Could the Wii be capable of having good graphics?

firedragon said:
I bet your PS3 will soon be gathering dust as well, since no one wants to make games for it ;). I use the Wii all the time, I sold my PS3 (thank god) because I can't find a game that is worth playing, yeah graphics are good, but what's the point if the gameplay sucks.

I disagree with you completly, you just said the Ps3 gameplay sucks, the Ps3 has better gameplay in one of it's games than the Wii has in it's entir libary. Apart from Zelda and a few others(oly games with decent gameplay), Wii's gamplay is not better than the Ps3, there only good for a few mins when you have some mates round, you'll regret getting rid of your Ps3, il put money on it:wink:

Ps. Wii, fed up with it after 2 weeks with 8 games for it! Ps3 been playing it for at least 5 hrs+ a day with only 3 games for it for 3 weeks now, don't need my mates around to enjoy it, i prefer playing my Ps3 on my own and stop making retarded quotes, you'll find devs don't want to make games for the Wii if you look it up on Google because it can't handle anything decent, big games etc. If developers stop making games for Sony, Sony will jus make its own games, they don't need to rely on third party developers when they've got first party.

Last edited:
---Brian--- said:
I disagree with you completly, you just said the Ps3 gameplay sucks, the Ps3 has better gameplay in one of it's games than the Wii has in it's entir libary. Apart from Zelda and a few others(oly games with decent gameplay), Wii's gamplay is not better than the Ps3, there only good for a few mins when you have some mates round, you'll regret getting rid of your Ps3, il put money on it:wink:

Ps. Wii, fed up with it after 2 weeks with 8 games for it! Ps3 been playing it for at least 5 hrs+ a day with only 3 games for it for 3 weeks now, don't need my mates around to enjoy it, i prefer playing my Ps3 on my own and stop making retarded quotes, you'll find devs don't want to make games for the Wii if you look it up on Google because it can't handle anything decent, big games etc. If developers stop making games for Sony, Sony will jus make its own games, they don't need to rely on third party developers when they've got first party.

Yeah - not quite sure how you arrive at the whole "gameplay sucks" comment and then go on to say "..apart from...." Taking the whole, my hardwares bigger than your hardware argument out of it - have you played Godfather and SSX on the Wii - both core games with a tonne of solid gameplay which you can't emulate without the Wii controller - single player games at that. Zelda [which you mention] also single player [and a few others?!]

If you're fed up with Wii games - then maybe they aren't the games you really enjoy playing or maybe you just picked up 8 bad games for it :sick: Your reply reads as a contradiction...

Sony will come good with shed loads of titles worthy of the PS3's price tag - Wii is already coming up with some tasty looking titles, with innovative control systems which will hopefully add more than a little to the gameplay over other versions, and why not!

Each system has something different to offer - it's just that Nintendo have innovated a little more and spread their bets on a wider audience to boot...

CyanRussel said:
I agree with that, could have said it any better!!!!

All nintendo did was spread, the lovable console to a wider audience then just hardcore gamers!!!

And thats supposed to be a good thing? sure it is for the company, but it genrally means that you as a consumer will be less satisfied with the final product

rockkybox said:
And thats supposed to be a good thing? sure it is for the company, but it genrally means that you as a consumer will be less satisfied with the final product

Or YOU as a consumer? What if we're open-minded enough to like all the techniques Nintendo's utilized to spread gaming around?

Is it because they've enhanced their player library that I'LL be less satisfied? Hell no! More people = fun! I'm suprised how easy it is to get a game against someone on Mario Strikers Charged Wi-Fi!

Who can agree that the graphics on that game are amazing?

Anyway, mate ... if you look up resolutions and high-definition, you'll soon learn that our brain can only comprehend so much. Most of these silly attitudes people have created towards the Wii's graphics are based on /other/ factors with no relevance to graphical hardware capabillity.

I'm suprised such a small resolution of only 480P can look so sexy!

...I've said many times before ... technology is far too new. We haven't yet fully taken advantage of what we HAVE yet. Let's try this... play Mario Strikers Charged in 480P. Now imagine it in 1080P. What's the difference? List them all for me, because I'm freaking interested to read it.

I'll list one thing for you. The size of the view. >.<
Number followed by signal type = [width x height](signal)
480P / 720P / 480i / 720i / 1080P / 1080i

LuzTeTT said:
Anyway, mate ... if you look up resolutions and high-definition, you'll soon learn that our brain can only comprehend so much. Most of these silly attitudes people have created towards the Wii's graphics are based on /other/ factors with no relevance to graphical hardware capabillity.

so i am supposed to take from this that HDTV has not only reached, but passed our eyes ability to see fine details? well that's absolutely ridiculous. a simple test for this is to get a 360 and a hdtv and try a game on 480p and then on 1080i, see a difference? if not then you have eye trouble. Wikipedia defines 480p with either 704x480 (non-square sampling) or 640x480 (square sampling) pixel resolutions, try setting your monitor onto them, and see if you can see any difference from your normal resolution, while a computer monitor is obviously put to very different uses than a TV, this still proves that the human eye can perceive more at better resolutions.

As for the rest of your post I'm not really sure what your trying to say, you start by saying that you like nintendo's approach, which i can see as perfectly understandable, but the fact that its easy to find another player on mario strikers is not evidence for this. anyway cheers for listing me the erm 'the size of the view'?

Last edited:
Nemix said:
Just look a Twlilight Princess, it's a Gamecube game polished up a little for the Wii. I think the graphics look amazing when compared to my PS2 with FFX and FXII loaded. Just think how the next exclusive Wii Zelda title would look. It's obvious the Wii can't compare to the XBox 360 and PS3 when it comes to textures, sharpness and resolution. But that doesn't mean the Wii can't produce games that look as good as XBox 360 and PS3 games. I mean the Wii is capable of doing advanced lighting, texture fill rates and physics, just all in low res (jaggies could be hidden with advanced motion blurring).

Bottom line is the Wii graphics surpass all those of last gen gaming systems, and if developers put a more effort in a graphical stand point of view into their games, (which I think they'll start doing now due unexpected high sales) they could make Wii games look amazing. We'll just have to wait and see what the future holds for the Wii...
yea the graphics are good

rockkybox said:
so i am supposed to take from this that HDTV has not only reached, but passed our eyes ability to see fine details? well that's absolutely ridiculous. a simple test for this is to get a 360 and a hdtv and try a game on 480p and then on 1080i, see a difference? if not then you have eye trouble. Wikipedia defines 480p with either 704x480 (non-square sampling) or 640x480 (square sampling) pixel resolutions, try setting your monitor onto them, and see if you can see any difference from your normal resolution, while a computer monitor is obviously put to very different uses than a TV, this still proves that the human eye can perceive more at better resolutions.

As for the rest of your post I'm not really sure what your trying to say, you start by saying that you like nintendo's approach, which i can see as perfectly understandable, but the fact that its easy to find another player on mario strikers is not evidence for this. anyway cheers for listing me the erm 'the size of the view'?

What?

1080P is about the maximum quality that we can perceive. Anything higher than that is just an upgrade of size and that's all we will soon be able to tell.
It's only a matter of time before the resolutions don't make much difference to us...

I didn't say there was no difference between 1080i and 480P. >.< I don't know where you got that from...

CyanRussel said:
So, are you less satisfied with the product?
If so, its probaly b/c you dont likt the graphics of it

Good comment CyanR - when we actually get down to it, what exactly is the reason that everyone is demanding that Wii become this powerhouse of graphics? I have played games for 20+ years and seen thousands with piss poor graphics but enjoyable gameplay. I for one think that if the graphics do their job and flow with a passable framerate and actuall conveys the sense of the situation as it is meant to then - no worries, I don't feel hard done by or ripped off. Of course if the graphics make your eyes bleed and dance about in a South Park style then sure - complain hard and loud.

As for the Wii - I personally haven't seen a game which made my eyes bleed although there has been some questionable animation!!! It does what Nintendo said it did - upto now.

The control systems in games need to start coming together properly and yes the graphics sprucing up a bit more - it will come. The real issue for me is definately the control system advancement - give me that over graphics any day of the week.

If you're going to post in this thread, c'mon and give some depth to your comment - "Game looks sh**e" and leave it at that doesn't validate why it's a bad game - or even if you enjoyed playing it!!

This is such a diverse topic that one word / sentence postings don't explain why you expect supergood graphics from a machine not in the running with the other systems - I don't believe that Nintendo are saying "We don't rely on graphics for this system to work" and will then secretly pull out PS10 / XB720 graphical capabilities, just for the craic of course :wink: It aint going to happen!!

Back