60gb PS3 is NO MO

Its strange they did that....but hey we get an 80GB for $600 now....so its still....kinda considered a price cut.

DeathChron said:
Well it doesn't seem like a big deal to some people, but the 80GB version won't have the emotion engine. And a 80GB hard drive can be found quite cheap.
Thats why I got the 60GB, if it didnt have the EE, I wouldnt have bothered.

Well it not like there wont be backwards capability, Sony is relying on software emulation.

eh i got the 60gb right when it dropped. So kudos for me.

Shiftfallout said:
lol i should have figured Vagrant would post this. No suprise really. Actually the report isnt 100% accurate. At the moment it seems that way though. Look, sony is changing the hardware of the ps3. Both microsoft and sony are altering the cpus. Thus, it makes sense that the non changed model would drop in price.
Its still being discussed however.

Are you trying to say Sony and Microsoft are changing their Central Processing Units? As in Sony's Cell? I find that hard to believe since trying to increase the CPU on those systems would +$$ and make anyone who has bought the systems in the last year(s) get mad or afraid of games unplayable with a 'older cpu'

Maybe thats not what you meant, but just saying.

Last edited:
paintba||er said:

Ya, but software emulation sucks. Just look at the 360.....

Well the PS3 will be my first console that uses software emulation. So can someone tells me why its so bad?

PtonJalken said:
eh i got the 60gb right when it dropped. So kudos for me.

Are you trying to say Sony and Microsoft are changing their Central Processing Units? As in Sony's Cell? I find that hard to believe since trying to increase the CPU on those systems would +$$ and make anyone who has bought the systems in the last year(s) get mad or afraid of games unplayable with a 'older cpu'

Maybe thats not what you meant, but just saying.
They will still use the Cell it will just be a 65nm version.

Joe said:
Well the PS3 will be my first console that uses software emulation. So can someone tells me why its so bad?
Because a lot of the games won't work and a lot of them that do will have problems.

paintba||er said:

They will still use the Cell it will just be a 65nm version.

Because a lot of the games won't work and a lot of them that do will have problems.

ah, so just a smaller model. Itll probably end up like the Ps2 at the end of the gen :p

Joe said:

Limited support. Support for some titles will have to be added on a game-by-game basis, and if they don't choose to bring your favorite into the loop, you're just screwed.

I read more on the 65nm chip. Its smaller and uses less power. Which means less cost for the Ps3 and slightly cooler.

There are a lot of benefits with a cheaper processor that doesn't overheat as much. However, if the cheap is made too cheap it could actually be weaker than the original. Imagine games like MGS4 only working on the original PS3 processors, on the new weaker chip the game crashes at key scenes.

In Xeno Saga, when Namco made the game for the new PS2's. Anyone with an original PS2 like me can't play the game without it crashing. They never fixed the flaw. The only option for me is to buy a new PS2 or play Xeno Saga on another newer PS2.

Back