Are there different versions of Wii console?

CkDedmon

WiiChat Member
Jan 9, 2008
I thought I heard that recently the Wii console had some minor updates...maybe with the controller, or what was included with the console.

If I buy a console from a 2nd party (eBay, Craigslist, etc.), is there anything I need to look for to make sure I have the console I want? I will be looking for a console still in its original packaging, but without a receipt, I won't necessarily know how old it is.

Thanks in advance!

The older versions gets the red ring of death. Just ask if it's the Bluray version or the HD DVD version.

To my knowledge, the Wii doesn't play DVDs...that was one of the major complaints.

Has that changed?

CkDedmon said:
To my knowledge, the Wii doesn't play DVDs...that was one of the major complaints.

Has that changed?

yeah, i converted mine so instead of just playing Blu Ray it also plays HD DVD now.

edit: i don't feel like messing with you to the point that you think i'm serious so i'll be honest. No wii(without modification) plays DVDs right now, rumor is that one day, maybe there will be one that does. Aside from the wiimote "jacket"(silicon cover) i don't believe they're at all different, and even if you get a wii that doesn't come with the "jacket" you can order them on nintendo.com for free when you register your jacketless wii.

Last edited:
Thanks. Fortunately, I've educated myself enough to know when my leg is getting pulled!

Back