About Decal Skins

ericlewis91 said:
keep the wii white...support apple!

True that. Power to the mac people.

I still haven't ordered my skin yet 'cause it seems like they are coming out with new ones every week. So I'm gonna wait until I see something I really like.

I've worked as a graphic artist in the sign industry for quite a few years and I can give you info on adhesive vinyl (which is what they print these decals on).

Going by they site they state their vinyl is channeled, this usually indicates the vinyl is of a high quality, such as 3m. Channeling gives air bubbles a route to escape when you apply the vinyl.

As for durability, most common vinyl is a 3 year vinyl, and this is for outdoor conditions (sun light, rain, etc). Most printable vinyl is 5 year vinyl. On a game console which you don't handle much it would last forever.

To give you an idea of how durable, I took a generic 3 year vinyl, cut out a detailed pattern on the plotter and applied it to a Thermal mug. It's been thru the dishwasher about 20 times now and the decal is still in place.

As for removal once you get a corner up you can peel them off, leaving little if any glue residue which can be easily removed with acetone (nail polish remover).

To get the longest life out of your vinyl proper installation is important, so make sure you clean the substrate of any dirt, grease, oil, dust etc. When you apply it start squeeging at one end and be sure to push out all air bubbles. Trapping air or creasing the vinyl not only looks bad, but it can cause it to lift up on a corner and peel off over time.

Hope this helps, note I am not affiliated with decalgirl in any way, and will not give any such advisement on purchasing from them, I'm only speaking for the technical aspect of the vinyl product.

i can't tell f*** apple or microsoft because i have to use both.
so God bless both companies.. as soon as i don't need a mac or a pc i can say f*** em ;)

VashPR said:
i can't tell f*** apple or microsoft because i have to use both.
so God bless both companies.. as soon as i don't need a mac or a pc i can say f*** em ;)

Just because you have to use them doesn't mean you can't hate on 'em. :)

But you've got the right attitude - dump 'em both, there's still "the L word"

I had one for my ps2, they peel right off. But you get tired of them after a while...

Xanthan said:
*INSERT LONG INCREDIBLE POST HERE*

By far, the BEST and most informative post I have seen on this forum so far. Heck, in many a forum I have gone to. *round of applause* Simply amazing, I know more about vinyl now then I ever thought possible, thank you very much sir :D

-SpideyKonfusion ;)

wow. It seems like we have an "inside man" for every topic anyone ever posts. Question about networking? we have network admins. Question about decals? we have a freakin' graphic design guy here!

Thanks for the info Xanthan. It's good to know those skins will last a while.

Back