A Wii frustrating connection issue

AndySpry

WiiChat Member
Dec 28, 2007
I keep getting error 52231 when trying to connect to the internet.

I have a wireless network using a NetGear DG834Gv1 with firmware v3.01.25. My internet connection is good as I've been playing internet chess this morning! The Wii discovers the SSID and when testing the connection attaches to the router and is issued an IP address which I can ping. I have tried changing the wireless channel (1, 11, etc) and makes no difference, though I don't think this is the issue.

I use AOL Broadband which has worked fine for my home PC's. The router is setup to automatically logon. I have read that there may be an issue with AOL and the Wii user of that article changed their ISP. Although this seemed to fix their issue there is no specific detail that says Wii cannot work with AOL.

AOL recommends the MTU is set to 1450 which it is at the router. I have tried 0, 1450 and 1500 which Nintendo recommends for the Wii. Made no difference.

The router has a firewall but all outbound services are open.

I have looked about and so apologies if the resolution is known.

Thanks Andy.

same problem with me but then 1 day it started 2 work dont know how sorry coudn't be any help to u

Hi

Maybe you should assign a static IP to the wii or check the dns settings and make sure all are set to auto if you want to use DHCP. If you choose to use static you will need to set dns as well as you ip address. Sorry I havent written much of an explanation but should you need it i'm sure we can find a guide to setting up the wii for internet.

Alman Out!

Peace

I've tried a static IP address, but it didn't change the error! I figure that as the IP is auto allocated using the router as a DHCP server and that bit of it works, then the issue lies elsewhere...?

ok then its time to get systematic. I had lots of problems before I figured out how to make mine work. Does the wireless router provide internet for your PC using the wireless part. If so then the router works fine. As for the static ip settings. It can still work just make sure you set the dns to be the same as the routers ip addy. Be sure to set the ip range the router uses as well. I'm pretty crap at explaining things like this. But you will need to change all the settings to either auto or static. Do make sure of that.

Good luck there.

I wont be able to reply again till i get some some time tonite.

C ya

I've set up 2 connection settings on the Wii. One that uses Dynamic IP allocation giving error 52231 and one that uses static IP giving error 52230. For the static IP, I have set the Primary DNS as the router.

I have reset the MTU to 0 for both (the MTU setting has not affected the error number for either setup). I have turned on MAC filtering, reserved a specific IP address for the Wii. All of which works. The router recognises the Wii connection from the MAC address. So within the 'home network', the Wii seems to communicate with the router without any issue.

Its sending out or receiving from the internet that seems to be the problem but I'm at a loss as to what is causing that.

Could it be the firewall on the Netgear DC834G? This is set to open for all outbound traffic and blocks all inbound traffic. Standard setup for a basic firewall.

Could it be my ISP? I use AOL. It would be good to know whether there are Internet connected Wii's using AOL Broadband in the UK. I have read elsewhere that changing ISP from AOL fixed the problem for one user. Seems a drastic action without any real evidence that my ISP might be causing the issue!

Thanks for help!
Andy.

netgear dg834g

Hi
I had the same problem with connecting, I acessed the router on the computer and added the device to the trusted wireless stations list and it is working fine now. Easy fix and worth trying before going to change settings
hope this is helpfull

Claire

Back