Could the Wii be capable of having good graphics?

cost less doesn't mean they'll pick it. a few games wii can't do - mgs 4 and ff series. those games are all developed by 3rd party developers. where are you going to see a FF-like game on wii in terms of the graphics? square-enix will be putting out all they got because FF series is based on improved graphics from game to game. FF series won't suddenly jump from sony to nintendo just because they are selling better and because they have a controller that has motion sensors. you think kojima will settle for anything less? a controller? no, a controller brings out a new form of gameplay; we are talking graphics here. i based my pervious post solely on graphics.

Last edited:
1 word answer "No", it can produce good graphics if you compare it to last gen consoles, but its graphics are pathetic compared to the next gen consoles, Ps3 and 360 so it just depends what you compare it too.

"good graphics..." too broad man. what is good graphics? any of the current gen and next gen consoles have graphics that are considered as good. but we are talking about "next-gen".

right now, the next-gen consoles' "good graphics" is being defined on games on the PS3 and the XBOX 360 and not on the Wii. hence the question - could wii be capable of having good graphics?

we are not comparing it to last gens consoles. as this thread is saying - "capable of having good graphics". well if this IS a next gen console, which the Wii is, then we should be comparing it to the other next gen consoles. why are we comparing to the last gen consoles when the next-gen consoles should have better graphics?

that is funny, because wii does have better graphics, but it's not an improvement by leaps if we are to compared say the ps2 and the ps3 games.

so far all the next-gen games on ps3 and xbox 360 beats the crap out of the wii.

so back to the main topic, is it capable? i would say better graphics yes, ps3 and xbox 360 type graphics, wait for the wii2 or something cause it ain't happening with the wii.

Last edited:
I would like to state that Reggie himself said that the Wii is NOT a next-gen system but a "new-gen." What does that mean? Nintendo was fed up with trying to keep up with the "power" group. Developers were complaining that although the systems offered more power, they were adversely more expensive to develop for. Nintendo listened. Fmilies complained that games were becoming too hard to play. Nintendo listened. Parents were concerned that these newer and newer game machines would increase cost throughout the household. Nintendo listened. They sat down and came up with the most cost friendly console they could create, while at the same time gaining profit. The Wii was created off of these basis. They could have made a "uber" powerful console but when you have 3 giants, no one stands out. Enjoy your Wii. If you prefer better graphics, purchase something else. Things will get better with time.

so assuming that i understand you correctly, the wii won't ever be able to compete with ps3 or xbox 360 in terms of graphics. then this thread should be closed because you are right, time will create better graphics and i think that a majority of the gamers have the common sense to realize that, but it looks like it's not going to be something that makes my nuts move or something that blows away the competion.

Haha.... nuts move!?

No, do not expect game on par with PS3 or XBox360. Especially PS3, because no developer has utilized it 100%. This thing is only running at like less than half it's capabilites. To be honest, no one knows how much the Wii uses for it's games. Me personally, if I fire up a game and it's so real that the character sweat from individual pores and each eye blink is different from the last blink. I may as well strap up and go outside and do those things. People play games to escape reality. I prefer some "less than real" graphics. Reflections of eyeballs is good but when characters have individual tongue muscles and everything else, that's a little too reality for me.

XwiimasturX said:
You can't base graphics in an open world off of spiderman 3. That's like basing the graphical power of the ps3 off of Gundam. Take Zelda for example, I know that it didnt even hit the top of what the wii can do, but it proves that good graphics in an open world for the wii CAN BE DONE!
I dont know about you but Gundam looked, duh, better then Spiderman 3 on Wii. It was ported from 360 so it didnt have half as much as it could have but it didnt leave anything out as well.

Zeldas not the best open world example, like Shadow of the Colossus isnt a great example for the PS2. Its a very good looking game but its very empty, which i will say again, THE LESS THERE IS TO RENDER THE BETTER A GAME WILL LOOK.

Someone said something about Nintendo listening? Making an easy system for all? Did you think they were losing money and had no choice but to make a cheap system? The best part is, you talk about how affordable it is. Its tech thats cheaper then 250, they could have sold it for 200 or 150 but they wanted to make money off it. Sony is losing 250 APRX off each console. Could they have went at a higher price? Yes but they wanted it to be in range of a decent price.

If you would for a moment re-read what I wrote you will see that I said they were out to make a profit. What company wouldn't!? Sony was SO cocky because the PSOne and PS2 dominated their generations that they crammed SO much into these systems and figured the user base will allow software sales to make up for the lose per system sold. NOBODY banked on the Wii, not even majority of the Nintendo fanbase. Everybody joked at the name Wii and wrote the system off. It is not Nintendo's fault that they created a working formula. Now I do enjoy the PS3 just like the next owner but don't knock Nintendo for paying attention to changing times versus cramming in more powerful technology.

Wii games in the future are supposed to have far more better graphics then there is now. NP said that the games graphics out now are far less capable of what the wii can do.

I dont have to knock the Wii or Nintendo. It doesnt matter what I say or devs say, some people think the Wii will have super amazing graphics and i agree, it can. Like I said, they will reduce what it has to render, make things smaller, cut up and sectioned insanely.

MP3 will look great, I promise you it will be room after room and i highly doubt they will be very big.

Like arcticreaver said, devs dont want to make games for it. It has a new controller, well thats not enough.

This is about the Wii's graphical capabilities. Yes it will be good, no it will not be amazing. There wont be many open world games, it just cant handle them properly. Like it or not, thats the truth.

Why would it matter if the Wii looks good or not? You just care about graphics more then you say.

Nintendo is only making $50 for each wii sold. They could of sold them for alot more, just look how much they're going on ebay.

I was talking about the tech they put into it. They could have sold it for $50 less, sold more, reduced the production cost, and made money. Everything is more expensive on eBay anyways. They could have sold PS3 for $2,5000. So whats your point?

Last edited:
---Brian--- said:
Id say exactly the same thing about the Ps3, think what that will be like when were already seeing graphically amazing games like Motor Storm, next few years are something to look forward too.

I bet your PS3 will soon be gathering dust as well, since no one wants to make games for it ;). I use the Wii all the time, I sold my PS3 (thank god) because I can't find a game that is worth playing, yeah graphics are good, but what's the point if the gameplay sucks.

Gymdawg said:
The Wii is capable of anything you've seen on the last gen consoles plus some. Unfortunately, most third-party developers are douchefaces who still view it as a kiddie system and as a result just dump crap graphics onto their half-assed games.

Pricks.

Very true. Its easier for some Devs to simply port it to Wii from the PS2 - hence the last gen graphics.

Nice sig btw, Muse rock! :yesnod:

GamerCon said:
They could have sold PS3 for $2,5000.

I just wanted to point out that you put your comma in the wrong spot.

Back on topic:

I think the Wii has the power but it's not getting much support from 3rd parties. If big names like Capcom and Sega would make some more games for the wii it could be great. I see too many of Nintendo seals in games.

Back