Attachment rates How much the Wii really does suck.

Dreamweaver said:
I find this bit particularly interesting as Japan has always been a place that is more receptive of the games industry than anywhere else in my eyes, but from the looks of things it seems I was wrong.
Uh... thats cus its freaking tiny? 4.9 mil is alot for them.

largedarry said:
When a console is early in its life it always sufffers from a low overall attach rate. The attach rate climbs to a much higher level later in the systems life, it also helps because there are more games out there too.

Great philosophical insight from a guy whos avatar is a picture of a very philosophical man...

The Wii has a decent attach rate, even if it was only averaging 5 games per Wii thats still over 100,000,000 games sold in total compared to say 40,000,000 for the PS3. If you take the attach rate at the reported average of 8 for Wii then its selling more than 4 times the amount of games that PS3 is.

So basically theres much more chance of profit for a developer on the Wii as developing a game costs about a quarter of what it does on PS3 and it has a better chance at getting enough sales to make them money.

Just looking at the December software sales shows where the gamers money is going as it was dominated by 360 and Wii with the PS3 failing to get even 1 game in the top 10.

They just made sh!t. So in order to sell sh!t they need to convince you the sandwich is tasty, but the reality is it's still a sh!t sandwich. If Sony acted smart this year, then maybe. But they'd need to fire ALL (Like Take Two did) the people on top, and that's not happening. Nintendo has Miyamoto, and others. What does Sony have? Don't you dare say Phil Harrison. Seriously listen to that guy talk.

No comment on the 360, it's maintaining a healthy second place in sales.

sagema said:
They just made sh!t. So in order to sell sh!t they need to convince you the sandwich is tasty, but the reality is it's still a sh!t sandwich. If Sony acted smart this year, then maybe. But they'd need to fire ALL (Like Take Two did) the people on top, and that's not happening. Nintendo has Miyamoto, and others. What does Sony have? Don't you dare say Phil Harrison. Seriously listen to that guy talk.

No comment on the 360, it's maintaining a healthy second place in sales.

Huh? Over here on the Wii side, we've been served primarily **** sandwiches as well as far as software goes...

You are forgetting a lot of developers wrote the Wii as a failure before it launched in 2007. It takes years, not months to make a quality game. The Wii is here to stay and developers will jump on board more and more as time goes on.

If Sony and Microsoft could control their game budgets, then yes, they could get first place. But at $20 million a game!? They need to address their own issues. Right now there are way too many cooks in the kitchen, and half of them are outsourced cooks with poor standards. It shouldn't cost $20 million to make a game. You'd be amazed how many middle men get a chunk of that pie. I heard Lost Planet took $20 million to make and another $20 million went to ads. $20 million for ads?! WTF? So you're telling me in this new era the middle men deserve as much as the entire game team? Screw that, and screw them.

Back