Help please? Wiimote SLOW to respond with new TV.

[DT], I think the RCA->component fix is attributed to the 480i->480p change, not the actual cables themselves. Something with scaling on the display....not exactly sure.

Yikes! CRT based monitors don't have some magical unlimited latency - there's still delay while a monitor draws an entire frame. 75Hz converts roughly into an 13.8ms latency (75Hz is an important number as it's the point where human beings start seeing a discernible difference).

I noticed this when I was at a friend's house who has HDTV that there was a noticeable lag. Since I couldn't find an option to compensate for that in the Wii options or the game, we just dealt with it. We were playing Cooking Mama, and that's frustrating to have such a lag.

Celeste said:
Okay I got that much, but the other end of the red blue and green cables go where? Like how do I connect them to the Wii?

You need the wii component cables. It has a special end to plug into where the other AV cables plugged in to. You cannot use standard component cables with the 5 plugs on each end.

Do a google search for wii component cables.

We went from the caveman crt box to a new LCD tv and had major latency issues. We bought the component cables and plugged directly into the back of the tv. We ended up replacing our Wii box as well when the kids broke the drive while it was unplugged so everything had to be synced anew. We went through the settings and set it to widescreen and we moved the resolution as well. I found the game mode button on the new tv remote and set that up. We noticed that the latency seemed a ton better! However, we pulled out our wii balance board and the latency was still there. Much smaller but still very, very obvious and very, very annoying. We tried moving the sensor bar from on top to the bottom of the tv to the side to away from the tv (and yes, we changed the sensor bar settings to match each time). Nothing helped. We also changed all the batteries and re-synced once again. We got it much, much closer and it is not as noticeable in most of the games, but that dang balance board is just not right :-( We have an Insignia LCD so if anyone has advice on that last fine tuning to get the balance board right, I would LOVE to hear it!! :)

BTW, this issue on top of loosing all our downloaded games because of Nintendo's policy of games id'd to the console unit instead of the owner is just about throwing me over the edge with Nintendo right now :-(

Update: We fixed it!!!!! So, we checked with the Insignia manufacturer. Somewhere along the way, someone had somehow moved the settings for the component menu on the tv itself. We went into the tv settings, found the component settings and reset them to factory. Voila! Instant success and our balance board works perfectly and ALL lag is gone. The other changes we made were key to success but we needed this last reset of the tv component settings for it all to come together.

Last edited:
Back