Cooler Stand dodgy

DrMclony

Net Exile in lowtech land
Jan 15, 2007
Earlier this week, I bought a cooler stand, playmax brand, and stuck it under my wii. I then wrote a lengthy scathing review because I was truely dissapointed. I ended up not hitting the "submit button" because I felt I was too scathing, but could not bring myself to lighten it.

Having given it a few days, I think I can write something more even handed:

In gameplay, it is ok - there is a significant reduction of temperature during play. In standby, it sux. In standby, there is a significant INCREASE of the temperature of my wii some of the time, and the rest of the time there is no change over having the standard base.

The blue lights that flank the wii are far too bright - blindingly so, they have none of the subtle flair of the wii's slot light.

The unit itself is much larger than the normal wii stand, and there are some major floors in its design from a cooling perspective -
* the use of a fan with a solid casing that blocks all airflow that is on the horizontal
* the ground clearance is minimal so that leaves the fan with nowhere to send that air
* insufficient grill cutting - too much of the fans surface area is obstructed - around 65-70%,
* and the fact it makes SO MUCH noise! - seriously, it sounds like a truck, though partly no doubt due to the obstruction of the air as that would generate noise

Further, the usb power lead is too short - you have to stretch it to reach the wii's ports.

And its ugly to boot.

Previously I gave it 1/10 on all counts, now I am willing to push that up to around 3 or 4. Has anybody else tried one of these things, and how have you found it?

Back