Artificial Shortage of Wii Systems

It's not an artificail shortage - its actually ensuring that the stores do have the product in store...
Put it this way. A lot of stores will tell people "We will have wii's in stock on friday"
So what happens if they get them in on thursday - sell out on thursday - and then someone comes in friday to pick up a wii that they were told would be in stock? Its just the stores covering their asses in case any angry mob of people turn up on friday and there isn't enough wii's left...
Also its to prevent the hassle of having to phone all their customers and tell them that the wii's have just arrived. or having people phoning all the time to find out if the wii's are in yet.
In short its to ensure better customer service - weird as that sounds to anyone who's dying to get their hands on a wii :wink:

Conspiracy Fits

I had not heard of this Sunday funneling cabbage patch type false shortages...until my son and I spent the day out looking in vain for a WII system.....of course we didn't find one, but the stock person at the Best Buy told us to come back "Sunday".

My favorite is when you ask at Game Spot or EB Games and they look at you like you're insane, even though their doors have signs saying "We have WII"....but at Best Buy we were told to come back "Sunday"

I was :yikes: shocked:yikes: to find this forum thread upon returning home, checking on the web to see if in fact we were being cabbage patched yet again:nono:

sdsgreatest said:
YES they are selling them on BLACK FRIDAY ACROSS THE U.S and that is confirmed.

wanna bet.

and as far as this holding out goes...i am a little skeptical myself. it doesn't seem like a sound business decision.

last night gamecrazy said they were opening at 10 am because i called them..today i got there at 8:30 and the doors were already open at eight, by the time i got there they were all sold out..and i was eight on the waiting list to get one they said there shipment will be about 1 week away..employees at gamecrazy are officially GAY!

Guru said:
wanna bet.

and as far as this holding out goes...i am a little skeptical myself. it doesn't seem like a sound business decision.

the reason there holding out until Black Friday (today) is to make sure they have some for the big day

thatstobadd56 said:
the reason there holding out until Black Friday (today) is to make sure they have some for the big day

they didn't sell any today. from what this guy is saying the "big day" is sunday. but i am not seeing the logic in that. they could have easily moved a ton of them today, without putting any on sale. i guess i just don't buy into the notion that it benefits them to hol dout.

I know the regional Walmart distribution center (i.e. warehouse) had 17 palets of Wiis waiting for this weekend. I don't know how many stores were getting those, or exactly when, but I know they had them on launch day and sat on them until now.

wstylz said:
Best Buy in Chicago here has about 600-1000 systems in their stores right now as I suspect that the other major retailers do as well. I have confirmed this with
the stores. They are only selling them on sundays until their inventory runs out due to a contract with nintendo that says they can't sell them on any other day because they want to keep hyping it every week and bring more people into the stores to check availability so that those who can get a system kiss their feet and those who can't eventually get fed up and buy playstation 2's and XBOX's. Even though I had $300 cash in my hand and the store had the system, they refused to sell it to me and told me I would have to wait in line on Sunday like everyone else. Imagine that, a store that thinks it is so big, it can tell me when to spend my money. It's OK though, I have enough time on my hands to post this on every major bulletin board in the country so I will make it my personal mission to do so. Toys R Us is doing the same thing as the other stores are as well.
No one cares, really. You're not going to make any difference in the amount of people that shop at Best Buy or any other retailer. When you run a business, you make decisions on what is best for the company. Which makes perfect sense as to why Wiis are being held until Sundays: ads always serve one purpose and that is to get people inside the store. If Wiis were just thrown out on a shelf the second they arrived, the stores wouldn't be able to use them in the ad to bring people in. Also, when one person finds the Wiis on the shelves, they will call their friends, who will call their friends. What if you don't have a friend of a friend of a friend who noticed the Wiis were in stock? You should be glad that stores are holding consoles until Sundays, it gives everyone a fair chance of getting one. Not only that, but what makes you so special that you can demand to be sold a console, just because a store has a few in the back? If you don't like it, boycott the retail stores and pay $400 for it on eBay.

Last edited:
wstylz said:
Best Buy in Chicago here has about 600-1000 systems in their stores right now as I suspect that the other major retailers do as well. I have confirmed this with
the stores. They are only selling them on sundays until their inventory runs out due to a contract with nintendo that says they can't sell them on any other day because they want to keep hyping it every week and bring more people into the stores to check availability so that those who can get a system kiss their feet and those who can't eventually get fed up and buy playstation 2's and XBOX's. Even though I had $300 cash in my hand and the store had the system, they refused to sell it to me and told me I would have to wait in line on Sunday like everyone else. Imagine that, a store that thinks it is so big, it can tell me when to spend my money. It's OK though, I have enough time on my hands to post this on every major bulletin board in the country so I will make it my personal mission to do so. Toys R Us is doing the same thing as the other stores are as well.

I got my Wii today (11-26-06;sunday ;) ) I was talking to a person who said the wii's had came in three days before hand. I believe you are right when they are trying to add a catalyst to the already burning fire

This shortage is driving me up the wall. If Nintendo put online on Amazon, they would sell out. They seem to forget that angering customers could drive them to buy other consoles. I was able to preorder a Nintendo 64, and Gamecube without serious problems. I could have bought the Walmart bundle. Walmart is not only evil, they are also stupid. There were 4 kids animation games, and 4 general games. I am not paying $200 for kids animation. The parents won't buy the general games for little kids. What morons!! That bundle was actually available for several hours.

Nintendo, get those consoles online on CyberMonday!! Those of use who
didn't join with the Shopping Zombies on Black Friday are ready to buy.
As to the people who sell the consoles for 3 times their retail value, I suggest you use your console to perform a rectal exam!!!

It's time to put the customers first. It's our money, so consumers rule!!

Back