Baghdad" and "Air Force One"

New Line Cinema: "Snakes on a Plane," "Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning" and "Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny," plus top titles including "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" and "Magnolia"

TotalVid: A broad action-sports offering including extreme skiing and snowboarding, skateboarding, motocross, surfing and mountain biking

xbe6.jpg

xbe2.jpg

xbe1.jpg

xbe3.jpg

Will add more images tomorrow...

yeah, i can't wait for this... mainly the 120gb HDD, but the console would be nice too, but i currently have a black one... i dunno how much HDMI will imrove my PQ though..

HDMI are only for those that need 1080p output and don't have VGA. Really, its not really worth anything as there really isn't anything cool they are adding. They could have built in the HD DVD drive, wifi, with upgradeable HD. The 120gb HD will cost $179. Insane.

I've just ordered a 360 and considered cancelling but I'm not waiting an extra month or so for this... especially as I got a good deal on my 360 - £285 delivered from hmv for premium console, gears of war, pro evo 6 and crackdown... can't wait :)

Hello I have a little something to say about this. I've notice as you all have known that this system have been leaked some time ago and microsoft denied it as if they didn't know this was in development. I have a 360 and I'm outraged and I'll tell you guys why, Xbox 360 has been out for over a year and in that year we've been getting (dare I say) games that are little underplayed by the system performance. Look at the big picture a year and half before they decide to drop this on us and for $479, This system could have been in all our home at the get go but only when they saw what ps3 and wii are adding to their systems someone got scared and said 120dd to save the system. I should not have to pay an extra $150+ for a bigger hard drive hell nobody should, I remember back then when ps3 came out with the 60gb dd we said why all memory for? Nintendo what 512mb let's be honest some of us laughed, my point is they knew what their system will require in the future, and who know they might upgrade into bigger drives... well Nintendo will. But hey give your praise to the "elite" system I for one am not! I don't like how they stabbed those who jumped on the bandwangon, supported them in the console war only to be denied something that we all should have had in the beginning! Bad move Microsoft and trust this will reflect in the coming days in the console wars.

So when these new models come out, will the current 360's not be produced anymore? Will we not be able to buy them anymore except on Ebay or whatever?

Excuse me if this is explained in the article, I didn't read it...

Hello I have a little something to say about this. I've notice as you all have known that this system have been leaked some time ago and microsoft denied it as if they didn't know this was in development. I have a 360 and I'm outraged and I'll tell you guys why, Xbox 360 has been out for over a year and in that year we've been getting (dare I say) games that are little underplayed by the system performance. Look at the big picture a year and half before they decide to drop this on us and for $479, This system could have been in all our home at the get go but only when they saw what ps3 and wii are adding to their systems someone got scared and said 120dd to save the system. I should not have to pay an extra $150+ for a bigger hard drive hell nobody should, I remember back then when ps3 came out with the 60gb dd we said why all memory for? Nintendo what 512mb let's be honest some of us laughed, my point is they knew what their system will require in the future, and who know they might upgrade into bigger drives... well Nintendo will. But hey give your praise to the "elite" system I for one am not! I don't like how they stabbed those who jumped on the bandwangon, supported them in the console war only to be denied something that we all should have had in the beginning! Bad move Microsoft and trust this will reflect in the coming days in the console wars.
mircrosoft did release ther console about 1-2 years before the current gen consoles even came out! stop complaining, they are just upgrading it. Your xbox is still going to be able to do everything the elite can, except use HDMI.

I don't what this guy is b*tching about. The 360 has been out for quite a while now. All they're doing is releasing a newer model. I don't think anything is wrong with it. I'm really excited to see how powerful it is and the sleek design in person. Does ANYONE know if it will have even BETTER GRAPHICS?

And how much does X Box Live GOLD Membership cost per year? And once you pay it is all the stuff on their free or do you have to pay more for certain things like music or w/e?

Last edited:
So Microsoft asked for a Mulligan? Its $20 cheaper than the ps3, but still uses the dvd drive. If it were able to use the hd dvd drive for games I would say great. Microsoft screwed up and are trying to get more buzz going with this system. I think it will fail. What little respect I had for the 360 was diminished with this system.

<<<Yet to get a 360 (damn money)
But I might look into geting this depends on the uk price

MasterJedi2U said:
I don't what this guy is b*tching about. The 360 has been out for quite a while now. All they're doing is releasing a newer model. I don't think anything is wrong with it. I'm really excited to see how powerful it is and the sleek design in person. Does ANYONE know if it will have even BETTER GRAPHICS?

And how much does X Box Live GOLD Membership cost per year? And once you pay it is all the stuff on their free or do you have to pay more for certain things like music or w/e?

The Elite will have the identical same hardware except for the harddrive and hdmi input. The Elite will NOT have the new cpu that runs cooler. This will come in yet another future 360.

Watch the video
http://on10.net/Blogs/tina/exclusive...he-xbox-elite/

I't on Microsofts Official web site now
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0327-microsoftunveilsxbox360elite.htm

Last edited:
asdfnick said:
mircrosoft did release ther console about 1-2 years before the current gen consoles even came out! stop complaining, they are just upgrading it. Your xbox is still going to be able to do everything the elite can, except use HDMI.
Complain huh? Okay let take a look at this a lot of people won't buy ps3 because of the price tag right okay, so when ps3 annouce that their system will have a blue ray disc drive included Microsoft comes out with a hd-disc drive for it's it system let's not mention it will cost you 200 dollars! Now they want you to pay an extra 150+ for more memory, the wireless add on is also $100, oh! and I didn't included the fact the you have to PAY! to use their Xbox live adding and extra $100 a year to that. The ps3 is what $600 dollars and thier online (though crappy) will be free, this new "elite" is a rip off of a ps3 and this is becoming well aware of those who stood out in line for Xbox360, again supported them by buying those crappy game, and who expect mass effect and halo 3 to be out soon and better be well worth the wait! becasue I tell you if you got the money to go and get this new "elite" system go ahead give your money to those who don't have respect for you, who keep you waiting on the line just long enough before someone comes along and blow them out of the war.

Wii&Ps3 said:
So Microsoft asked for a Mulligan? Its $20 cheaper than the ps3, but still uses the dvd drive. If it were able to use the hd dvd drive for games I would say great. Microsoft screwed up and are trying to get more buzz going with this system. I think it will fail. What little respect I had for the 360 was diminished with this system.

I'm sure Microsoft doesn't give a damn about how much respect you have for the 360. As for price its $20 cheaper and it has 6 times the Hard Drive space of the bottom of the 2 PS3 versions. Its $120 cheaper than the 60G PS3 so I could care less about DVD Drive. They don't want to choose the wrong format and I can't blame them.

Avatar you are complaining about something so stupid. Things cost money. IF you don't have it and you want it you have to pay. Its as simple as that. 2nd Live is the best online service on the market. I could care less how much it costs since its so great. As for Wireless you could always buy an Ethernet cable. I might just do that to save the 100. And oh yeah Mass Effect will be awesome. I don't think they will bring out any more versions of XBox for a long time so I don't have any problems buying this system and from the looks of things on other websites a lot of other people agree with me.

Last edited:
Back