Come on, Nintendo!!!!!!!

shady78 said:
I work in the web industry and I know for a fact that companies these days have drones scouring the web to soak in public opinion about their products.

If Nintendo was interested in the public opinon then why would they disregard suggestions you send them(like you stated before) :smilewinkgrin:

When you have something that allows updates such as the Wii or a PC MMORPG game like WOW, they rely heavily on public opinion and can make those fixes through patches but, like you said, they have to get the opinion somehow. I just think that, if you feel so strongly about it, you might as well send it to them. You can post your opinion, that's what the forum is for mostly, but if you are going to write a formal letter like that, you might as well send it to Nintendo.

shady78 said:
That may or may not be true (specific details about in-game connectivity are scant), but I disagree with you on a more fundamental level. You (and some others in this thread) seem to have a very narrow view that online connectivity is merely for hooking up to play games.

I think I have made it plenty clear on many a threads that I am an avid PC gamer. And PC gaming online is far better than xbox. So actually I have quite an astute idealism on online gaming.

WiiLink said:
If Nintendo was interested in the public opinon then why would they disregard suggestions you send them(like you stated before) :smilewinkgrin:

Interestingly enough, opinions posted in public places (like a forum) are more likely to catch a company's eye than individual messages to, say, their customer service depts. The difference is in the nature of discussion, context, etc. This didn't used to be so true, say, 10 years ago, but most companies are have become more internet savvy.

And hey, maybe I will create a real petition later, but that wasn't really my intention.

Its free, so I rather have numbers than a Gametag if that saves me 50 bucks.
The only thing I hate about the online is they need you to be able to talk to people on a Microphone besides that its great.

vagrant said:
I think I have made it plenty clear on many a threads that I am an avid PC gamer. And PC gaming online is far better than xbox. So actually I have quite an astute idealism on online gaming.

Er. My point there was that it is not just about the gaming itself, nor about whether you can hook up to play online games, although those items would certainly be improved by a better system. The deeper issue is really a social-networking usability aspect - the ability for the user community to connect with each other easily.

Software coming out is tied to this functionality - for example, Mii, as I already mentioned, but also Elebits (exchanging maps, etc). So this system is already being used, and I'm pretty sure it will be relied on more and more in the future. And it's great, I like the concept - it opens a lot of new possibilities for online entertainment experience. But I hate the implementation. The implementation does not carry the concept. Wii is supposed to be targeted at a wide audience - this means it has to be easy and simple to use all features, including this connectivity system. Right now, that is not the case.

Anyway, I play a lot of PC online too, but I've never used anything XBox. However, from what I've read and hear, they're doing exactly this. I don't know of any centralized PC platform upon which you can browse other users, add them, start gaming with them, etc. On PC, it's always specific to the game (WoW, Unreal, Need for Speed, etc.) - sometimes the implementations are nice, sometimes they're really crap.

WiiLink said:
why the hell would you want to see a list of rooms with the people in them? Who the hell cares about the people? Either you know them, and they're in your friends list, or they are just random people anyway. As Vagrant said, there will be a lobby and the codes are for adding specific friends....just like in DS.

Then how do you make friends online? i live in california, and if i have played some in canada, who happens to be a good player how do i add him to the friend list. call him and give him my code and then he gives me his code (that is sooooo gay! :yesnod: )

tank said:
I think what everyone is trying to get to here is this:

We all want it to be a lobby system. Like X-box live. Show us a list of active games and let us pick which one we want to play. What we don't want is a system like MarioKart or Metroid Hunters on DS: "Find X number of random people to play with unless otherwise specified with a friends code"

But don't start making petitions quite yet. Just cool your fires until 2007 when we actually get some online play.

Ah Man! brother:yesnod:

shady78 said:
By offering such a channel upfront, Nintendo is alluding to future functionality of a similar nature. But if they are relying on the current Wii code implementation to carry that, they're off their rockers. For software based on social-networking concepts, a peer discovery component, or user directory is pretty essential. Simple example: If this forum required users to exchange and register 'codes' on both ends before you could read anyone else's postings, would it work at all?
shady78 said:
Secondly, even if it was just for games, requiring game-specific implementations for online play is just poor, outdated systems design. A common system/interface across games is more robust.

I wasn't serious about it being a 'petition', otherwise I would have created some online thing that people can go to. It just seemed like an amusing format to forward my thoughts in. And again, leaving the online connectivity up to the developer is just a poor implementation decision. Each game is going to have its own little way to hook people up, you'll have to learn new methods over again, just to do essentially the same thing. All of this can be avoided by a proper cross-software system. The only beacon of hope is that they haven't released any games with online functionality yet, so maybe we will have that after all - but I'm not crossing my fingers given Nintendo's obvious lack of foresight in designing the Wii code system.

shady78 said:
That doesn't have to come at the cost the isolating, user-error prone shambles that is the Wii code system. Anyway, we don't really know how games will be implementing their online play at the moment. Needless to say, though, it is entirely possible to have a system that is easier to use than the current Wii codes, and still choose to play with just friends. This isn't rocket science.
shady78 said:
Also, I don't think it's too early to discuss the Wii code implementation. I mean, we already have the product in our hands. The system is implemented. When are you supposed to talk about it? Once they've screwed up the actual online-gaming element as well? In any case, this *is* a forum about Wii Online, and this *is* a thread about the crappiness of the Wii code system, so I don't think discussion about that is out of place here.

Software coming out is tied to this functionality - for example, Mii, as I already mentioned, but also Elebits (exchanging maps, etc). So this system is already being used, and I'm pretty sure it will be relied on more and more in the future. And it's great, I like the concept - it opens a lot of new possibilities for online entertainment experience. But I hate the implementation. The implementation does not carry the concept. Wii is supposed to be targeted at a wide audience - this means it has to be easy and simple to use all features, including this connectivity system. Right now, that is not the case.

Anyway, I play a lot of PC online too, but I've never used anything XBox. However, from what I've read and hear, they're doing exactly this. I don't know of any centralized PC platform upon which you can browse other users, add them, start gaming with them, etc. On PC, it's always specific to the game (WoW, Unreal, Need for Speed, etc.) - sometimes the implementations are nice, sometimes they're really crap.
Get a thesaurus.

Last edited:
Suriously!
The Nintendo Wii is a young system! The Wii is young, there are many years ahead where we will get more features and more games. The odds are that they will have to update the online system for it. Just be patient. It was because of this issue that i wasnt going to get my wii, but i changed my mind to the fact that not every system comes out perfect and because of the wii's capablility to update, it will be a perfect system, soon.

Why do they have game specific friend codes? If Pokemon for the Wii is operating in the same way that the DS has been, why would anyone expect it to change? I don't, and I will only spend my time sharing game specific codes with my close friends and family. If they aren't on, I will resign myself to playing nameless people which beats the hell out of playing a crappy ass AI.

JerrodDRagon said:
Its free, so I rather have numbers than a Gametag if that saves me 50 bucks.
The only thing I hate about the online is they need you to be able to talk to people on a Microphone besides that its great.
In pokemon revolution, if youre using your ds, you can use voice chat

and they are only doing the friend code thing for specific matches/trades with friends

I do know there is a lobby system for battles, and a trading post message board search system for tradeing where its states what others are trading and what they would like for it, so you could message them saying you got the pokemon they want or the other way around

Last edited:
Back