Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Artificial Shortage of Wii Systems

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Chat' started by wstylz, Nov 22, 2006.

1. wstylz

wstylz WiiChat Member

Best Buy in Chicago here has about 600-1000 systems in their stores right now as I suspect that the other major retailers do as well. I have confirmed this with
    the stores. They are only selling them on sundays until their inventory runs out due to a contract with nintendo that says they can't sell them on any other day because they want to keep hyping it every week and bring more people into the stores to check availability so that those who can get a system kiss their feet and those who can't eventually get fed up and buy playstation 2's and XBOX's. Even though I had $300 cash in my hand and the store had the system, they refused to sell it to me and told me I would have to wait in line on Sunday like everyone else. Imagine that, a store that thinks it is so big, it can tell me when to spend my money. It's OK though, I have enough time on my hands to post this on every major bulletin board in the country so I will make it my personal mission to do so. Toys R Us is doing the same thing as the other stores are as well.

2. Shadowpunk

Shadowpunk WiiChat Member

:sick: Those ****ers!!!! well does this mean theyre not selling any on black Friday???

3. sdsgreatest

sdsgreatest WiiChat Member

YES they are selling them on BLACK FRIDAY ACROSS THE U.S and that is confirmed.

4. Shadowpunk

Ok thanks a lot!!!:yesnod:

5. sdsgreatest

sdsgreatest WiiChat Member

no problem!.. just be there early enough to get one.:yesnod:

6. wstylz

wstylz WiiChat Member

It is still BS what they are doing

If they are and there are plenty of units, it still seems really stupid. They have the systems and should put them up. So what if they sell them all before black friday. Why would they tell me to come in Sunday then if they want to do a lot of business on Friday, to psychologically trick me into buying it on Friday when their flyer comes out and says they have it - surprise!!! . I hope a riot erupts in their stores and that the executives are on hand and in the thick of it. I for one, don't care if they have the unit in stock, I will not set foot in that store again and will buy my TV from costco which is much cheaper anyway.

7. Shadowpunk

yea ill see if my brother goes with me although i doubt it ill probrably go with his friend hes the one lending me money to buy the console (hes a nintendo fanboy) personally i really dont kare as long as i get the system o yea and ima pay him back by january as ima get a weekend job then :thumbsup: then ill still have money to buy games and accesories etc

8. Scream

Scream President of NO MA'AM

Wii Friend Code: 0169-9501-5816-7969
    0169-9501-5816-7969
    I curse Black Friday. There is going to be such madness. Not only from gamers but from all the other crazies trying to get all the other shxt. I really hate the fact that they are purposely holding them until this day.

9. thatstobadd56

thatstobadd56 Player Hater

Wii Friend Code: 0415-6074-8999-8552
    0415-6074-8999-8552
    I preordered a Wii for the second shipment of Wii's at gamecrazy, in Washington State, said they will have some on Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) so i would suggest to call your gamecrazy and ask them about a preorder list and if they say they dont have one ask for a waiting list....i called and my gamecrazy store was VERYhelpful, but u will have to go to the gamecrazy to sign your name on the list..CAN't WAIT TILL FRIDAY!!

10. phatboix91

phatboix91 WiiChat Member

anybody know what time best buy's open on black friday?
    or is it a decision based on the management for each individual store?

11. wstylz

wstylz WiiChat Member

5 AM in the morning. It says this on their website.
    Now those asses are making me stay up all night just to get a Wii

12. wstylz

wstylz WiiChat Member

If they have systems on Friday, after they told me that they wouldn't until Sunday and they sell out, I'm going Rainbow Six on them.

13. jus.

jus. WiiChat Member

that really kind of sounds like it's not true.

then again, it would be a good way of keeping people going out to the stores for them and not seem like they botched the holiday launch by running out of systems in november. They have stated that they did not expect to even come close to selling out on launch day and that you'd be able to find one just about anywhere.

14. wstylz

wstylz WiiChat Member

It is 100% True - Fact.

I also have a friend who is doing temp work for toys r us and says they are doing the same thing. I don't know who is calling the shots on this but it is 100% pure unquestionable fact. If you don't believe me, call up the Chicago best buy stores on North avenue or Clark St.

It does sound like it could be BS though because who in their right minds would think that a company could do this. I do agree that it could be a way of covering up a lack of units on hand but still - what country do we live in?

15. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Certified Public Asshole

Wii Friend Code: 1130-2954-1680-3052
    1130-2954-1680-3052
    I think the guy that told you that was messing with you, as I do have buddies (I am from Chicago) that work at Best Buy and Circuit City. They've told me that they don't have any shipments at their store, as well as my store (Gamecrazy) not having any shipments until around the time (before) Christmas, as our memo had said. They're probably trying to start a rumor to get you all hyped up, but in the end, you'll just be another angry customer.

16. BrandonMcAuslan

BrandonMcAuslan Special Olympics Medalist

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    It's not an artificail shortage - its actually ensuring that the stores do have the product in store...
    Put it this way. A lot of stores will tell people "We will have wii's in stock on friday"
    So what happens if they get them in on thursday - sell out on thursday - and then someone comes in friday to pick up a wii that they were told would be in stock? Its just the stores covering their asses in case any angry mob of people turn up on friday and there isn't enough wii's left...
    Also its to prevent the hassle of having to phone all their customers and tell them that the wii's have just arrived. or having people phoning all the time to find out if the wii's are in yet.
    In short its to ensure better customer service - weird as that sounds to anyone who's dying to get their hands on a wii :wink:

17. Lance1961

Lance1961 WiiChat Member

Conspiracy Fits

I had not heard of this Sunday funneling cabbage patch type false shortages...until my son and I spent the day out looking in vain for a WII system.....of course we didn't find one, but the stock person at the Best Buy told us to come back "Sunday".

My favorite is when you ask at Game Spot or EB Games and they look at you like you're insane, even though their doors have signs saying "We have WII"....but at Best Buy we were told to come back "Sunday"

I was :yikes: shocked:yikes: to find this forum thread upon returning home, checking on the web to see if in fact we were being cabbage patched yet again:nono:

18. Guru

Guru WiiChat Member

wanna bet.

and as far as this holding out goes...i am a little skeptical myself. it doesn't seem like a sound business decision.

19. thatstobadd56

0415-6074-8999-8552
    last night gamecrazy said they were opening at 10 am because i called them..today i got there at 8:30 and the doors were already open at eight, by the time i got there they were all sold out..and i was eight on the waiting list to get one they said there shipment will be about 1 week away..employees at gamecrazy are officially GAY!

20. thatstobadd56

0415-6074-8999-8552
    the reason there holding out until Black Friday (today) is to make sure they have some for the big day