Ashamed of Wii sports Tennis

I enjoy the tennis game more than the other sports.
Being an actual tennis player, it does bug me that the system won't pick on the type of spin i am attempting or the direction of the shot based on how i hold the Wiimote / follow through the shot - I guess that is too complicated for now.

Or if it was omitted to keep the game simple, maybe just add an option to play in normal vs. advanced mode.

nayway, here's hoping that it may be included in a future tennis game...

I think developers are still learning how to take advantage of the motion technology, personally I predict as time goes on the games will get better. You can't exactly just jump into a new technology in the console market and be all godly at it right away.

The president of the company that made Red Steel said that Red Steel was a 'real eye opener for them' take it anyway you want but personally I think he is referring to all the bad reviews, and they are taking it as a learning experience.

WiiSports to me sounds (from the synopsis, not the reviews) kinda mundane and boring. But that's only because I've not played it yet. Undoubtably many people were thinking the same thing before they actually played it. And undoubtably I'll love it as much as they do when I do play it.

WiiTennis is actually pretty good imo. It's obviously a basic version of a tennis game that they are capable of making, but it's good enough to keep me playing it.

You can get pretty skilled at it if you practice, and get some pretty good matches with people. The AI is a little weak when you get decent at it though. Even the 2000 level computer players can't really handle you too well once you learn how to angle your shots right.

Expect a Mario Tennis game that takes this basic game and makes something truly fantastic. I know i'm hoping for one (crosses fingers for online battles).

Ashamed?

I think that may not be the word your looking for.

(as far as Im aware) you didn't create Wii Tennis so you can't really be ashamed of it. Or are you ashamed of what you have to show your friends? (ashamed could work in that sense)

I believe you mean you are disappointed in Wii Tennis.

And you got it free....why complain?

intomwetrust said:
Tennis, then golf

except golf pisses me off sometimes. i'm doing good and im all happy. then i mess up and curse. stop caring and just get pissed off. Which reminds me of what happens when i actually play golf.

Golf is an incredibly frustrating sport, but it feels great when you are playing well :)

I think Tennis is a lot more complex than people think. It is very possible to put all sorts of winning spin on the ball.

Have you seen high level computer players put complete backspin or sidespin on the ball?

Today was the first time I played the wii, so far Ive just played tennis, bowling and boxing

P.S: I totally loved tennis!

Bowling is the best, then Tennis, but Golf can be amazingly fun at times, Boxing is the only one i cant really get into.

What would be great is if you can actually control the movement of the player with the nunchuck and then swing away with the wii-mote.

For this set of sporting games, I believe it's Nintendo intent to show the masses what it's capable of and how enjoyable and easy to pick up for the entire family. It is up to the other publishers of sporting games to enhance what Nintendo has started and deliver games with more advance movement and features.

Last edited:
Tennis is fun when we play it in 4 player mode, we get real into it and people get hit with remotes and such, but I think it is a blast.

Yuu said:
i'm disappointed with tennis cuz you can't actually control your guys. all you do is time your swing. it could've been so much more fun if you could control where your guys moved

they could use that idea in an ea sports tennis-only game with the the wiimote-nunchuk combo. but wii sports has other sports too, which makes the way they have it perfectly suitable.

-all games on wii sports are good but golf pisses me off alot!

Wii Sports is just a simple pack-in to demonstrate the new control method, to get people who wouldn't normally play video games to play them, & to whet the hardcore gamers appetite. And it succeeds very well at doing all 3 of those things.

Of course I wish I could control my player more also, but I'm sure we'll see a Virtua Tennis or Topspin for Wii, & I can't wait :)

Back