Building a custom Sensor Bar

savoirvivre said:
yea that looks pretty good. i was just wondering, what resistors did you buy? Where did you buy them? If you can help me out, its much appreciated.

do you have a part list ? or what is the part number for that box you have there.

I wish I knew what I used. I "think" it was a 46 Ohm. I work at a vocational school. We have some electrical engineering teachers here and they told me what I needed to use. I'll go ask them. The resistors where just some they had on hand. Actually they didn't have 46 Ohm they had me use like two 23 Ohm ones.

dan99iel said:
Its big and chunky but it works doesnt it? lol.... Is it better than the provided 1?

Yes it is big and clunky and yes it works. But like most prototypes it is just that. A test. At this point I haven't tested their life span yet. The person who designed it said it would only last a few hours on the 9V battery. So I can make a plug in option, which will let you have the sensor far away from the Wii. That will help people with projection TV's. I'll have to see if I can make a AA or AAA version and make it last longer.

It is just as good as the one provided. All the regular one is, is LED's and so is this. Neither is anything really special.

ABC said:
It depends on the battery casing you use and the resistor you use in the signal flow chain. I am thinking of going with a 47 Ohm resistor with a 2 AAA battery enclosure. It pumping alittle more power than the video I posted so the batteries will drain quicker, but it should give you more strength as more power is getting to the Infrared LED.

So here's how it's going to look:

I am going to use a smaller resistor (47 ohms)
6 High-Output LEDS (3 on each of the 2 battery enclosures)
2 AAA Battery Enclosures (Holds 2 batteries each)
2 On-Off Switches
A solder gun and some times out of my busy ass life

Should be done by next monday.

wow you talk smart!

I used the schematics from youtube and it worked just fine... I think i may need to try AA batteries or a lower powered resistor, im using 47-ohm and its not as strong as the regular sensor bar... mine goes about 10 feet... here is a picture of one taped up next to one without tape... and the packaging for the resistor
<br>
sensor.jpg

eh, just use 2 standard remotes!!! works better than any sensor bar!! lol, jk

ok so I built that about 5 days ago, and just today posted the pics of my project... I just started messing with it again tonight and realised that the reason it didnt have as much range is that one of them was mislabled for on and off, and realised this when I took them both apart for pictures.

I now have almost the same range as the standard wii bar, I should be able to increase it by increasing the power output, but my problem now is my home made sensor bar doesnt seem to like to pick up from anything but a straight line out...

just wondering if anyone has an idea of what I could do to get more range on the sides of the sensor bar I made

NintendoWiiMASTER said:
Abc where can i get some IR diodes?

in the US you can usually go to Fry's or Radioshack for electrical components. Sorry, I don't know anything about canada besides the beer and cheaper meds, so you're on your own for that :p just check any electrical component store, or you might have to settle for buying it online

and methinks that increasing the power to the IR LED wont really increase the distance of the wiimote. however, you have made the sensor bar wireless, so that means you can move it closer to you. just put a table or stool between you and the TV and that'll increase your range. that or if you dont want to go through the trouble of making your own sensor bar, just use the official sensor bar in the same way, the wire is actually pretty long.

note though, that you make sure no one passes by and rips that thin little delicate wire :p

-SpideyKonfusion :D

ABC said:
Haha, I might make a few more if it works better than the regular... which it most definitely will, for whoever wants them.

Hey do you think i get have one. Id pay for it as well saw the video looks awesome as heck maybe ill make my own i just need the LED's. I have everything else.

Back