Dance dance revolution : Hottest party

Anybody in Canada found the game yet? Can't find it here!

LoganSix said:
Do the circuit, it helps with learning how to use it.

I second that! I've never done this before either, and anything higher than absolute beginner mode makes me feel like a colorblind drunk playing Twister on a greasy mat--but it's getting better real fast!

One thing I noticed on Workout mode is that the skill levels of the songs aren't easy to tell--am I missing something? I kinda figured out by accident that "Blue Monday" and anything immediately following it was within my skill level on Beginner mode. But if you spin through and pick one out at random--watch out!

Also, with the circuit--I think it's curious that they unlock the other venues before you're really ready for them. I've gotten B's now on Beginner and Basic (this is after an hour or so of LATE night playing) but it's still not enough to prepare you for even beginner level on the next venue. Now I can really appreciate how good a good player is!

Spotnik said:
One thing I noticed on Workout mode is that the skill levels of the songs aren't easy to tell--am I missing something?

You choose the skill level on the left, then pick any song.
The controls are a little iffy, since you can use the pad, the pointer, and the D-pad to select stuff.

LoganSix said:
So, you dance without moving your arms and hands?

Yes, I play DDR the way it was origionated, without hands. And if you're refering to how I dance in general, no, hands is fine, but DDR isn't how you're supposed to dance. It's just a very fun game which just has been destroyed.

manufan15 said:
Yes, I play DDR the way it was origionated....

So, any improvement on the way a game is played, basically destroys the game?
That is some pretty narrow minded thinking right there.

Do you not play Street Fighter type games anymore, because now you can use 6 buttons instead of 2?

Do you not play First Person Shooters anymore, because now you can chat on a head phone with other players?

Do you not play Zelda anymore, because now you can swing your controller like a sword instead of pushing a button?

Will you not play Medal of Honor anymore, because now you can actually point at the screen using something that more resembles a gun?

Hottest Party still uses the dance pad, but now it tries to make dancing more like real dancing by including hand movements. It is still "dancing", which is the name of the game Dance Dance Revolution.

Do you not play Metroid anymore because it's a FPS instead of a 3rd person platformer?

Did you not play Halo 2 because of the ability to dual wield?

Do you not play new Sonic the Hedgehog games because they get terrible reviews? (oh.. right..)

This is actually kinda fun.. thinking of how our favorite games have evolved over time..

The thing about DDR with or without hands is kinda like the difference between irish and scottish dancing--same footwork (for the most part), just different from the waist up.

I see DDR people using their hands all the time, but it's improvised and free form. I could see where some of them might feel like it's cramping their style. I'm wondering if a noob like myself, learning with the 'motes right out of the gate would have any adjustment issues with "traditional" DDR. To me it's already starting to feel normal.

maxpouliot said:
Anybody in Canada found the game yet? Can't find it here!

Yep. Up here it's $69.99 at EB Games. I got the money, just gotta convince Mom to let me buy it instead of make it a Christmas present.(don't comment that, I hate my damn life enough)

PS: ITS NOT ALWAYS SNOWING ALL THE TIME UP HERE!!!:mad5:

LoganSix said:
So, any improvement on the way a game is played, basically destroys the game?
That is some pretty narrow minded thinking right there.

Do you not play Street Fighter type games anymore, because now you can use 6 buttons instead of 2?

Do you not play First Person Shooters anymore, because now you can chat on a head phone with other players?

Do you not play Zelda anymore, because now you can swing your controller like a sword instead of pushing a button?

Will you not play Medal of Honor anymore, because now you can actually point at the screen using something that more resembles a gun?

Hottest Party still uses the dance pad, but now it tries to make dancing more like real dancing by including hand movements. It is still "dancing", which is the name of the game Dance Dance Revolution.

For me, it just sucks the fun right out of the game. I just don't think it's a good idea. DDR is different from those other games. It doesn't contain a controller. It's for people who want to get in shape, and want a good arcade game. I don't think people will bring their wiimotes to the arcade so they can play DDR. You just put the quarter in and play. DDR was a classic, and classics should not be tampered with.

I just got it today and I played it a few hours ago.... im terrably dissapointed with their choice of starting songs :mad5: also, I dont think there is a challange mode.... wich makes it a bad game, because I was looking foward to somthing similar to the PS2 games... but no, I dont even think it gives you the best DDR songs used to have... it does start you with a dance pad though, and you can turn the hand steps off. (hand steps are the wiimote movements were you shake the wiimote left and right) altogether, I was dissapointed though....

Back