Any experience with Linksys WAP54G? (wireless access point)

TurboJeff: Thank you, very very much, it's been so hard to find someone who has it. Are you happy with your choice of wireless access point in general? I'm thinking speed, dropouts, signal strength etc, whatever, as I interpret it, it works fine with Wii either way! GREAT! you don't have to run it in B mode or anything like that? works fine in G? Funny thing - I'm in the very same situation as you as I also just want to add wireless capacity to my exisiting wired network.

HEHE With access points all you need to worry about really is the quality of the product. People have many different outlooks on different brands due to past expirences or just word of mouth.

My suggestion personally would be to do your own research and find what suits you the best. Linksys is a very big name in networking due to Cisco being part of that deal. Netgear is pretty basic networking and more likely to be affordable no problems with mine yet. D-Link, well, not sure what to say about D-Link other than it's hit or miss.

Do keep in mind though that Wireless signals no matter what the brand can drop out if there is interference such as a wireless phone being operated (phone and router operating at 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz) Also Microwaves, refridgerators, power lines, and believe it or not pine trees.

P.S. The Wii has a built-in Mitsumi DWM-W004 WiFi 802.11b/g wireless module which means b or g is supported so don't worry too much about your router operating off of b or g.

Last edited:
pluto2 said:
TurboJeff: Thank you, very very much, it's been so hard to find someone who has it. Are you happy with your choice of wireless access point in general? I'm thinking speed, dropouts, signal strength etc, whatever, as I interpret it, it works fine with Wii either way! GREAT! you don't have to run it in B mode or anything like that? works fine in G? Funny thing - I'm in the very same situation as you as I also just want to add wireless capacity to my exisiting wired network.

Hi pluto2,

I am very happy with the choice I made in using the Linksys WAP54G. I do run it in mixed mode. The Wii has no trouble connecting that way. The signal strength, etc. has not been an issue for me, since the WAP is actually in the same room as the Wii in my case. It was a good choice for me. I've always liked the Linksys products.

TurboJeff: Thank you very much, this helps me alot in picking out a WAP.

I as well have the WAP54G and it works fine...great actually, I get signal 2 floors up from where my AP is and where I get low signal with my lappy. I had the common problem at first where it would not connect to the store. just try a connection test first then try to connect to the shop channel. first thing I'd do with a linksys tho, is change the channel to 1, cause I think default is 6 and that's where my problem was coming from.

Hi guys.

I experienced problems in the beginning with my Linksys Router.. But when i changed the broadcast channel to channel 11 it started working..

So now everything works:)

yeah changing the broadcast channel to either 1 or 11 is the fix (for most issues).

Good to know, thanks for the information :p

ch 6 is set by default I usually switch mine to 11 and no problems even when i use my home phone :]

Back