Brunswick Pro Bowling

Why get it?

Bowlers like me have been looking for a great bowling video game for a long time. It hasn't happened yet. Wii Sports bowling provided some encouraging signs. We had a motion-controlled swing, we had hook based on the angle of controller rotation, we had decent pin-action physics.

We did not, however, have changing lane conditions, different ball weights, different ball compositions. The only variable was the color of the ball.

Bowlers want as true a simulation as possible to what we see on ESPN on Sunday afternoons during the season. We want to deal with the same "chess match" that the pros deal with in choosing which ball to use, and trying to find the correct line to the pocket. In Wii Sports bowling, once you find a line to the pocket, it doesn't change. Not from shot to shot, not from game to game. That can get boring rather quickly.

The lane conditions variables would be a huge boost. There's a big difference between oil patterns on the average house lane and the oil patterns on ESPN telecasts; the latter allows much less room for error. That's why the average 180 house bowler would have a tough time shooting 140 with the pros. I'd like this aspect in a Wii game.

Sure, I know, it's bowling. But it's the same for everyone who asks why we need more accurate golf simulations, more accurate NASCAR simulations, etc.; participants in a certain activity would like to see games that best simulate that activity. It's that simple. Non-golfers won't see why Wii Sports golf needs to be improved. It's the same with non-bowlers and Wii Sports bowling.

The ideal bowling game would have true motion-accurate controls, variables in ball selection, variable lane conditions, and one key improvement that has even the casual Wii Sports gamer wanting more:

Online play.

I like the idea of an in depth bowling game, being able to play a career mode season type thing sounds like the bomb. Definitely planning on getting this game. It looks like it will be released at only $39.99.

Back