Communicating during online game play...

weedle

WiiChat Member
Dec 10, 2007
I got my kids the Wii for XMAS this year. Along with the Wii, I got a ton of games and accessories to go with it. My son is really into the online gaming thing (he plays XBOX Live). I know he is going to want to play online with the Wii Christmas day so I want to make sure he has everything in order to do it. My question is...Is there is a headset/communicator available for the online game play? I am assuming there has to be a way to communicate with others while playing online. He has one for xbox, so I was thinking they would probably have one for the Wii, but I can't seem to find one. Any help on where to get one (if it is even made) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

There is none for the Wii.

Nintendo thinks it's too dangerous for us "Kids" to give away our privacy by using audio and stuff ^-^

though I hope they change that way of thinking at some point.

Wow, thats too bad. I think that has got to be one of the most important parts of online gaming.

It is, especially in team-based games. However, Nintendo acknowledges that most of the consumers purchasing a wii will be children and I think they know what words get tossed around on xbox live (and any other online gaming network). They don't really want to expose children to that, which is why voice chat is missing from most games and why friendcodes are still used. However, not only children buy the wii, as evidenced by many wii testimonials.

If he just wants to talk to his friends however, he could set up a teamspeak line on a computer/laptop and talk to them through that while playing. This is a lot of work though, and your computer/laptop would have to be within a decent (cord length) proximity to your Wii.

S.C.A.R. said:
If he just wants to talk to his friends however, he could set up a teamspeak line on a computer/laptop and talk to them through that while playing. This is a lot of work though, and your computer/laptop would have to be within a decent (cord length) proximity to your Wii.

Yeah, thats what I was going to say. Teamspeak works well or even just AIM if you are close to a computer/laptop.

I imagine Nintendo will release some sort of communication device for the wii, since there is a headset for the Nintendo DS.

Really? I knew there was some way to communicate over the DS but i didn't know it was a headset. I thought you just had to use the built in mic.

Yeah you would think they would have that since communication with other people is the whole purpose of online game play, but naaahhh.

Hopefully something comes out next year though...

If not, it seems like teamspeak is the way to go. Hopefully some games will have a teamspeak server for you to join or something so you can talk to everyone in the game, instead of just your friends.

Microphones are a bad idea, i played xbox live, it is full of immature little brats swearing at each other.

Yes, but in teams games it is crucial to be organized. Otherwise it's chaos. Also talking to the people you are playing with makes it more entertaining, whether or not the crap they say is retarded. And yes, almost everyone on Xbox live does appear to be a little whiney *****. Wiiplayers hopefully won't be such jackasses.

the ds also has a built in mic.
the lite does anyways :)

Deity said:
Microphones are a bad idea, i played xbox live, it is full of immature little brats swearing at each other.
so true on nfsu2 i was raceing agast some friends and some white kid started talking like he was black going "yo yo yo wad up ni**az whats goin down in this beotch you f**king noobs are slow as hell why dont you suck my mother f***ing di*ck!!!" screaming as loud as he could and he was still stalk and he was just pissing us off and then he invited a bunch of his 9 year old friends who all acted the same its so dam annoying

Back