Better graphics on CRT then HDTV (480i)

StevenNevets

WiiChat Member
Oct 22, 2006
So... when ever I play the Wii on a CRT TV the games look much nicer then on my 60"W HDTV

I'm not running 480p yet but still the CRT looks a good bit better...

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Just depends. For example let's say you have a Sony Bravia (which I have) and then you play it at your friends house and he has a LG it may not look as sharp because of the make and other various reasons. Some are TV adjustments, cables used (component, composite, S-Video, HDMI, etc.) and mainly the quality of the screen.

If you are not using component cables do so then you might want to check your TV settings. I notice if you use the Edge Enhance 2 (or whatever it's called. I'm not getting up that TV is in the other room) on WEGA TV's it is too much sometimes, so I set it to Edge Enhance 1. Yes, using the progressive scan is always better then interlaced. So set it to 480p as opposed to 480i.

I hoped this helped you out some.

Last edited:
Wii HD

You will need to get the Wii HD component cables for your HD LCD TV. I was at the Nintendo World store and you could see a big difference between the TVs that had the Wii set up using the standard Audio/Video cables vs. the component cables.

hey

I will quote something I posted in another thread.
yosh64 said:
BTW, as it's an LCD based monitor, I would be wary of the display quality. As I think LCD monitors arn't meant to have the best display quality when they arn't set at their native resolution, as they only emulate other resolutions, see Native resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Assuming your HDTV is LCD based, even if you do get Component cables, and run at 480p, it will still be displayed at 640x480, which I doubt would be your HDTV native resolution. So yea, I don't think the Nintendo Wii graphics will look the very best they can be on most LCD based displays ;).

Anyhows, I think if I was ever to get a new television, I'd look for a CRT based EDTV or HDTV.

cyas

Last edited:
Here it is
Sony KDF-E60A20 Specs. Projection TVs Specifications.

My point is not that it'll look better with componenet cables but that it looks a good bit worst now then a normal 15 year old TV
Doesn't that seem to be a problem>.<

Is there some settings I should try messing with?

BTW: TV is on "full" mode and the Wii is on 16:9

Well here's your problem:

If you change your TV to 16:9 it will put the Wii and TV in 16:9. This way the picture will not be stretched.

Check sharpness, brightness and over all clarity.

StevenNevets said:
Here it is
Sony KDF-E60A20 Specs. Projection TVs Specifications.

My point is not that it'll look better with componenet cables but that it looks a good bit worst now then a normal 15 year old TV
Doesn't that seem to be a problem>.<

Is there some settings I should try messing with?

BTW: TV is on "full" mode and the Wii is on 16:9

Last edited:
I plan on getting a 42" 720p LCD next year. A 42" one should cost $500 by next Christmas. A 1080 is pointless because most cable companies don't offer that resolution yet. The Wii will look great on that TV.

hey

@Wiiaretheworld: I think the Nintendo Wii would look better on a CRT based EDTV/HDTV, as for reasons I have already mentioned above.

cyas

To Yosh64: it does not. I have seen the Wii on a 40" HD LCD TV... it looks MUCH better than a CRT. You just have to know how to set it up properly.

Evi1d33d said:
CRT TV's are better at displaying non-native resolutions than LCD ones, that's probably why it looked better.

This is actually the right answer. CRTs are currently the only display technology that can natively display interlaced images. LCDs and others actually have to de-interlace the image and apply digital filters to recombine a 60 fps interlaced picture into a 30 fps 'progressive' image. This is mainly due to the afterglow of the phosphor in a CRT.

In a nutshell, if you have an LCD HDTV (or DLP or Plasma) you should invest in some component cables at the first opportunity.

@ Wiiaretheworld - first of all, I doubt you're comparing the 40" LCD HDTV to a 40" CRT HDTV. So, if the HDTV you're on upscales the image automatically - which it should because 480 lines on a 40" TV would look atrocious - then you're comparing an upscaled version on a larger screen to an unscaled version on a smaller screen. The spatial resolution on the LCD is going to beat that of the CRT, so you will notice a difference in picture.

Reference:

Interlace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Back