Added characters to brawl+

yea they shouldnt hav taken him out

My only guess why they did is because they felt as though they had too many Pokemon. But no, they shouldn't have.

vBrawl is whatever you make of it. If you're just in it for winning, then by all means abuse MK. There's a lot of us who find it fun to use other characters even if we lose, at the least we're enjoying the game.
And like I said, I have no beef with Brawl+. I just see it as something almost completely different and thus refrain from saying one is better than the other. Also, slipping does suck, although it doesn't happen enough to me for me to see it as killing vBrawl.
Oh, and have you heard of Balanced Brawl? you might be interested in checking that out as well, since it is meant to completely balancing the game without changing the mechanics, that way you don't have to learn your characters all over again.

I like both of them. The only bad thing about vBrawl (other than the slipping) is the fact that you can air dodge right when you get hit to survive KOs. I find it cheap, but I still do it.
Brawl+ is just something fun I do.

Balanced Brawl doesn't look that good IMO.It adds a lot of unnecessary stuff, and forgot to make Captain Falcon better (they upgraded his f-tilt by 2% damage).

My only guess why they did is because they felt as though they had too many Pokemon. But no, they shouldn't have.

I think it was a matter of analyzing which characters would draw in more fans to buy the game. Most people who grew up with pokemon in the 90s knew about Jiggly, Pikachu, and Mewtwo, because of the series and the first movie. Pichu was added as cute representative of the second generation pokemon, and also as a lazy slot since they only had to clone Pika.
Brawl had to appeal to the pokemon fans who probably did not grow up watching pokemon on tv. So Pokemon Trainer was included due to his popularity from the game instead of the series, which is why he has the Leaf green/Fire red appearance. As for Lucario, he is fourth generation and is recognizable by new pokemon fans as he was pretty much the coolest new pokemon they came up with, and got his own movie (just like Mewtwo) before Diamond and Pearl even came out.
Lastly, Mewtwo was low tier in the last game, so the developers probably realized that not a lot of people would complain if he was conveniently left out.
And yes, too many pokemon. They probably left out toon zelda/tetra as well because it would mean too many zelda characters.

Mewtwo was hard as poo to be. However, I Meteor Smashed a Pichu who was using Quick Attack to end the game with him. It was funny stuff.

But FR/LG had Mewtwo in it, and no one cares for Jigglypuff anymore. Could it just be that Jiggly was an original Smasher?

Yea, Jiggly was an original smasher, and she also rose through the tiers in Melee, almost broken in a way.
And I guess Mewtwo wasn´t as huge in FR/LG as he was in BRY. For BRY, us kids discussed how to catch legendary pokemon at school, it was quite a phenomenon. That made Mewtwo SO much more badass and popular in those times.

I loved in Melee comboing with Dtilt and Dthrow, then when they were at 80% or more, Uthrow for the win. Mewtwo was so cool, not to mention the evil laugh.

edit: GC, you seriously think Roy looks less "gay" than Marth? I had friends who actually argued both of them were women. What you guys have to realize is that they're in their teens, so feminine features are because in their games they're pretty much kids.
Secondly, Marth was a god in Melee, Roy was barely usable.
Lastly, gay means happy. It is NOT an insult, so refrain from treating it as an insult. Seriously...

Last edited:
Yea, Jiggly was an original smasher, and she also rose through the tiers in Melee, almost broken in a way.
And I guess Mewtwo wasn´t as huge in FR/LG as he was in BRY. For BRY, us kids discussed how to catch legendary pokemon at school, it was quite a phenomenon. That made Mewtwo SO much more badass and popular in those times.

I loved in Melee comboing with Dtilt and Dthrow, then when they were at 80% or more, Uthrow for the win.

Jiggly was only good in Melee because she was like the only one with an aerial game. I use her in Melee. Her and Marth are my mains.

Although Marth and Roy are THAT similar, my Marth was like 5x better than my Roy.

I loved in Melee comboing with Dtilt and Dthrow, then when they were at 80% or more, Uthrow for the win. Mewtwo was so cool, not to mention the evil laugh.

edit: GC, you seriously think Roy looks less "gay" than Marth? I had friends who actually argued both of them were women. What you guys have to realize is that they're in their teens, so feminine features are because in their games they're pretty much kids.
Secondly, Marth was a god in Melee, Roy was barely usable.
Lastly, gay means happy. It is NOT an insult, so refrain from treating it as an insult. Seriously...

Have you seen their fighting stance? Have you seen their hairstyles?
Your friends thought that they were females?

These are the type of things that make me wish that my Melee worked. My cousin gave it to me last week and it didn't work *sigh*

Jiggly was only good in Melee because she was like the only one with an aerial game. I use her in Melee. Her and Marth are my mains.

Although Marth and Roy are THAT similar, my Marth was like 5x better than my Roy.

Haha, yea, jiggly was a beast in the air, not to mention how good rest was in Melee.
Actually, I had the same exact mains :thumbsup:

Have you seen their fighting stance? Have you seen their hairstyles?

What about their fighting stance? seems pretty graceful to me.
Also, keep in mind that what looks "gay" is pretty much determined by time and culture. Japanese men are more open to facial cremes, hair salons, and dressing styles that to you would probably be gay. Please be more open-minded about cultural differences.

Haha, yea, jiggly was a beast in the air, not to mention how good rest was in Melee.
Actually, I had the same exact mains :thumbsup:

What about their fighting stance? seems pretty graceful to me.
Also, keep in mind that what looks "gay" is pretty much determined by time and culture. Japanese men are more open to facial cremes, hair salons, and dressing styles that to you would probably be gay. Please be more open-minded about cultural differences.

Ok... but what does any of that have to do with a videogame :eek:ut:

Ok... but what does any of that have to do with a videogame :eek:ut:

Marth and Roy were based on men in that time, so they would use all that (the hair salon, make up, etc.) It's not that they are based on today, but rather based on a time when men used "gay" stuff.

Marth and Roy were based on men in that time, so they would use all that (the hair salon, make up, etc.) It's not that they are based on today, but rather based on a time when men used "gay" stuff.

Really? The game came out in 2001.

This is all off topic.

vBrawl is whatever you make of it. If you're just in it for winning, then by all means abuse MK.
I've never never liked MK, I never use him unless I get it on random.
There's a lot of us who find it fun to use other characters even if we lose, at the least we're enjoying the game.
I enjoy Brawl so much winning is not always #1 on my priority list, I main the random selection. I hate playing the same character twice or more in a row.

It's just VB seems unbalanced to me.

Oh and about balanced brawl, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=239604

Also I don't care if discussions get off topic.

Last edited:
anax4aero said:
Ok...your argument completely makes no sense. Like RockerJ says, they both debuted in the same game. Also, some further reasoning as to how Roy is the clone:
- You unlock Roy by clearing the game with Marth.
- All the clones in Melee have the same placement next to their original counterparts, and if you use C-stick you can see that difference more clearly.
- Marth was back then the major representative of Fire Emblem. Roy was literally a commercial to sell his game in Japan. Which is further reason why Ike pretty much replaced him.

No one here ever said Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo. I do not know why you mention that. Actually, I'd take Mewtwo over Pichu, Roy, Dr. Mario and Young Link any day. His throws were fantastic stuff, loved using him.

sorry for a late response, i haven't been on as much.

now my arguement would make no sensw, by a Smash point of view. however in FE, Roy had a powerful flame move, a flaming uppercut slash, a multihit sword attack and a counter. in FE, Marth had an extremely fast uppercut slash, a counter and other moves which he doesn't get in either smash. now does my arguement make sense? by FE standards, Marth was the Roy clone. you're right, at the time Marth was pretty much the FE poster child but in smash he became a Roy clone. They both had dozens of ways to be completely different, yet they made Marth a Roy clone in Melee. Roy was taken out because Sakurai didn't want clones. if he didn't want clones then he should've taken out Marth.

and i mentioned Mew2 because of all the clone arguements about him and Lucario when, like RockerJ pointed out, the only similar move is Neutral B and even those are quite different.

sorry for a late response, i haven't been on as much.

now my arguement would make no sensw, by a Smash point of view. however in FE, Roy had a powerful flame move, a flaming uppercut slash, a multihit sword attack and a counter. in FE, Marth had an extremely fast uppercut slash, a counter and other moves which he doesn't get in either smash. now does my arguement make sense? by FE standards, Marth was the Roy clone. you're right, at the time Marth was pretty much the FE poster child but in smash he became a Roy clone. They both had dozens of ways to be completely different, yet they made Marth a Roy clone in Melee. Roy was taken out because Sakurai didn't want clones. if he didn't want clones then he should've taken out Marth.

and i mentioned Mew2 because of all the clone arguements about him and Lucario when, like RockerJ pointed out, the only similar move is Neutral B and even those are quite different.

Just a few things I need to say:

1. I think what Anax said about Marth being the main one would have been a bigger hit in Japan, just like Lucario w/Mewtwo.
2. Did either of him have their Neutral B in a game? My FE knowledge is 0.

Back