An observation about Wii players

thendis

WiiChat Member
Dec 13, 2006
This is something I have noticed, and I"m interested if others are finding the same thing.

So Nintendo said the Wii would appeal to everyone, not just male, hardcore gamers. And when I got my Wii, it appeared to be true. My parents were getting into it, and -- most importantly -- my two sisters. My sisters, like many girls, have just never been interested in video games, so I was astonished how much they enjoyed Wii sports.

So nintendo was right? well, I thought so, but I'm noticing things going right back to normal, with me and my male friends the only ones left holding the Wiimote.

You see, while the Wii is great at attracting girls to the system, it would seem that holding their attention is an entirely different story. Now I dont want o generalise here, and I certainly dont want to come off sexist. there are plenty of exceptions to this I"m sure, but it seems to be from my own experience, that girls see Wii games as an experience that is enjoyable, but once they have had that experience once or twice, it has been done, and they feel no need to come back. After 3 Wii Sports sessions of only around 30-40mins each my sisters are completely over the game.

So my point is that whlie the Wii has broken the stigma accociated with video game consoles, there is a fundamental difference between how a gamer sees a console to how a non-gamer sees it. From my own experience, girls see the Wii as an exerience much like going to disneyland or dining at an expensive restaurant -- something they want to try, but not something they would do more than a handful of times.

What do others think about my theory?

i think its your own personal experience. In my case both my mother and mother-in-law, as well as my wife and sister-in-law love the Wii and are always wanting to pick it up and play when they're around.

That is when they can get a chance, because I'm playing Zelda right now and it's taking up all the time. But people around here's interest in the Wii has definitely been held.

In my experience, the females I know, have never been able to hold attention on to a game for anything more than 40 minutes, also another little thing, is that if i'm in a certain mood i'll play a certain game, [like if i'm tired, i'll play some long rpg, if i'm wide awake i'll probably play some shooter etc] however the females I know, have to be in a mood to play games at all, they collectively see all games as one thing and don't really understand their are different genres. Of course this is all very general, as I don't know any proper girl gamers.

My sis loves the Nintendo Wii, first time ever she has played a console for over an hour unlike the PS2 (****-console) which she got bored of 15 mins later

well my brother got bored of the wii after one game of bowling. and he played the ps2 all the time. but then again, he only played games with franchise modes. it all depends on the person.

My sis says that she hates the PS2 and the sony fridge, errm sorry PS3 :lol:
because it isn't fun cos you can't move around but hey she is even playing the wii now

I think it all depends on the person. I'm a girl, and i love my Wii. I love and have every system nintendo has out. But maybe thats just because i was born in the 80's. Anyone can be a gamer, it just depends on your personality.

My 6 year-old sister plays tennis with me. That is what steered me towards the Wii, how simple it is to pick-up and learn.

About your incident, getting bored with a game is typical, I'm sure they'll pick it uo again sooner or later.

Im going to agree with the OP. When my female friends first visited the wii, they were very excited and played the games. After going through all the games, it wasn't impressive anymore to them. They weren't even interested in most of the games except for Wii Sports and Wii Play. I also hate to sound sexist too, but geez...I have, wiiSports, wiiPlay, Red Steel, LOZ:TP, Excite Truck, DBZ, and Call of Duty. Of course I understand its just from my personal experience as well.

Back