Debate: Driving With Cell Phones

Syntax

That Canucks Fan
Dec 27, 2006
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0001
Basically pretty straight forward.

Question: Do you think there should be laws against driving with cell phones?

If you think think they should be banned discuss your reasoning.

If you don't think they should be banned discuss your reasoning.

Also please refrain from flaming other members.

My opinion is that driving with cell phones should be banned. Not only are they a nuisance they endanger those around you. Also after hearing/watching an episode of Mythbusters they noted that driving while talking on a cell phone is like driving drunk.

Also I know that many people need their cell phone for work etc but they could easily pull over instead of trying to enter the number while driving with one hand.

So what do you think?

We already have a law in the UK which bans anyone from using a cell phone while driving. I completely agree with the ban because it means that people will pay more attention to the road than to their conversation.

We already have a law in the UK which bans anyone from using a cell phone while driving. I completely agree with the ban because it means that people will pay more attention to the road than to their conversation.

I would love to see a law passed that would ban driving with cell phones here in Canada. However I don't think it will happen soon. Unless of course a major incident ie... car crash which was due to someone talking on the phone arises and the law was brought up/passed. Not saying it would be nice to have a major car crash resulting in the introduction of a ban on driving with cell phones but thats the only way I see it happening shortly.

Syntax said:
I would love to see a law passed that would ban driving with cell phones here in Canada. However I don't think it will happen soon. Unless of course a major incident ie... car crash which was due to someone talking on the phone arises and the law was brought up/passed. Not saying it would be nice to have a major car crash resulting in the introduction of a ban on driving with cell phones but thats the only way I see it happening shortly.
Yeah, I think a ban needs to be introduced into all the major countries. This ban was introduced to the UK a while back and it seems to work great.

Another ban I wouldn't mind seeing is a ban on texting while driving. Recently in the US there was a five car incident which was due to one person texting another person on his blackberry.

YES THERE SHOULD BE A LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are 2 things i hate the most, women who put their makeup on in the car while driving and women who talk on their cellphones!!!!

yes i hate women drives (i know im a woman but i bet all of you can relate to it somehow or another)

women cant drive worth a poo these days. with their cellphones stuck on their ears its another excuse not to pay attention to the road. it drives me crazy!

if you pull over in an emergency, i have no problems with that. infact if i see someone pulled over on the side of the road and im at work? i actually pull over and see if they need assistance and if everything is ok.

i also have no problems with handsfree. if i see a headset or bluetooth then awesome youre not dialing the phone and looking down and paying attention to how many bars of service you have.

other than that, the people with the cellphones plastered to their ears?!?! oh you best believe im giving your ass a ticket!

people drive like lunitics when there on their phone at the same time. it gets me so mad:mad5:

If its hands free its ok
But if your holdin it its a prob

Sometimes the people who are using their cell phones hands free tend to pay more attention to the person their talking to instead of the road. However it is a lot better than having the person hold/dialing while driving.

To you people talking about hands-free being okay.

There have been multiple studies showing that they still don't help as much as people think. Dialing the phone takes less "brain power" than the actual conversation. Hm.... I have notes about the different levels of attention/brain use areas from Psychology class.... I'll upload later or something.

I don't think you should have them, it's already been passed in the UK anyway, but still people do it, I think yesterday I saw someone driving with a Magnum in their hands.

Has smoking been passed yet? Because that's just the same, there's no smoking in taxis, yet the driver's smoking whilst no one's in it. There's still dangers to this ¬¬;

Obviously people need to be aware of public information things. But, handsfree, nah, still doesn't work. You'd still have to be thinking about something other than the road.

I'm not even allowed to drive until I'm 17 anyway... >_<

Back