480p Capability now confirmed for Wii for an extra $30

nintendowiigaming.piczo said:
i don't understand a S***! ?!?! i've got an HD TV .. do i have to buy some extra cables? ( SIMPLE answer please!)
If you want the best quality possible then yes, if your happy with an ok pciture then you dont have to buy any cables.

yah I am defenitely going to invest in getting those component cables. Although it is only 480p, I guess that is better than nothing.

I cant wait for the wii!!

pizzaluvr said:
that's not the right explenation though, that is dvd quality, it's EDTV SDTV is standard and is 480i, meaning it shows half the pixels on one screen and half on the other.

and btw this was confirmed like a month ago

A very jumbled explaination, but technically correct.

The easy way to see it is the "P" stands for progressive scan. This means it will scan every pixel every frame, making images appear much sharper and more vivid. 480i is the standard the "i" stands for interlaced. This means that even rows and odd rows of pixels scan on different frames, ie. the first third fifth etc frames will only scan odd rows of pixels and vise versa for even frames and rows.

This means with normal TV's you only see half of the TV's pixels at any one time, an easy way to see this is to view a television through a standard video camera, you will see the lines flickering away very easily and often the whole screen looks black as the pixels in the camera are in exact alignment with the TV's.

If you have a progressive scan television (not just HDTV some pre HD were prog as well) I strongly recommend using the 480p feature you will notice the difference, 29.99 for a lead is horendously cheap considering the usual cost of any high quality cable.

D Twizzle said:
Would the US one work over here in the UK?
Just preordered an English one for launch, I bet the US one would have worked and been cheaper. Ah well at least I have a decent cable for launch.

For my PS2 i could definitly see a difference, even on a normal flatscreen TV (like tube TV but flat screen) i made sure it was a better picture cause i put the composite cables in then quickly switch and changed the channel to component and it was much much clear and everything was much more colourful and as said the blacks were truly black.

just my tid bit ok knowledge

Buy them at ebgames. or www.nintendo.com.

But i have a question, I dont have an HD TV, is there any point for me to fork out the 30 bucks to buy it? i wouldnt mind a better picture for 30 bucks, but i dont want to do it, if it wont be affected that much on a standard TV.

Back