Attachment rates How much the Wii really does suck.

WiitnessID

WiiChat Member
Dec 6, 2007
Software attachment rates

Americas - 6.9
Europe - 5.6
Japan - 3.4

- Over 20 million Wiis sold worldwide

Americas - 8.8
Europe - 6.3
Japan - 4.9

- DS is just under 65 million units sold worldwide

- DS software sales

Americas - 20.18
Japan - 21.66
Europe - 22.94

- Lifetime sales of the Cube were just over 21 million

Yeah that sucks doesn't it!

Then I find this!
As part of a wide-ranging meeting with GameStop's management, Janco Partners' Mike Hickey discussed why the Wii and PS3's 5-game-per-console attach rate continues to lag the Xbox 360's 8.8, suggesting that Guitar Hero and a theorized Rock Band release for the Wii will increase high-margin sales for the retailer.

Hickey made the comments following a meeting with GameStop management, who he said, echoing Lazard's Colin Sebastian's earlier comments, "appear confident they can continue growth in a moderately difficult economic environment, similar to how they performed post 09/11/01, which was a period of economic and social unrest at about the same point in the console cycle."

Hickey goes on to note, though, that GameStop continues to expect that the Wii's attach rate will stay at its current levels, behind Xbox 360, and at the same level with the PS3 during 2007 -- which Hickey maintains is likely because of the amount of consumers purchasing the latter console specifically for its Blu-ray video capacity.

Despite that, though, GameStop says that the aforementioned music-based games, with higher retail prices by way of their hardware peripherals, "should provide large gross dollar contributions," and says Hickey, roughly 20 precent profit margins, "consistent with premium new game sales."

"Importantly," Hickey continues, "management believes they’re gaining market share with Nintendo products," and "consumer demand for the Wii console continues to surpass management expectations and is currently tracking PS2’s growth from the prior cycle."

"If Wii console sales continue to track PS2 sales from the prior cycle," he concludes, "Wii sales could total over 8 million in [2008] versus +6 million in [2007]," should supply increase, as well as third party software content.

It would seem people are not buying their games from game stop. The numbers don't gel, attachment rate of 5 then 6.9. The PS3 is said to have a 5 like the PS3 yet nintendo's own numbers are higher. Even game stop thinks PS3 owners aren't going to buy more games than the Wii -WOW-!

I made the title so the PS3 guys won't get offended. This is a current report also some thing nintendo gives out to it's current 3rd parties. This can only mean good things!

Also too the Wii is going to beat the GC life totals in almost one year -wow-!

Look at Americas support! WOW, will they catch the xbox 360 support in the USA? who knows. It seems like some body is gonna have to make a better fad next time around.

:shifty:

WiitnessID said:
Software attachment rates

Americas - 6.9
Europe - 5.6
Japan - 3.4

- Over 20 million Wiis sold worldwide

Americas - 8.8
Europe - 6.3
Japan - 4.9

I find this bit particularly interesting as Japan has always been a place that is more receptive of the games industry than anywhere else in my eyes, but from the looks of things it seems I was wrong.

Casual gamers are lowering the average for attach rate. I thought this would be obvious.

Interesting figures, but personally I don't believe the attach rate says anything about "sucking". "Sucking" usually refers to quality, not quantity.

It's the highest in america which is just weird but may be the DS is actually slowing sales over in japan?

Also Dreamweaver all of the systems except for the DS are struggling in japan with game sales...

Sucking line is just fan service... For a system that every one says is a fad and casuals don't buy games it's preforming really well.

Then I found this WOW!

IGN writes: “If you’re still under the impression that consumers are only buying Nintendo’s new console for Wii Sports, perhaps the latest software to hardware tie ratio numbers from the NPD Group will change your mind. According to the software data tracking service, consumers purchased 8.11 games for every Wii console sold in December. This relates to 7.76 games for every Xbox 360 sold during the month and 5.04 games for every PlayStation 3 purchased in the same time frame.”

While Microsoft would have you believe that attach rates (total number of games divided by total units sold) are mucho importante when determining popularity and game quality, these numbers even out over time, regardless of the total installed base. For example, here are the life-to-date tie-ratio of last-gen systems: PS2 = 11.31, Xbox = 10.87, and GameCube = 9.34. Here’s the installed base of each system: PS2 = 120 million, Xbox = 24 million, and GameCube = 22 million.

http://www.infendo.com/wii/see-i-told-you-attach-rates-dont-mean-jack/

Dreamweaver said:
I find this bit particularly interesting as Japan has always been a place that is more receptive of the games industry than anywhere else in my eyes, but from the looks of things it seems I was wrong.
i might be wrong here but nintendo isnt actually that big in japan. i know that sounds dumb, and it might be, but i think i heard that PS3 is really popular there, and xbox is not so much and nintendo is pretty popular as well but not as popular as ps3?

someone posted this info here at one point in time so it could very well be off.

No, the Wii outsells the PS3 almost every week about 2:1 to 4:1. I think the PS3 has only outsold the Wii in one week. But, that being said, recently the Japanese in general have not been buying console games. They do occasionally, but it seems that right now, they are hooked on handhelds.

Also keep in mind, Wii had the better software sales in the month of December, edging out the Ps3 and 360. So Wii's software isn't too bad I guess.

Wii Sports
Elebits
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Mario Strikers Charged
Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party
Mario Party 8
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Legend of Zelda: Twighlight Princess
Truama Center
Red Steel

Here you go SensesFail... the PS3 is crushing the PS2!

Japanese hardware sales - Jan 14th to 20th
January 24th, 2008

DS Lite 88,575
Wii 81,638 - you see that! Almost DS like those numbers are!
PSP 79,923
PS3 38,117
PS2 13,539
Xbox 360 4,552

It seems logical, my Wii is very new and I already have five games for it, and I am nowhere near the total of games I want for it. On the other hand with other consoles there weren't many games that inspired me, for the wii there are!

Dorkfish said:
Humz...nope

How many people here own more than six Wii games???
*Raises Hand*

In no particular order:

Zelda TP
Wiisports (Duh!)
Wiiplay
Red Steel
Tony Hawks Downhill Jam
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Warioware
Resident Evil 4
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Elebits
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
RE: Umbrella Chronicles
Ghost Squad
Zack and Wiki
Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Super Paper Mario
MySims
Link's Crossbow Training.

19 Wii games. (bearing in mind, I do like in the UK, home of the everlasting delay).

*Raises both hands and both feet up in the air* *Falls over*

When a console is early in its life it always sufffers from a low overall attach rate. The attach rate climbs to a much higher level later in the systems life, it also helps because there are more games out there too.

Back