Considering getting Wii online

CHGN

WiiChat Member
Jul 4, 2007
I want get my Wii Connected the internet. The only problem is that i dont have a wireless network and am pretty sure that something like the Nintendo Wii Wifi USB thing doesn't have a big enough range to get to my Wii. I only have one room with internet acces in my house and it can't be moved (the guy who set up the Internet in my house had to make it so the signal for the Internet went only to 1 room due to too many phone jacks in my house that caused a weak signal). The Wii is set up 2 floors down (+20 feet) in my game room. I'm pretty sure that it's too much interference for the Nintendo Wii Wifi USB Thing.

I was just wondering if i should:
1. Buy the Nintendo Wii wifi USB thing.
2. Buy an alternative like the Wifi MAX, which is supposed to have a bigger range but i hear really sucks
3. Buy a router and if so which one would work best (My computer is right next to the phone jack the signal comes out of so i don't want to have to buy anything to recieve the signal for my computer's internet connection)
or
4. An alternative i haven't thought of.

THNX in advance

PS- There aren't many Gaming/Computer stores around my house and i haven't gotten the money together for this yet so i don't have the luxury of trying out everything. I just want to know for when the time comes to get it, because I'm like that

Wireless router, no doubt. Any $40 Wireless G router will do. D-Link, Netgear, Linksys...all good brands.

So any router that runs 802.11b?
The one I was thinking of was the D-Link Xtreme G 802.11g Wireless Router (DI-624) since its on sale at Future Shop right now and it uses a 802.11b wifi signal. Will that one work for me then?

Well you mentioned that your internet provider set it up so that the signal would reach no further than that specific room. So wouldn't you already have a wireless router? If not, I recommend Lynksys. If it doesn't get a strong enough signal, which I doubt will happen, consider buying a wireless USB reciever along with your new router.

I heard that theres no need for the receiver though, it's just another way for companies to take your money.

The Signal only goes to one phone jack, the one in my room, which i use for my dsl connection. There was no need for a router since the computer was in my room already. Anways, so all I need is a router that transmits 802.11b, preferably a linksys. I get that.

Will i need a usb reciever to for my pc or do wireless routers come with an output jack for my pc ethernet plug or can i just use a splitter on the phone jack (probably stupid question)?

Go for 802.11g, although I doubt you could find a router these days that doesn't do both b and g.

That helps but it doesn't answer my question about whether or not I need a USB reciever for my computer. When i looked at the router i saw it had 5 ethernet ports, 4 of them were together and the forth was off a bit to the side. Can i use one of the 4 that are together to plug it directly to my PC or will I need the USB reciever?

Usually the port that is off by it self is the WAN port. This is the port you plug the network (CAT 5) cable in from your internet device. In your case the DSL modem. Then other 4 ports are for the switch that is part of the router. You can plug any (computer) device into those ports you choose. The Wii has wireless out of the box. If you want to use that make sure you get the wireless router people have been talking about above. If you want to use a wired connection, you will need to buy the LAN Adapter. I don't know how much that is. I heard somewhere that it runs about 30 dollars.

If you don't want to buy a new router, you will need to buy the USB Connector. It plugs into an available USB port on your computer. (There is software to install too - you must be running Windows XP. It doesn't work with Mac or Vista)

Get an LAN adapter. So far wii online is just ok.... Except for virtual console!!!
I've spent more time with vc games than actual wii games

Thanks for your help
I'm going to get the router ASAP

Back