Best game to utilitize wiimote so far?

jaguard

WiiChat Member
Jan 9, 2007
I wonder, is there any game, which is at least as fun to play with, as the original wii sports? No, i don't mean it has great graphics and such, but it really utilitizes wiimote pretty ok, for a "free" game.
But it seems that developers either too stupid or they just can't find a way to utilitize it better. Examples:

We have "the bigs", which is awful - you have to aim with a nunchack's analog pad. They call it baseball? They piss me off :(.

I had a big expectation of Pirates of Carribean - but they pissed me off again - it only has one wiimote move. Just like that - you move it somehow - doesn't matter how, but you character will always make the same swing combo. It also have a stupid guard mode, where you (or the AI) just block all the attacks.

Things like super money ball are not just fun enough - after a few levels it becomes really boring, and you don't want to play ANY "tilt-me" games anymore.

Next comes the Rayman Raving Rabbits. They are pretty fun at first, but its not realistic enough. For example, when you throw a cow, you just share the wiimote, and that's it. You don't need to follow the angle, just shake and that's it. Boring. I don't mention too many old flash games clones, made with a wiimote's pointer. Wiimote's pointer is NOT FUN. I have a mouse on my PC for about 20 years, I don't want another crappy mouse game on a shiny new nexgen console.

I really liked the Warioware - it is the best game after the wiisports to utilitize controls, really. But it has two important weaknesses. 1st, it is too simple, and secondly, the minigames are too short. Extremly, mindbogglingly short! Also, it took me 2 hours to complete the game.
It even has the minigame with a sword - the best one so far. One simple minigame better than this whole stupid Pirrates of Carribean game.

Another nice game is Mario&Sonic at the Olymic Games. Yes, pretty fun for a few days. But it has the same problem, as all other games - the controls are not deep enough. You just shake the wiimote and nunchuck, and that's about it. Or you just press the buttons shown. I really really liked the archery - it was awesome!, but all other minigames are mostly dull and repetetive.
What really pissed me off most is fencing - again only ONE move, and again it doesn't matter how exactly do you shake the wiimote - anything will do!

Or, I should also mention the Rockstar table tennis. It's a total pissoff. The way your character moves and strikes has nothing to do with a real movements of your wiimote. Another crappy idea - just swing the mote, doesn't matter how, the game will do the rest.
It could as well be a PC game, it would lose nothing without the wiimote!

So post your examples. Will there EVER be a game with a real fencing? At least give me 10 different moves, not just f%#ing ONE!

Wow, you're one very pissy person.

There's games that use the Wiimote and it turns into overkill, just because the wiimote is there to be thrown about and whatever doesn't mean that they should rise on every opportunity to do so. There are games such as Zelda which I had fun with because of the amount of times they used the controls, it was indeed quite simple, but it didn't make the game repetitive or tiring.

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games is one of the worst, in fact, the worst title I won for the Wii because of the amount you use the controls. First off, you think it's cool and pretty fun, but then after five minutes you just want to sit down and have a rest. They've tried way too much with the controls, it turned out to be quite fiddly in some parts and just lacks to the flow of the event, I suggest Athens 2004 for the PS2, it's a much better game without ANY motion sensing.

I disgaree with you with Rayman, I absolutely love both of those games, I think it's the only game that offers variety and depth with the controls. There's Wario Ware but that doesn't last very long, it's the same game time after time and very short lived. There are way more offers with Rayman, the french actually did something right.

Now, yeah, the tilting thing has got very awkward with Monkey Ball, my mum bought me this game and I wasn't very happy with her. The games I actually liked just involved pointing, I think they're trying too hard in the wrong areas. Of course, it's way too easily, it's clearly a childrens' game because of the way they have mutillated the poor monkeys. The Super Monkey Ball series was brilliant. but, neh, this game just fails so much.

Galaxy is a brilliant use of the controls, uses them only when needed and pulls them off excellently. So I'm expecting other titles like this. However, third party, I guess they're just a lost cause.

Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are the two games that best use the controls.

I would rant about some others, but Emma beat me to it :lol:

CantGetAWii said:
Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are the two games that best use the controls.

I would rant about some others, but Emma beat me to it :lol:

I haven't had a good moan lately.

Mario & Sonic @ the Olympig Games for me, It captures excelent hand and body movements with the Wii mote perfectly. It keeps the concept of real video gaming. Having fun. And ya also got a love MP3 Corruption, I like how Samus uses her hands to make technological functions on her ship and other cool switches. Its a perfect shooter for the Wii remote. Point, Click, Kill...

The new Medal of Honor really does control like a dream. It's absolutely amazing for that. The aiming is precise and as fast as you want it to be. The gesture system is actually very solid; pumping between shotgun blasts is actually cool thing that adds to realism instead of being an obnoxious addition.

Honestly, my geek out moments enjoy the latest Dragon Ball Z game. As foolish as I look, it is fun to motion a Kamehameha.

ok first off i like mario and sonic at the olympics but it is true it gets boring. the archery is the only thing that is original and not repetitive. every thing else is either drum roll or clap or spin. That is not trying real hard with the wiimote.

You have games like wii sports, Metroid, RE4, and mario galaxy use it exceptionaly well, exp galaxy where you are on the ball or the stingray race.
I have to say another game that did ok but is extreamly kiddy, and gets old fast is the Ea playground. The paper airplane is a great example of what motion sensing is about when done right, unfortunatly its real short and doesnt realy have depth.

Its alot of ways the wiimote can be used and done right but no one other than nintendo wants to take the time to do it.

I realy think its time for someone to be original and come up with a charector and a franchise that is specificaly made for the wiimote.

Last edited:
yungblood6 said:
ok first off i like mario and sonic at the olympics but it is true it gets boring. the archery is the only thing that is original and not repetitive. every thing else is either drum roll or clap or spin. That is not trying real hard with the wiimote.

You have games like wii sports, Metroid, RE4, and mario galaxy use it exceptionaly well, exp galaxy where you are on the ball or the stingray race.
I have to say another game that did ok but is extreamly kiddy, and gets old fast is the Ea playground. The paper airplane is a great example of what motion sensing is about when done right, unfortunatly its real short and doesnt realy have depth.

Its alot of ways the wiimote can be used and done right but no one other than nintendo wants to take the time to do it.

I realy think its time for someone to be original and come up with a charector and a franchise that is specificaly made for the wiimote.

EA did it pretty well with Medal Of Honor though.
But I agree to the most part, as its mostly the Nintendo made games that have the best controls.

Frogger
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games is one of the worst, in fact, the worst title I won for the Wii because of the amount you use the controls.

If you don't keep yourself exercised, you'll die from heart attack in your 40s.

To me, they don't use them enough. Well, I somehow feel occupied with the controls, but I don't feel like I'm doing something that requires skill.

I disgaree with you with Rayman, I absolutely love both of those games, I think it's the only game that offers variety and depth with the controls.
Actually, the game is pretty ok, but about 80%.. no, 90% of the minigames are something either not good enough (like the one where you close closet doors or fly to catch a pighead), or they are direct clones of other games I've already played on my PC someday.
I really liked the one where you hammer the rabbit. I wish it had more options, varieties, missions. I liked the musical stuff too, but there aren't enough songs - they are repeated all the time.

No, what I need is something that is controlled with lots of different and difficult movements, the game which need a lot of practice to make precise wiimote movements, with combos and stuff.. I didn't buy wii to play games I can play on my PC.

As for Godfather - I've tried it. Pretty fun at first, but the game itself is boring. And something I couldn't deal with - it doesn't allow the left-handed controls. So when I actually strike left hand, my character uses the right and vice versa. Not fun.

So I'll check the MoH. As for trauma center, I'm not very fond of slicing people. Might be a good game, but not for me.

jaguard said:
If you don't keep yourself exercised, you'll die from heart attack in your 40s.

To me, they don't use them enough. Well, I somehow feel occupied with the controls, but I don't feel like I'm doing something that requires skill.

Do you honestly believe that the Wii will keep you exercised with these repetitive controls? Everyone knows that playing the Wii so much won't keep you fit, you have to exercise other parts of your body to stay in shape, not just your arms.

Actually, the game is pretty ok, but about 80%.. no, 90% of the minigames are something either not good enough (like the one where you close closet doors or fly to catch a pighead), or they are direct clones of other games I've already played on my PC someday.
I really liked the one where you hammer the rabbit. I wish it had more options, varieties, missions. I liked the musical stuff too, but there aren't enough songs - they are repeated all the time.

I hated those minigames, I just thought they were boring, there weren't very many of them though. I don't think you should judge the entire minigame library on that game, obviously it was just used as a filler, but other than that I think that they used the whole thing to the full. Even though, the games where you had to listen to the pig squeal, that was boring, it just wasn't fun, but I suppose it was a nice feature to add.

No, what I need is something that is controlled with lots of different and difficult movements, the game which need a lot of practice to make precise wiimote movements, with combos and stuff.. I didn't buy wii to play games I can play on my PC.

Galaxy is by far the best game for the Wii, but it doesn't use the controls, it uses them when needed, and I think it is absolutely stunning.

Frogger said:
Do you honestly believe that the Wii will keep you exercised with these repetitive controls? Everyone knows that playing the Wii so much won't keep you fit, you have to exercise other parts of your body to stay in shape, not just your arms.

I'm gonna get wiifit to exercise the other parts :). As for exercising part, wii sports' boxing is very good at this. I wish it only 1) were harder., 2) properly recognized moves.
I also like the training mission where you have to punch the bag for 1 minute. Won the gold medal in this.

I hated those minigames, I just thought they were boring, there weren't very many of them though. I don't think you should judge the entire minigame library on that game, obviously it was just used as a filler, but other than that I think that they used the whole thing to the full. Even

So even if 90% of minigames are not good enough, I shouldn't judge the game? No way!

though, the games where you had to listen to the pig squeal, that was boring, it just wasn't fun, but I suppose it was a nice feature to add.
Actually, this one was pretty original. But it's totally broken - most time there's just no way to go.

Galaxy is by far the best game for the Wii, but it doesn't use the controls, it uses them when needed, and I think it is absolutely stunning.

No, it would have been stunning if it had real fencing with like 10 basic attacks, 5 defending moves, 20 combos and 20 types of weapon like swords, shields, net, trident, halberd, etc.
I've been waiting for game like this for a whole year, and still it hasn't been released. Not even announced as I'm aware.

I also want a real volleyball, tennis, table tennis, and many more sports games where you contol the game with the wiimote, not the game controls you.

Frogger said:

no, but it does raise your heart rate considerably, which is a good thing.

Back